this is strange one!

mazziek

Visit site
Hi,
my 14.2 mare came in a week ago for lesson and didnt feel right when ridden, head very high and not gonig off leg, apparently she looked short on her hind leg, i got off checked for heat etc nothing. Left her for few days and brought her in to lunge her and she been fine, rode her yesterday and she still same, she is 19 so i dont know if she is maybe stiff and needs it worked out, she has been fighting with a fence post but none of her wounds are deep or long, i have cleaned them but again no major heat anywhere and its only when ridden. her back is fine too. im getting the vet out tomo but im not sure what to tell him cause she looks fine till i ride her in trot. Does anyone have any idea what could be bothering her? oh and she is in season too but i have put her on oestress to try see if that was it but no difference.

Cliqmo

Visit site
Might be general stiffness brought on by age? What do you feed her? Are you feeding her less now it is the summer and the grass is through? If this is the case it might be that she needs the supplements/nutrition you were feeding over the winter, or it might be you need to start feeding them/up the dosage. Glucosamine is very good for stiffness
laugh.gif

mazziek

Visit site
she gets applechaff and senir maintience mix, only small scoop it has glucosamine in it. she getting less than what she needs, cos she putting weight on. i will cut down her chaff and inscrease her senior mix, see if that helps.

Cliqmo

Visit site
If you're feeding less than the recommended amounts (and I can understand why if you're watching her weight) perhaps get a vit & min supplement to add to it? I can really recommend Codlivine who do a powder that is broad spectrum vitamins and minerals with cod liver oil... they also do one called 'supple joint supplement' which my Mum feeds her 14yr shire x tb and he looks fabulous on it

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Super-Codlivine-Supple-Joint-Supplement/productinfo/SUPCODSJ/

hrhmika

Visit site
have you thought about teeth? she may have a tooth that is uncomfy and bothers her when the bits is in her mouth or when you take up a contact to trot?