This mud fever lark.....

ThomasTank

Visit site
Please dont think I am being horrid to you but I wonder if you are getting those types of comments because you are very particular about matching colours etc. I suspect that if you chill a bit then others will chill around you. You are trying too hard to please every one else and making yourself unhappy and ridden with anxiety . stuff what they say it really doesnt matter.

smokeybabes

Visit site
Mine got a touch of mud fever this year and firslty i cling filmed the legs to get the scabs off, then washed in an antiseptic. I then applied a purple spary consisting of aloe vera and methyl violet. I used this because one of my lectures did some studies on mud fever in vivo and in vitro to look at whether aloe vera actually worked on the organism causing mud fever or just promoted healing. Aloe vera alon worked quite well, both in vivo and in vitro, but combined with methyl violet it was even better.
I now only have one small scab left on one leg.
I kept him for the first 7-10days so legs could be kept clean and dry. I'm now turning out every couple of days so legs have chance to be dry inbetween. I cover legs in liquid paraffin before he goes out to act as a barrier. I leave his legs until the morning then brush mud off, then apply some spray then leave in for a day or 2.

_daisy_

Visit site
no dont think you are at all. It possibly is but I think a lot of it round my area is jealousy. Also 1 big part of my life is my brothers ex GF - shes a bitch and a ahalf and has a lot of input in local things - her mum works at the feed merchant and refuses to serve me even if there is a queue, she is on the commitee for the riding clubs, she knows everyone i know and slates me at every opportunity. She regularly has a go at me in public but i laugh at her which makes her worse adn if she has the opportunity she will try to run into my horse when im loading them!! You could say i take all this personally - well i do.
Re jealousy
ive always got what i wanted for my horses whether they needed it or not. I had a horsebox. I had lovely horses (well i think they are). Weve just bought a brand new equitrek, ive currently got 5 horses, 1 which i bred off my mare. All they see is the material things but they dont see that I work long hours and so does my mum to afford all this.

I do try to please everyone - i know i cant but i try. Also i dont stand no [****] because of many reasons so you could say im volatile

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I know how hard it is for you, I think you've been doing a grand job but all TT and I ask is for you not to wash them!

That doesn't mean not brushing dry mud off, just not washing her socks. A little elbow grease goes a long way, her socks will still be clean just not Daz white! I would be very tempted not to put any type of boots on her either unless you are certain that each leg has cleared up completely; you don't want to be back at square one by her rubbing soft skin again.

Also go easy on the anti-B's, they can easily become immune to them and then you have to use stronger and stronger drugs, not good for the system; try to heal her from inside out not the other way round.

_daisy_

Visit site
i know MFH. i love her to look pristene and i do to some extent realise she cant be in the winter. I think also the reason ive been washing them so much is becuase ive wanted to keep on top of the MF and to see if it appears, then I can treat it sraight away.
Ive always done it this way on my other horses and never had a problem but this horse is omething else!!
will try the no boots no hosing method and see how she fairs. Hopefully the keratex powder will stop it getting to her skin and irratating it more - will have to give another update in a few days.

yes totally understand about the anti B's. Shes only had 2 course for MF in the time ive had her (since a foal) and i wouldnt get them if she didnt need them. I really wasnt happy with the amount of swelling she had last week and vet agreed that she did have an infection so obv thing to do was treat it with anti B's

_daisy_

Visit site
i try to ride passed them with my head in the air but then they think im being snobby - i cant win either way. never mind ive got what i want and they either have or havent. Ive learnt to behave differnetly around them but it either fuels them all the more or they give up. lIke you said its their problem nto mind.

what i cant work out is why my life is so interesting/important to them.
Personally i dont feel that it is that exciting
confused.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also go easy on the anti-B's, they can easily become immune to them and then you have to use stronger and stronger drugs, not good for the system; try to heal her from inside out not the other way round.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, wasn't suggesting ABs should be a standard treatment for MF, was just pointing out that with swollen legs and persistent MF etc vets will prescribe a little extra if it is needed.

ThomasTank

Visit site
just smile sweetly and say hello. that stumps them. dont be snooty or intimidated. if they cant tell you what their problem is then shame on them . not very nice people. others will get to know you if you try and they can make up their own minds.
grin.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, wasn't suggesting ABs should be a standard treatment for MF, was just pointing out that with swollen legs and persistent MF etc vets will prescribe a little extra if it is needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I wasn't having a go and quite understand the need for them in those circumstances. I meant if you continue using them long term which I know some people do and then they wonder why they're not working when they did before if that makes sense - got me confused now!
confused.gif
grin.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
yes thats my new approach.
Every one who has moved out of this group of people have said that they didnt realise I was nice!!! they say they were too narrow minded and followed like little sheep. others just cant believe how they behaved and feel really embarassed by it

ThomasTank

Visit site
well there you are then just keep going and all will be fine. you will naturally relax more and colour coordinating wont be such an issue !!
grin.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I think you've overdone the washing to be honest, once the scabs have come off and the infection has gone you can either go two ways, use keratex and don't wash at all or something as a barrier cream which is why your mate's paraffin oil works. drapolene works too as it creates a waterproof layer over the leg.
I think the boots are making her legs hot and swollen and would therefore avoid them. I once had a white leged horse who got terribly swollen weeping legs overnight, I had left satble bandages on overnight and he reacted to the washing powder used on the bandages.. Think what you wash the boots in? Biological stuff? that could be the problem..

brightmount

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Think what you wash the boots in? Biological stuff? that could be the problem..

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I know some people just let the boots/chaps dry overnight and brush the mud off in the morning, but my method is to hose off the mud, and then put them through a plain water rinse/spin cycle in the washing machine. They come out almost dry and I hang them up overnight but not on the radiators, as direct heat makes them go stiff.

_jetset_

Visit site
I feel I am an absolute pro at the mud fever lark now after Grace's appaling bout of it (it's still there a tiny weeny bit, but controlled now).

I have the Equilibria Close Contacts, and although they do not keep all of the mud out, they certainly keep a lot more out than they let in! I put Keratex Mud Gaurd Powder under the boots and then wash her back legs (the ones that get it) with Hibiscrub when she comes in, and then dab them dry with kitchen roll as towels can be a bit abrasive, but I do use them sometimes.

I also bought some Flamazine cream from the vets to help treat the scabs, and so far we are managing it, although it has not completely gone. She was kept in for 5 weeks (a nightmare) and there was not a huge improvement, so once I had managed to get rid of the majority of scans (with the help of three separate courses of antibiotics) she started going out with her Close Contacts on, and touch wood there are a few scabs dotted about but nothing major!

_daisy_

Visit site
yes i think i have to be honest.
I wash all my horses stuff in fairy non bio powder -if its safe enough for babies then it must be ok for the beaties.

I think youre right about the boots making her legs warm and sweaty even though they arent wet when I bring them in her legs are warm. Maybe ithis is the reason whyher legs are swelling on a night.

Shes gone out this morning with no boots on but lots of Keratex powder on. So plans tonight are to boot her up with the thermatex wraps, brush the mud off tomorrow morning then reapply the powder. It will be interesting to see how swollen her legs are tomorrow compared to this morning - thats if they are at all.

if the keratex doesnt work then i think im going to try either the parafin oil and tea tree that my friend has recommended or the pig oil and sulphur that Theresa_F has recommended - just need to find a supplier of the pig oil near me

_daisy_

Visit site
i used to hose themoff then dry them at home but realised there were bits of grit inside after that. So I got into hanging them in her stable to dry which helped then washing them every couple of days and brushing the inside on a morning.

as of today though no more boots

_daisy_

Visit site
see Rebecca washing Graces legs is working for you but not for Chantin but it did for all my others.
Im really pleased that youve got hers under control i just hope I can get madams sorted asap.
I think if the keratex doesnt work for her im going to try either the parafin oil & tea tree ot the pig oil and sulphur

Fingers crossed nothing happens today as shes gone out bootless
blush.gif

fairhill

Visit site
If you're struggling to find a pig oil supplier then you could try either baby oil or paraffin oil to mix with the sulfur powder.
Another thing that has worked for my mud fever prone is to get some Lincoln Tea Tree cream - it's yellow and similar to protocon, and add some sulfur powder to the cream and plaster on the scabs.
If she's really sore with her skin then how about using a supplement to her feed? I use feel good 30 skin supplement, it's designed for switch itch, but contains zinc, msm etc and is palatable.
It's made a real difference to mine (she's got 4 white legs as well). We don't hose them off at all, just brush them when they're dry, and she's currently just about scab free for the first time in 7 years, which we think has a lot to do with the supplement (and the sulfur powder!).

fairhill

Visit site
I tried homeopathic sulfur for the mud fever on my other mare - her legs exploded! They went septic and I ended up needing the vet for anti-biotics and a fungal shampoo. Could have been coincidence though!

ThomasTank

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I tried homeopathic sulfur for the mud fever on my other mare - her legs exploded! They went septic and I ended up needing the vet for anti-biotics and a fungal shampoo. Could have been coincidence though!

[/ QUOTE ]It was probably the right remedy then because the condition gets worse before it gets better with homeopathy. you could prob try it in a lower potency and it would keep it at bay.

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks for that fairhill. Shes not sore at the moment thank god.
I currently feed her NAF mudgard pwoder. I does seem to work but there is always the chance for them to still get it.
right ill see if I can get some sulphur powder from the feed merchant if not the agricultural merchant. also look at getting pig oil but if not ill try the parafin oil as its thicker than baby oil isnt it?

fairhill

Visit site
Paraffin oil is thicker and a better barrier. I used to get it from boots. I'm only using baby oil now as I can get it free from my OH (with added aloe vera included!)
I got my sulfur powder from an online garden supplier, so if the feed/agri merchant don't have any it might be worth trying a local garden centre.

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks again for that - dont you want to send me some free baby oil with aloe in???? only joking - ill look at getting some parafin oil from the chemist this weekend and call the feed merchant to see if they need to order it in for me.