Thoe of you who have had portraits commissioned of your horse(s)

Blythwind

Visit site
My Nan died recently, and I would like to have an oil painting done of my two horses together with the money i was left. It will be something I can treasure for ever.

For those of you who have had paintings commissioned of your horse/horses, who did you use? Are you pleased with it? Would you recommend them?

I want their whole bodies painting, and not just their heads, which it seems most of the artists I have looked at seem to focus on. I also cant decide how they should be standing/moving. I was hoping for face to face so you can see their full length, but would that look odd?

Thanks for any help
x

Jojoeena

Visit site
Hi - Sorry to hear about your Nan ! I had my old boy done, it was an A5 portrait in colour (its like a water wash rather than a proper paint) with a smaller line portrait of him grazing in the lower right. I love it, it has captured him really well and is the best of both worlds, was about £300 about 10 years ago ... good luck !

Enfys

Visit site
Sorry to read about your Nan.

PM Papa Frita on here, she does some super work.:)

sig.jpg

There are many talented artists on HHO, there is a whole thread in Picture Gallery where you can see the work of some of them.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=427406

These are also favourites of mine, each has a style of their own:
http://mark-langley.com/
http://laurabarber-riley.com/

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I would love to have one of one horse grooming another, but I think you need "Stubbs" to do this, I was talking to a guy who does pastel pencils, horses heads, [which are a lot easier than full body], for £320 GBP each, I think you will be better getting some of the Newmarket [racehorse ] artists to do an "impression" than a detailed one of two horses, unless you already have a photo you can have copied.

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
I've just had mine done by Stephanie Greaves (www.stephaniegreaves.com).

I wanted my horse and german shepherd in the same picture & am thrilled with the result.

She has got their expressions & movements perfectly. Cannot recommend her highly enough. Before anyone asks I'm not related to her and only know her through this commission so I have no personal interest in promoting her other than because I think she is just brilliant.

Blythwind

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I am glad that you are pleased with the paintings you have had.

My boy is a blanket spot appaloosa, which is why I really want his whole body and not just his face, because I think he is beautiful. I would be happy to have just the head of my girly, but because I want them both together I guess it needs to be full bodies for both.

I was hoping to spend about £700, but would be happy to put more towards that if I need to, to get the best painting.

I will pm her and have a look at that link - thanks
x

joeanne

Visit site
Papa Frita did one for me.....I liked it so much I had her do my friend one as a present.
Highly recommend, her work is stunning.
You can Pm her on here or look at her profile where I think her website address is!

Kat

Visit site
My husband is one of the artists mentioned by Enfys. I haven't had a portrait done of my horse, he's too busy - the cobblers children are always barefoot and all that!

He doesn't do oils, he uses colour pencil and gets loads of detail because you can make very small marks on the paper with a pencil, much more so than you can with a brush. I know I am biased but he gets a huge amount of detail and an amazing likeness. It isn't just me saying that, when he takes the pictures out to shows people often recognise the horses in them. Have a look at his work.

His website shows mainly horse heads, that is purely because this is what people most often ask for. He would love to do more full body portraits or action pictures so would certainly accept that sort of commission.

In the meantime, get snapping, some artists prefer to take their own photos but if you can get lots of good ones in the meantime it will help them when the time comes. It will also help you to decide what poses look good and what sort of thing you want from the picture.

Good luck!

appylass

Visit site
Another vote for Papa Frita on here. She did a portrait of my old appy from a picture (my avatar) it is exceptionally good and has captured him totally. I love it completely, there is nothing at all I would change, it is perfect. She has done two others for friends and they are equally brilliant. In addition, she is lovely to deal with and really listens and understands what you want.

Kat

Visit site
I would love to have one of one horse grooming another, but I think you need "Stubbs" to do this, I was talking to a guy who does pastel pencils, horses heads, [which are a lot easier than full body], for £320 GBP each, I think you will be better getting some of the Newmarket [racehorse ] artists to do an "impression" than a detailed one of two horses, unless you already have a photo you can have copied.

MrsD123 there are some very talented artists out there today, equine art didn't die with stubbs. Those associated with the racing scene are not the only ones up to doing a full body portrait, in fact often they aren't the best at getting a likeness, but are more focussed on conveying atmostphere or mood. Have a look at some of the artists mentioned. Also have a google of Bridget Ann Smart or Mary Herbert both of whom are good equestrian artists more than capable of doing full body portraits. Bridget has done portraits of Primmores Pride, and a couple of Mary King's horses but I don't think the OP's budget would stretch to her prices.

rhino

Visit site
PapaFrita did a fantastic portrait of mine (pencil although she does some wonderful oils as well); you can tell instantly it's my horse, she captured him so well :)

minesadouble

Visit site
Pippa Porley is hugely talented and gets such a true likeness. I commissioned a painting of one of my mum's stallions and it was fabulous. I asked for watercolour but she felt it was better suited to oils so gave me an oil painting at no extra cost!! She really gets a true likeness - can't praise her enough :)

Jeremypainting.jpg

Thistle

Visit site
I have a number of portraits all done by Pilar Larcade (she is PapaFrita on here). I have pics of horses dogs and cats done in pencil and acrylic. I am lucky enough to see quite alot of her work 'in the flesh' in all mediums as she is my next door neighbour!!! Your budget should cover a commission by her.

Have a look at her facebook page, Pilar Larcade Artist for more details.

LauraBR on here is another very good artist, I have also seen her work as an original rather than via a screen.

LauraBR

Visit site
Thanks very much for the mentions Enfys and Thistle :)

There are so many talented equine artists out there, you really are spoilt for choice. So many different styles, mediums (and prices)!

You just need to find one who is right for YOU! What you are looking for is a really interesting commission so I am sure most artists would bite your hand off- many will also do photography to capture the horses as you want them for the painting and have plenty of composition ideas too.

Sorry to hear about your Nan, I am obviously a bit biased but I LOVE all kinds of equestrian art and think it is a lovely way to have something precious to remember both your Nan and capture your horses forever too.

Good luck! :)

Chavhorse

Visit site
Papa Frita did a stunning drawing of my Appaloosa delighted with it she even captured his scars and my trainers concentration fag:) got them both to a total t

vardijan.jpg

indiat

Visit site
I can recommed Tony O' Connor. He is based in Ireland but he exports to the Uk anbd works from pics. He does HUGE statement pieces in oils and he does capture interesting angles. The way he uses light is very impressive as well. He works out of White Tree Studios, look him up on facebook because his more recent stuff is loaded on there. He's done three paintings for me and as soon as I can afford it, I am going back for a fourth!

dibbin

Visit site
There are loads of fab artists on here - have a flick through the Equine Arts thread (think it's stickied in Picture Gallery?), find someone whose style you like and send them a PM!

I've got an A3 colour pencil drawing of my boy, my parents commissioned it last October as a Christmas present - timing was a bit odd as he ended up being PTS in mid-December :( it was a woman at our yard who did mine.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com

Sorry, but heads are no easier or harder than full bodies and it shouldn't make any difference to the price.

Enfys

Visit site
There are only 2 people that i would use to do any of my animals.

One is Maria Heskins (http://www.mariaheskinseditions.moonfruit.com/)

or Robbie Graham (http://www.robbiegrahamart.com/ )

I think that is the joy of so much choice, we all have our own personal favourite, or a vision of what we would like, and I find it really refreshing that so many people want a painting/drawing etc rather than a blown up, photo shopped photograph. I would find it very difficult to say "I would only use this or that artist"

I looked at both those and the quality is excellent, not personally what I could live with on my wall, but that is just what I am saying, what one person loves another doesn't.

I wouldn't use the first artist as I am afraid I found her incredibly arrogant and up herself, she could be the best artist ever and have daubed pictures for all the Crowned Heads of Europe for all I care, but she would have lost my business in her introductory paragraphs :(