This years 4yo's. What are you doing with them?

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
As people are doing updates. L is going really well. We moved yards and the bigger school and competition atmosphere have really pushed us. Lots of hacking too. She is still a bit nervy about other horses so competition plans are on the back burner. I think she would have a heart attack in a warm up ring. My OH came and took pics today fortunately he missed me landing on my bottom after a massive spook. That was my first fall from her and a pretty dumb one at that.
She has really grow and is starting to fill out, but is still quite immature so no rush. She finds it all so easy (when she isn't seeing monsters) I don't want to push her.

lola-04_zpsfj35udsj.jpg

Her canter is naturally really uphill

lola-02_zpsgc1aolbu.jpg

lola-06_zpsr9zeskxl.jpg

I am rather taken with her I must admit.

Courts

Visit site
My homebred KWPN stallion (turns 4 in October this year) was broken in during September/October 2014 , is currently in training under the supervision of my SJ trainer and is doing exceptionally well. He is turned out during the day and stabled at night, is hacking alone and is ridden or lunged 3 - 4 days/week. His flatwork is progressing rapidly, with a well balanced walk, trot and canter and he has started jumping in the past month, proving to be everything I have wanted. I have also started taking him with to shows some weekends with the other horses for free jumping practice or just for travelling/atmosphere experience. Although he can still be very cheeky (as can be expected with 3- 4 yr old colts), he genuinely continues to suprise me with his progress. Feel so lucky to have him !

attachment.php

Last edited:

LeannePip

Visit site
I can now join in! Yay!

All your baby horses are gorgeous, its amazing how quickly they change at this age, from baby to (almost) proper horse!

We bought our new 4yo last month after deciding to give my supercob some time off and an easy life.

Shes a 4yo Hann x ISH - Out of an ARD mare by Heritage Fortunus, she was lightly backed from the person I bought her off and shes coming on really nicely, is so settled and just a complete poppet to have around.

Shes bred to show jump but i hope to event her. We are taking things really slowly with her because shes just far too nice to rush!

Shes been home about 5 weeks and has had the full MOT and wolf teeth out so we've been cracking on for the last couple of weeks and there is just such an improvement every time i get on her. I'm only riding her about 3/4 times a week at the moment, mainly in the open field but she also went on her first hack with our other two horses and although she wasn't sure about going through a gap in the hedge and we had a little rear, she did go through in front after a bit of persuasion, shes very bold and was much happier leading the way, and wasn't fazed when my sister met us on her horse coming the other way, so all positive steps!

The first video is from a few weeks ago just starting to trot off the lead, minimal steering though! She was a bit fussy in her head, but this was pre wolf teeth out, i've also since changed her bit from full cheek french link, to a D-ring copper roller and she is so much happier in.

This is from last night at a school hired down the road, we went last week for our first canter which was a bit all over the place and a bit hair raising, I then hacked her Monday and we went to the school again last night, and the canter was so much better, even responding to my aids rather than running into it from mum's backup on the floor with the lunge whip.

I feel so lucky to have her, she is just such a star!

ilikehorses17

New User
Visit site
I have been lightly riding my 4 year old. She has somewhere between 30 and 40 rides on her now. Done tons of natural horsemanship groundwork and desensitizing before I started her. We had 6 feet of snow all winter where I live but that didn't stop me from doing desensitizing work with her every single day.

All that hard work has paid off!! She went from a spooky insecure baby to a happy, confident riding horse from february-July. The last time i rode her, my husband took photos. I was looking through the camera at them for 2 minutes and she fell sound asleep while I was on her back.

Right now we are working mostly on walk trot and halt, when our grass is dry we work on light canter work. She is also just beginning her lateral work and seems to do well with that. She is the easiest, sweetest most beautiful horse i've ever owned. Love her to bits. Her name is Isadora.

10483141_10102902160214552_7059094078819844014_n_zpsntdvkmco.jpg

11702661_10102902072250832_8564131645981002980_n_zpshjztvnbg.jpg

11709947_10102901566589182_192652513249756077_o_zpsprlfozzx.jpg

10438527_10102901630785532_460207335084525249_n_zpstwogkhju.jpg

NZJenny

Visit site
I'm on southern hemisphere time and my girl turns four in November. She was started under saddle at Christmas (our summer) and I have been quietly pottering her ever since. We are now in the middle of winter, so she is just getting ridden at the weekends. The mission over winter has been to get her to as many new places as possible, and get her hacking out. I'm on my own so that is always a bit of a challenge with a young horse.

Looking forward to spring and summer (shortest day gone, so on the down hill), and the plan is to get her out competitive trail riding (10 km to start and we might try a 20km at the end of the season), some dressage days, and some cowboy challenge and working equitation training days.