This was suggested to me today......is this good idea or not??

lilly1

Visit site
Missed the bit about her longreining. Would agree more of this (without someone at her head) will really help. Its not something I'm that brilliant at but do find is useful for sending the horse forwards, introducing basic movements and increasing overall confidence. .

lilly1

Visit site
Actually I did have a pony once that was a little horror to lunge. I’ve introduced lots of horses to lunging and consider myself pretty good but no way was she having any of it. I gave up in the end and did it her way. What she did like to do is walk and walk we did (I’ve never been fitter or slimmer as I was that summer). With foot soldier in tow i 'backed' her out hacking and just used to pop on her close to home and meander back. Horrifying I know and please anyone reading this do not try it at home! However is worked for her and she is and has always been great to ride (still refuses to lunge though!) :)

Last edited:

galaxy

Visit site
OP, I'm very local to you, and had a mare that was almost identical last year.

I've said it before you need to get her long reining out by herself confidently. If you need a good rider to get on her and help you, I can give you the number of the person who did mine.

I agree this has been going on a while now. I'd be worried you are creating a learned behaviour.

Brownmare

Visit site
I backed a mare exactly like you describe and I did end up using treats with her to a certain extent - but mainly just when standing still i.e. during first mounting etc but the most effective thing for her in the end was to break down the process into baby steps and take everything really slowly, never moving to the next step before she was totally happy with the previous one. i would also agree with others who have suggested long reining, if she is relying on the person at her head this will be the single most effective cure

foxy1

Visit site
Haven't read all replies but I would try using a lead horse ie. ride a steady horse next to the unbroken one with no rider on; sounds to me as if the horse doesn't like the sight of the rider above it's head.

Brambridge04

Visit site
I am going to try the lead horse this weekend, a bomb proof horse of roughly same height and build has moved to yard and is turned out with her, owner has said my friend can ride and get mine to follow or me ride and lead mine, but we can use her, so will try this next, i also have a trainer who comes to yard regularly (seeing someone elses horse, but always ready with advice) who said she is just trying her luck, today she started lunging with a rider, at a nice sensible walk, the suddenly shot off and started leaping about like a prat, til rider came off and then she just trotted a few paces away and stood there.....

sugarlump121

Visit site
Have read all replies with interest and have to agree with poster who said its too much too soon, if Im right in thinking you got her late October, that gives Nov/Dec and a week and a bit in January, it sounds like she is or was quite nervy and shy...

I'd turn her away for at least a month. By that I dont mean leave her unhandled (still groom etc) but take the pressure of her and off yourself, let her chill! If she'd not done much before you had her and she's a naturally shy horse shes done an awful lot in the 10 weeks or so that you've had her. Yes she's 5 but it doesn't sound like she's had the experiences of your 'average' 5 year old.

When getting her going again I'd use an experienced person to take the lead in making decisions about what she does and how much, sometimes its difficult for us as owners as all we want is the best for our horses, but our own view can sometimes get clouded with emotions.

:)

appledoberman

Visit site
How do you break in? :)

Get them used to wearing tack then lead them out with an arm over their back, walking at their side as apposed to at their head with a rein in each hand, teaching them to walk on with a bump from my hip on their side. Making sure to do the same amount on both sides. Teaching them to walk and trot on from a bump with the hip. I know its not the traditional way but works fine for a happy hacker which is all I want.....never gone wrong so far anyway.

Brambridge04

Visit site
Not an oddball at all.

There have been some really good suggestions, so thank you, today she did nothing, just had a lovely, arm aching, took forever groom, a nice feed and was so relaxed one tap on the side and she'd have fallen over lol!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
so will try this next, i also have a trainer who comes to yard regularly (seeing someone elses horse, but always ready with advice) who said she is just trying her luck, today she started lunging with a rider, at a nice sensible walk, the suddenly shot off and started leaping about like a prat, til rider came off and then she just trotted a few paces away and stood there.....

You're jumping from one approach to another with no real consistency - you have a seriously confused horse. She isn't 'trying her luck' - she doesn't have a CLUE what you want!

If you're going to send her out on the lunge with a rider, you DON'T do it in walk!! The idea of using lunging in this way is that the horse can (and should!!) run. Remember, the horse is a 'flight or fight' animal!

Sending a bucker out on the lunge works IF - and ONLY if - you send it off in a FAST trot and DON'T let it slow down!! Keep it 'running' - (flight - not fight) so it can realise that the 'predator on back' is actually not hurting it! Once it's done 20 - 30 circuits in a fast trot, ASK it to slow down but be ready to drive it on again very sharpish if it starts to prat about!

But I honestly don't know why any of us are bothering to offer more advice. This mare is well on her way to being screwed. You are grabbing at an idea here - and a suggestion there - and it's NOT working. You are out of your depth and you are going to end up either seriously hurt - or with a useless horse!

littleme

Visit site
You're jumping from one approach to another with no real consistency - you have a seriously confused horse. She isn't 'trying her luck' - she doesn't have a CLUE what you want!

If you're going to send her out on the lunge with a rider, you DON'T do it in walk!! The idea of using lunging in this way is that the horse can (and should!!) run. Remember, the horse is a 'flight or fight' animal!

Sending a bucker out on the lunge works IF - and ONLY if - you send it off in a FAST trot and DON'T let it slow down!! Keep it 'running' - (flight - not fight) so it can realise that the 'predator on back' is actually not hurting it! Once it's done 20 - 30 circuits in a fast trot, ASK it to slow down but be ready to drive it on again very sharpish if it starts to prat about!

But I honestly don't know why any of us are bothering to offer more advice. This mare is well on her way to being screwed. You are grabbing at an idea here - and a suggestion there - and it's NOT working. You are out of your depth and you are going to end up either seriously hurt - or with a useless horse!

totally agree with this!

also appledoberman I think a lot of people don't bother with long reining, a lot just get on and get on with it!

Witchy

Visit site
Haven't read all replies but I would try using a lead horse ie. ride a steady horse next to the unbroken one with no rider on; sounds to me as if the horse doesn't like the sight of the rider above it's head.

....or is totally thick, going into a panic because it doesn't know where they have gone! Aaagghhh I can hear voices! :)

Irishlife

Visit site
We do not use long reining as a rule but lunging is an art form and people breaking in horses need to be taught properly by an expert on how to lunge correctly. A person lungeing badly is the same as a person riding badly. To lunge well is to be able to use the aids the same way as you would ride a horse. How many people just grab the rein instead of holding it like a rein when you ride, how many half halt and transmit down to the cavesson what they want the horse to do. This is a bug bear of mine. Lunging is NOT about the horse running in circles but communicating in a way by body position, driving aids, position of the whip and signals down the lunge line to the horse.

We never lunge from the bit - ever and have never needed to. Any fresh or pillocking about horse gets driven forward forward forward at a fast pace to get the nonsense out of the system. The person on board the horse at lunge, needs some stickability not because a horse will necessarily play up but because they are unbalanced and their changes of pace can be inconsistent.

When is someone going to LISTEN to this horse of OP's and pick up the cues and do the right thing by it. Lunge Look LISTEN and please get help .

Kaylum

Visit site
ok well I wouldnt use treats, would get the long reining sorted out so you get a good mouth and steering and confidence sorted as the others have said. Secondly dont get another horse involved if she has confidence issues. You need the horse to work independantly. What I suggest is you get some professional help to show you how manage her but dont send her away if you can help it. Get help to show you and your horse how to work together and get that trust bond going.

sprite1978

Visit site
It doesnt really bother me which advice you take. Lunge or long reign, but the problem is based around going forward. The horse hasnt been taught to go forward from the start. Go back to the start and teach the horse to go forward without the comfort of being led. She needs to do it herself. We have a very long narrow drive fenced on both sides, if a horse does this, we have someone with a lunge whip at both ends of the driveway and the horse is made to go forward - with a good rider on board!