Thise who feed yearlings please help

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I have posted about this in the breeding and stable but thought id try here also. I have been advised to feed Inky ( a yearling )more protein to aid getting rid of his pot belly. ( believe he may be lacking in protein ) I have telephoned a feed manufacturer today who advise to feed him a stud balancer. However this is 32% protein and it causes me concern!!! The lady said i shouldnt be concerned about the high levels as its only fed in really small quantities ( 0.5lb a day for Inky ) but i am worried that the high content will cause him to have growth deformaties!!???
crazy.gif

Is this ok to feed so much protein???
I also worry it will cause Inky to grow too much and he'll become overheight ( max 34" for showing minis ) but if he needs to grow he needs to grow!!

Please help believe it or not i am loosing sleep over his nutrition
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
I feed Buckeye Grow n Win and it is 32% protein also. It would depend on how much of everything else the youngster is on though and how good your grass and hay is. Are you going to feed it alone?

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I think this feed has been brought out over here after Buckeye was so successful. The grass is limited but not bad quality, enough for a mini anyway and when i supplement with hay i have been soaking it to reduce the callorie content. He will be fed this balancer with low callorie chop and a small amount of unmolassed beet to dampen it.

ChowChow

Visit site
I feed my yearling stud cubes, Dodson and Horrell Suregrow and Blue Chip plus Hi-fi Lite not sure what the protein content is with all that but he's a lot bigger than 34".

He lost a bit of condition at the start of the season so I had to up his feed and he's starting to look really well now.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Hi there

You need some sleep! I am sure the pot belly part is really more to do with their age as mine had them earlier this year, Storm especially.

Ours get literally a few handfuls of pony nuts with bit of oil and pink powder to make sure they use what they are getting properly in their tums.

The molasses can belly them out a bit, JC cant even tolerate beet at all it gives him a bad tum...so ruled that out!

I would go on http://emha.informe.com/index.php they are all mini owners across the globe and very experienced with the little ones. Let me know how you get on!!

A
crazy.gif