This mare with this stallion?

Kacey88

Visit site
How well do you guys think this mare would suit Hillview Trevelyan? http://www.swiftsgreenstud.co.uk/stallion.htm

Here she is!
millymagoo.jpg

She is 15hh and has a temperament to die for, one of the many reasons I hope to breed from her. Hoping to breed something sensible and versatile from 15hh to 16hh.

All opinions welcome :D

Thistle

Visit site
I like the stallion, he compliments the mare. However , how big is he? Is she a maiden?
She looks slightly built and he is a powerhouse. I wouldn't want to go too big on that mare.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Stallion is only 15.1.

If OP wants substance out of the mare she will have to put substance on the mare.

I would have thought the result would be a 16h all round type lightish cob/riding horse.

Monkers

Visit site
I agree with Thistle, he's a big boy! Do you want to breed something more substantial than your mare?

For me, I would like to improve on her shoulder and her neck is a little short. Also, she appears to be croup high. Looking at the photos of the stallion, whilst he has a good shoulder, I'm not sure he has enough length of rein and could even be a little croup high himself.

Kacey88

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I do want to add substance to her, ideally breed a light weight cob type. She isn't croup high, its what she's standing on. I'll get a better picture of her. She does have a short neck however :eek:

She is not a maiden mare and she has 8.3 inches of bone, I know the stallion is an Irish Draught but he is only 15.1. I can't find any other short Draughts of equal quality to this guy.

Hmmmm, any other stallion suggestions that fit the bill? You guys are great help.

Elsbells

Visit site
I know naut about breeding but I have to say he's fab! The video of him free jumping is very eye opening and shows his mischevious side which I like, he absolutley refuses to be caught because he's having so much fun and continues with the look at me anticts.

If I were to breed from my 16h SFx I would look at him where as prevously I would of just considered Jumbo. Lovely stallion.

Thistle

Visit site
Just got back to this.

At only 15.1 I would use him. He will add quality and substance without coarseness. Was your mares previous foal coloured. I wonder what colour foal you would get

Kacey88

Visit site
Just got back to this.

At only 15.1 I would use him. He will add quality and substance without coarseness. Was your mares previous foal coloured. I wonder what colour foal you would get

I don't know what colour her previous foal was, but unfortunately when I bought her last July she was in foal with twins (I had no idea at the time). She aborted both in October. Both were coloured, one was very like her except had more brown on his back and a black tail. The other was so unusual, had a black forelock with white ears, a white face but two dark eyes. Almost like he was wearing eye liner. I think she'll probably have a coloured foal because she seems to carry more than one coloured gene, possibly tobiano and sabino. I'd love a coloured foal, but mainly want a healthy, well thought out baby! Temperament is very important, but my mare is a saint and that stallion seems very sweet and sensible too. I'm very curious as to what height the foal would end up, I guess you can't really be sure of anything!

DosyMare

Visit site
I know nothing about breeding but I really like that stallion.

As for height that's a guessing game. My baby is 14 months and 15.2hh already. His Sire was 15.1hh 10 inch bone and Dam is 16.2hh.

Last edited:

Kacey88

Visit site
I know nothing about breeding but I really like that stallion.

As for height that's a guessing game. My baby is 14 months and 15.2hh already. His Sire was 15.1hh 10 inch bone and Dam is 16.2hh.

I'm just hoping that 15hh + 15.1hh = something not taller than 16hh! But, you never know! Yours is going to be a very big boy! Who is his sire?

Kaylum

Visit site
Having had a slyguff stallion whose temperament was amazing you can't go far wrong with them. They all look like him too.