This weather!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Honestly, it's evil.

Far too icy to drive to the yard to give supper after afternoon sleep, so walked down very gingerly with the aid of a stick. Whole yard iced up.

Chucked an extra rug on, so he's in a net 650g, and asked him if he wanted to go out. Seemed keen, so led across telling him to go very steady. Utter star, he could have trodden on an egg and not broken it.

It's utterly foul out there, even the grass has frozen now.

Trusting to his bogtrotter commonsense but do hope he'll be OK. Visions of slipping :(

How's it with everyone else?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
fed them this morning and gave them 1/2 slice of hay each. everything was frozen sold but it was nice to have clean, fluffy ponies! they'll be fine, they are built for this weather-coats like yaks.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
We haven't got the worst of it here in the south but it nearly froze my legs off this morning when I moved the electric fence.

Blowing a gale and sleeting... My favourite!

J&S

Visit site
Not that cold but horribly wet. Water cascading down the field from the road. Ponies don't seem to mind as long as they can get their heads down but were waiting to come in this evening. Would love a few nice dry, bright days for recovery.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It's horrible here! Temps are below freezing and *everything* is frozen now, even the hook to hold the door back is frozen to the wall, so can't be used. Everything growing is covered in ice, the sheep have found a sheltered spot between a wall and some trees, the horses have been tucked up all afternoon and the dogs are refusing to set foot outside.

spugs

Visit site
Sleety freezing snow/rainhere which is lying so it’ll be frozen solid in the morning. Mine live out, rugged up and plenty of hay so they’ll be happy.

Jo1987

Visit site
Wet cold and windy here - I spent most of the morning putting up insulation in new stable’s roof to make the rain noise quieter (tin roof!)
Pleased to say it’s worked and he was very happy to come in and tuck into some hay - he was twirling round in there and making a terrible mess when it rained previously as he couldn’t cope with the noise so I’m pleased he approves!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Ice is crazy, I had to carry the chickens one by one out of the hay barn and back into their run because they couldn't walk across the yard - at 4pm !! It was raining and turing to ice as it landed - grim

Wheels

Visit site
I think we got off quite lightly by the sounds of things. We got lots of wind and heavy rain all day but no snow or ice.

Hope everyone is safe

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Had lots of wind and rain, think the worst has blown across now though. Still windy, just not enough to be rattling the house! Good old winter! Still, if it means we get another cracking summer next year, I'm happy!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The ice is horrendous, I should have gone out for the works do, but the disco was slipping coming up the lane when we got back from a shop and fuel run earlier on, so decided on the grounds of safety to not go. We have just been out to the horses and the only way to cross the yard was by hanging onto the cars! Even the mud up by the muck heap is slippy now and getting to the sheep was treacherous, and that was after I had unfrozen the gate lock by hitting it to get the ice of it! Everything is coated with ice but at least the wind has settled a bit.

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine live out. I don't have stables or they'd definitely have been in them today! I just try to remind myself that the bottom of their field is incredibly sheltered, to the extent that it seems to exist in a different climate to the rest of the field. If they've any sense they'll be down there, and if they're not, well, that will be their choice!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Still lashing down here, the stream in the garden is now white water rapids and is at the top of the banks- never seen it that high before.

And we have had no daylight for about a week- seriously! It’s like Armageddon.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Torrential rain here in Ireland & high winds today - we missed the worst of the gale this time thankfully - now dry & very cold - I'm sitting by the fire with a nice glass of red atm so can't complain 😊