Thoe of you who have had portraits commissioned of your horse(s)

Tr0uble

Visit site
I had my boy done by Mary Herbert as a 30th birthday present from my parents

I have permission to post this....so no button pushers please!

16d08e7f.png

Dizzydusty

Visit site
Take your time and look at lots of different artist. Some just seem to 'get it' where others are good but just haven't quite nailed it. If your looking to spend that kind of money then you should have a choice.

As an artist myself (all be it I only paint now and again) I find it incredible what some people charge for their paintings...and this isn't having a go at anyone recommended on here, I haven't looked at any of the links...but then I don't paint in oils, its not my sole income, so I suppose I have the luxury of charging what I want.

I don't get many requests for whole horses, the head is the favourite and that includes dogs and cats too.

photo.php

This is one of mine (and taking some commissions on for xmas if anyones intersted :D).

Anyway, hope you find the right artist and that they do an excellent job for you....my gran left me money when she passed away 10 years ago, I used it to buy my horse, who I still have, couldn't have spent the money any wiser!

Dizzy

devilwoman

Visit site
My husband is one of the artists mentioned by Enfys. I haven't had a portrait done of my horse, he's too busy - the cobblers children are always barefoot and all that!

He doesn't do oils, he uses colour pencil and gets loads of detail because you can make very small marks on the paper with a pencil, much more so than you can with a brush. I know I am biased but he gets a huge amount of detail and an amazing likeness. It isn't just me saying that, when he takes the pictures out to shows people often recognise the horses in them. Have a look at his work.

His website shows mainly horse heads, that is purely because this is what people most often ask for. He would love to do more full body portraits or action pictures so would certainly accept that sort of commission.

In the meantime, get snapping, some artists prefer to take their own photos but if you can get lots of good ones in the meantime it will help them when the time comes. It will also help you to decide what poses look good and what sort of thing you want from the picture.

Good luck!

I have just had a look through your husband's website, they are superb and i've also just e-mailed him re a piccie of my coloured girl :D

Dizzydusty

Visit site
Take your time and look at lots of different artist. Some just seem to 'get it' where others are good but just haven't quite nailed it. If your looking to spend that kind of money then you should have a choice.

As an artist myself (all be it I only paint now and again) I find it incredible what some people charge for their paintings...and this isn't having a go at anyone recommended on here, I haven't looked at any of the links...but then I don't paint in oils, its not my sole income, so I suppose I have the luxury of charging what I want.

I don't get many requests for whole horses, the head is the favourite and that includes dogs and cats too.

KarensPaintings067.jpg

This is one of mine (and taking some commissions on for xmas if anyones intersted :D).

Anyway, hope you find the right artist and that they do an excellent job for you....my gran left me money when she passed away 10 years ago, I used it to buy my horse, who I still have, couldn't have spent the money any wiser!

Dizzy

Sorry, did this again as my link didn't work! Ive just learned how to post photos on this!!:D

Last edited:

LauraBR

Visit site
DH1 that is beautiful!

I suppose it is the same as with horses- a painting is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. It is very subjective.

Some paintings (especially very realistic ones) can take weeks to paint so time spent has an influence on cost. It is also, sadly, very difficult to make a living being an artist. To be commissioned regularly and to build a reputation that can generate business artists have to invest an enormous amount of money in their business- materials, framing, exhibition costs, trade stands, gallery commisson on sales, prints, advertising costs, websites, diesel. I expect you would consider me expensive, but despite healthy sales I just about break even each year.

So long as you and your customers are happy then that is all that matters as far as price goes. As I said earlier in the thread, there is SO much fantastic equestrian art out there and a huge range of styles and costs- something for everyone :)

Tnavas

Visit site
I have a beautiful pencil drawing of Serenity - drawn from the picture from my avatar. It is absolutely stunning. The artist is in New Zealand I can give you her email through pm if you are interested.

She charges very little. She also does colour pics too.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
My mum bought me a drawing of my lad for my 21st :D I used Joanne Kilner who is a local artist but she did come to see him to get more of an idea of his character which was lovely of her. http://www.jk-petportraits.co.uk/page5.htm The work in progress is my portrait :)

I am planning on having one of my dog done and will be happy to use her again unless I use PF from on here who I always had planned on using if I were to have a portrait drawn up.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
I have wanted to have a portrait of my mare done for years now. There are many artists out there charging a small amount of money if you want omething that vaguely resembles your horse, but if you're prepared to pay a little more then you can have something to hang on your wall for years to come that ill never grow tired or fail to please you. I knew my time was limited with my mare and comissioned Jenny Lupton to do her portrait and the likeness is astounding. She has not only captured her image perfectly but also her personality screams at me from behind the glass. She would get my vote and day of the week. It means even more to me now as she crossed rainbow bridge 2 months ago! Meet Cracklin' Rosie

Rosie.jpg

wilde2

Visit site
I had a picture done by Bridgette Smart after seeing her work at Burghley. PM me if you are interested I can e mail photo of picture, I have no idea how to upload it - sorry!

piggyinablanket

stephaniegreaves.com
I've just had mine done by Stephanie Greaves (www.stephaniegreaves.com).

I wanted my horse and german shepherd in the same picture & am thrilled with the result.

She has got their expressions & movements perfectly. Cannot recommend her highly enough. Before anyone asks I'm not related to her and only know her through this commission so I have no personal interest in promoting her other than because I think she is just brilliant.

Ahhh bless you! thanks for the recommendation (I am she, by the way, ;) ) Coco and Bentley were an absolute pleasure to do for you. :)

There are lots and lots of fabulous artists out there, the best I know have been mentioned here already. I will stress though that you do get what you pay for, it may seem expensive but if you work out how many hours it takes to complete a portrait we usually work for less than minimum wage, (I know I do)!!
Study the web galleries and get a feel for the artists individual style. And get customer recommendations too! ^_^

Good luck!! xx

MDJO

Visit site
I had a portrait done by Avril Jones at www.petportraits.me.uk - I can't upload pictures, but could email if you wanted. She has a lot of examples on her website alongside the actual photos used. Good Value too (between £90 - £130 depending on the size)

Victoria25

Visit site
My friend actually drew my horse for me and framed it for my 30th present - was absolutely thrilled with it ... she's amazing - she doesnt do it professionally but let me know if you want her details (north west based).

154796_10150310907795464_763485463_15424516_1279257_n.jpg

Taken from:

40399_10150224410415464_763485463_13657810_3262152_n.jpg

Kat

Visit site
There are so many talented equine artists out there, you really are spoilt for choice. So many different styles, mediums (and prices)!

You just need to find one who is right for YOU! What you are looking for is a really interesting commission so I am sure most artists would bite your hand off- many will also do photography to capture the horses as you want them for the painting and have plenty of composition ideas too.

Agree with this 100% so much is about your own personal taste, whether you want something big and bright and bold, or subdued and traditional, or whether you want a likeness or an impression etc.

Sorry, but heads are no easier or harder than full bodies and it shouldn't make any difference to the price.

I quite agree Pilar, have never understood why so many artists charge more for a full body than a head if the canvas is the same size, makes no sense to me.

I don't think full bodies are necessarily harder for a decent artist, although many out there seem incapable of getting legs the same length and getting feet to stand on the floor properly...... Mark would love to do more full body pictures but everyone wants head portraits!

Mark charges the same for full bodies as heads.

Dizzy

I am more surprised by how little some artists charge, really think about the number of hours work that goes into them, add on the cost of materials, then account for things like buying and maintaining a suitable camera for obtaining source materials, maintaining a website, studio, advertising and insurance and you will soon see that many artists are earning less than minimum wage on the prices they charge. Indeed I believe many are operating at a loss.

I have just had a look through your husband's website, they are superb and i've also just e-mailed him re a piccie of my coloured girl :D

Thanks, I know he got the email but he is out most of today so probably won't be able to reply until later. He has a soft spot for coloureds so I'm sure he will like to see your girl.

I suppose it is the same as with horses- a painting is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. It is very subjective.

Some paintings (especially very realistic ones) can take weeks to paint so time spent has an influence on cost. It is also, sadly, very difficult to make a living being an artist. To be commissioned regularly and to build a reputation that can generate business artists have to invest an enormous amount of money in their business- materials, framing, exhibition costs, trade stands, gallery commisson on sales, prints, advertising costs, websites, diesel. I expect you would consider me expensive, but despite healthy sales I just about break even each year.

So long as you and your customers are happy then that is all that matters as far as price goes. As I said earlier in the thread, there is SO much fantastic equestrian art out there and a huge range of styles and costs- something for everyone :)

Agree 100%.

Pictures are worth what people are prepared to pay. We can go to a show one week and people will be exclaiming at how very reasonable the prices are and then the next week they will be walking away in shock! The telling thing is your waiting list, if the market will stand your prices then you will keep getting orders and be in demand.

But by the same token there is no point in doing commissions if you aren't profitable, you may as well paint purely for your own pleasure and have a day job to pay the bills. Most art isn't expensive in the scheme of things, you'd pay more per hour to get your house painted than you would to have a lovely realistic portrait painted, and guess which one takes more skill and talent!

There are lots and lots of fabulous artists out there, the best I know have been mentioned here already. I will stress though that you do get what you pay for, it may seem expensive but if you work out how many hours it takes to complete a portrait we usually work for less than minimum wage, (I know I do)!!

Again agree 100%

Why doesn't this blasted forum have a "like button"

BBH

Visit site
My husband is one of the artists mentioned by Enfys. I haven't had a portrait done of my horse, he's too busy - the cobblers children are always barefoot and all that!

He doesn't do oils, he uses colour pencil and gets loads of detail because you can make very small marks on the paper with a pencil, much more so than you can with a brush. I know I am biased but he gets a huge amount of detail and an amazing likeness. It isn't just me saying that, when he takes the pictures out to shows people often recognise the horses in them. Have a look at his work.

His website shows mainly horse heads, that is purely because this is what people most often ask for. He would love to do more full body portraits or action pictures so would certainly accept that sort of commission.

In the meantime, get snapping, some artists prefer to take their own photos but if you can get lots of good ones in the meantime it will help them when the time comes. It will also help you to decide what poses look good and what sort of thing you want from the picture.

Good luck!

OMG those portraits are so good I thought they were photo's.

Incredible.

Blythwind

Visit site
Thanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply on this thread/PM me.

I am going to take the time to look through each and every link, to help me focus on exactly what it is I want/dont want.

I know it is going to take some time, but I will (try) to upload a picture of the finished product when it is done (if i get the permission of course :)..)