THIS SITE

gooseman

New User
Visit site
As someone new to this site and as a life-long hunting enthusiast I am amazed by the lack of knowledge of everyone who posts here.

I do not wish to be rude , but, is there no-one on this site who KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS hunting?

Come on all, please let the people with experience answer the questions of those who, obviously, are keen to learn.

winterhorse

Visit site
As someone new to this site and as a life-long hunting enthusiast I am amazed by the lack of knowledge of everyone who posts here.

I do not wish to be rude , but, is there no-one on this site who KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS hunting?

Please do not tar everyone with the same brush, not EVERYONE has a lack of knowledge.
Many thanks, a huntsmans wife.

gooseman

New User
Visit site
If you re-read my post it does say"is there no-one" not there is no-one!

I deliberately wrote this to get a response, so, I am not tarring everyone with the same brush, just trying to get some reaction and thoughts as to how to help those with no knowledge.

As with all hunt staff and their wives, you have my thanks for the fantastic job you do. (Slight grovelling).

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
i am pretty new to this site too and have to say that there are alot of well informed folk on here.yes, there are ones who are wanting to learn and asking advice on things but isn;t this what it's all about?it is encouraging to know that people want to learn the right way about all things to do with both hunting and a myriad of other subjects. i too am a huntsmans wife.

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
no, not at all. it has alot to do with folk being fed up to the back teeth of being dictated to by this lousy government! also, hunting isn't just about "killing anything"it's about having an enjoyable day out on your horse amongst convivial company and watching hounds work!!!

Girlracer

Visit site
Well i don't think i know loads about hunting, i'm 17 and had been out twice before this season but this season i've gotten a new horse and go out quite often. I'm really very keen to learn about everything, i mean i know the basics but there's a lot to it.

I don't think it's fair to criticise someone for not being knowledgeable, i mean we've all got to start somewhere right? None of my family are at all horsey or indeed into coutryside things such as hunting so i have got the interest on my own and am having to learn it all on my own. I think people who are the more experienced should be more willing to help the younger/less experienced generation else in the future there's not going to be anyone interested/knowledgeable to support hunts...

I have to say though since having a whip as an OH i am learning a lot very quickly!! :D

Girlracer

Visit site
Yeah i know that, riding a horse about the countryside isn't the only reason i go either although i have to saythe thrill of following hounds on horseback is part of it for me. But then i have a horse not a terrier or hounds so it's completely different :)

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
Skiddaw lad-no need to be unpleasant. being someone who knew Captain Ronnie Wallace in the good old days and listening to his wisdom i know what i'm referring to. it's NOT just killing foxes as i said but the whole enjoyment of the day.

Sidesaddle

She who knows best
Visit site
Can I just say Lanim - your siggy is waaaaaaaaaay too big and stretches the page. Please can you make it the size laid down by Admin?

Thank you muchly!

:)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
the whole point of going foxhunting was TO KILL foxes , full stop , end of story, not to have a jolly day on a horse or natter to friends . some of us are only interested in three things out hunting
1. HOUNDS
2. TERRIERS
3. FOXES

horses are very low down our list if there at all

I'm afraid 'some of you' are in the minority - and tend NOT to be the ones paying the considerable cost of maintaining a pack of hounds! :grin: Without the mounted followers - a large proportion of whom ARE out for a great ride and an enjoyable day with friends - and who have no real interest in killing foxes - most hunts couldn't survive to cater for anyone else.

Ziggy_

Visit site
Gooseman, you are so right.

I post in New Lounge and am amazed by the number of people who know nothing. And some of the people who post in Comp riders haven't even been round badminton yet!

Bloomin numpties, the lot of you.

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
Ziggy, everyone has to start somewhere! encouragement is what is needed, not sarcasm. we need youngsters to be enthusiastic about hunting to keep it alive- you may be a veteran but you had to start somewhere!! my old man is a huntsman and i take part as much as i can, phone calls, cleaning tack, meets etc- i can honestly say it's refreshing to read these posts and the enthusiasm is terrific!!

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
what a wind up!!i assume you are out of "work" with hunting in the true sense being banned?you talk an absolute load of s---e!! thank god you're not in this area. you want to argue with a huntsman?? haha!! i shan't bother replying next time as it's a waste of my time and yours!

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
It's horses for courses, plenty of forums out there that cater more for the foot packs or those who have always been more interested in the terrier side of hunting activity. A forum is built by its users and what they start discussions on. At the present time there are a lot of people hunting mounted for the first time. This is brilliant and should be encouraged, with the more experienced forumites being on hand to answer questions and explain the myriad forms of hunting.

I do my best to answer what I can or point people to the source of some good info, but I am a relative newbie myself.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It's horses for courses, plenty of forums out there that cater more for the foot packs or those who have always been more interested in the terrier side of hunting activity. A forum is built by its users and what they start discussions on. At the present time there are a lot of people hunting mounted for the first time. This is brilliant and should be encouraged, with the more experienced forumites being on hand to answer questions and explain the myriad forms of hunting.

I do my best to answer what I can or point people to the source of some good info, but I am a relative newbie myself.

And you do a very good job!! (And I'm not a newbie - just don't get much time to come in here now.)

Hunting needs the newcomers - and the youngsters - whether they're out for the ride - or the whole fun of the day. And hounds' JOB, SL, is to do the task they're set to do - be it trailing, or draghunting, or foxhunting within the law (of course! :grin:)

yeeharider

Visit site
the thrill of the hunt for me used to be to cross the country whatever came in front of you. It made your event horse as they never questioned you .Now all routes are planned with non jumping options. Have stopped hunting for now but if they ever bring back proper hunting i would not take much persuading

yeeharider

Visit site
there are so many stupid questions asked on this site I wonder if the people are really horse people, if they have any common sense or if they are just asking to prevoke a reaction

Ravenwood

Visit site
Gooseman, we must remember that all hunts must welcome any subscribers and followers to remain financially stable. And lets not forget that those youngsters and newcomers will hopefully get involved enough to become tomorrows hunt stalwarts, committe members, etc. Everyone has to start somewhere and enthusiam must be nutured.

M_G

Visit site
the whole point of going foxhunting was TO KILL foxes , full stop , end of story, not to have a jolly day on a horse or natter to friends . some of us are only interested in three things out hunting
1. HOUNDS
2. TERRIERS
3. FOXES

But without the paying subscribers on or indeed off horseback(ridden pay an awful lot more) you cant afford to run a hunt so perhaps its about time everyone who hunts showed a little respect for each other...

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
1. HOUNDS
2. TERRIERS
3. FOXES

But without the paying subscribers on or indeed off horseback(ridden pay an awful lot more) you cant afford to run a hunt so perhaps its about time everyone who hunts showed a little respect for each other...

Couldnt agree more MG and Ravenswood-For 20 years I have followed hounds, love watching them work and have a horse! I pay full subscription (£1850 !!) am treasurer for the supporters club, help at every fund raising event and car park at Point-to-points etc and dont even have my buttons- I help run a hound sponsorship scheme that raises money that is ring fenced for hound welfare. I love jumping but thats not my reason to hunt- if i want to jump jump jump then thats drag hunting not real hunting. I love the unpredictability of fox hunting and am happiest following the hounds at full cry over any obstacle that gets in the way. so SL us horse riders are not all gossipers intent on getting p*ssed in our pink lipstick and pearl earrings and going home after an hour ;-)

M_G

Visit site
I have a horse but choose to hunt on foot, Yes I too see the disrespect from some of the mounted field however in our hunt we are trying to stop this and all pull together for the good of the hunt and to repeal this foolish un-enforceable ban.

We all want to be hunting foxes and not smelly socks, I think we sometimes forget the enemy is not those who hunt/want to hunt but this goverment/LACS/PETA etc.

lats raise a glass to all the hunts and hunters out there and hope we can be hunting proper again soon xx

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
Yes there are people like that within hunting circles, who don't realise that often foot followers will be working behind the scenes to keep things going - whether it is something simple like mending a hunt jump or stewarding at a hunt event to something more major like stepping in for an injured kennelman on the knacker round. However like the Darkly Dreaming Dex said there are plenty from the mounted field who work damn hard without thanks too.

Speaking from experience it is hard to ignore the snotty comments from people on 4 legs - the temptation to punch the person who yelled 'bloody bike' at me out autumn hunting was almost too great to resist, but you just have to remember those who benefit from your hardwork and the fund raising are the most important things and a hound hug after hunting will always remind you of how much you are appreciated!!

Each side should try to remember why we are working to keep things going and think about appreciating the other side more! :grin:

cmarychapman

Visit site
I am a newbie who knows nothing and has obviously been having far too much fun out hunting, because guess what, I enjoyed myself and I want to go again!! :grin: Luckily my local hunt members have been nothing but welcoming and supportive.

Maybe newbies do ask daft questions on this forum, but maybe we are curious, want to get things right and make a good impression. Better to post on here than besiege busy hunt staff with endless questions. :confused: After all if you dont like a question it is not compulsary to respond is it?

I'd love to be bold enough to jump whatever came in front of me but I'm not! However just one day hunting made a huge difference for my confidence and I jumped far more than I expected. In part this was due to the people with me giving me advice and telling me "to go for it". It does make a difference!

seche

Visit site

Im out come hell or high water when ever I can be - whether on horse or foot. (thought of me on a bike is comical but Combat Claire - hats off!!!)

I am very "horsey" but there is no no no shame in that - after all they were about before quad bikes were invented, My great aunt was a master of Beagles (Blean) and hunted side saddle from age of 10 till the day she died aged over 80! My great grandfather had a "terrier bag" which was attached to the D rings on his saddle.- Said terrier(s) loved it, and went over all vale and dale with him!!! (I kidd you not, ive heard the stories, and read his hunting diaries!)

In this day and age I dont think hunting can be too proud as to who knows "what" and "who"... Those days - sadly - are past. I am thrilled to see new folk out with us - we all had to learn some how, did we not ? Not all of us managed to be blooded by the time we were 6 yrs old!!

Yours T_R - (Great Grand Daughter, Grand Daughter to MFHs)

yeeharider

Visit site
good for you keep going it will all help your confidence glad your hunt are welcoming and supportive my comment about stupid questions was not aimed at anyone in particular especially newbies/kids afterall if you dont ask you dont get to know just think when you know someone has had horses a while then they come out with a crazy question when I think they should know better

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Well if hunting folk are anything like the ones I met Sat night at the hunt ball you can keep them. I noticed a bag & camera had been left on a table in the lobby. It was still there when we were waiting to go home so I picked it up & went to look for someone to caretake it. Well first of all the 2 gentlemen just told me to leave it where it was, then when they saw there was money in it suggested I take it over to a woman (no idea where she fitted in). This woman completely blanked me, never looked at me, never acknowledged me & I was the one holding the bag. After she had finished thanking John she asked where it was found well by then I had walked away. I know they are not all as rude as that, but there are too many that are. I have met a few out on the roads, to above themselves to acknowledge the fact you have slowed down for them. So before you start making comments about people & their lack of knowledge perhaps some of you need to come off your high horse & stop looking down your noses.

winterhorse

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear this magic but if your hunt ball was anything like ours, over half the people there, have never been and will never come hunting but just enjoy the social event. Please don't assume these were hunting folk, i may be wrong of course, but i do know a few girls who are very anti hunting but would never miss the hunt ball. ( Go figure???)

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
Exactly, you keep asking Hobbitpony.

Having twigged that a, not everyone is brought up in a hunting family; b, that getting shouted at on your first day out is not a good intro to hunting and c, that even the regulars needed a refresher of how things should be done our pack organised a series of seminars at weekends and evenings over the summer, with attendance expected by all those who hunt or who have children who do. Whether you have 2 feet, 2 wheels or 4 legs under you!

In a nice and friendly way the basics of hunting and running a hunt country were explained and there was ample opportunity to ask questions either during or quietly afterwards.

They were so successful they ran one evening just for the under 18s.

Perhaps more hunts should be considering running these before they complain that nobody knows what they are doing ;)