Thor update post Rossdales

catembi

Visit site
Well, we now have some answers. They found that his proprioception was poor and that he was unsteady. Clinical findings are arthritis in his neck impinging on the spinal cord and a small but definitely there brain lesion in the right place to cause wobbliness. His sudden panic attacks are probably due to stress at feeling wobbly.

We had an awful journey back as he alternated between falling over and trying to kick his way out of the lorry. He arrived lathered and dripping and with several new minor injuries.

He does not meet the insurance company’s threshold for PTS. We can try medicating the neck, which might or might not work. Nothing to be done about the brain. Pronounced unsafe to ride, but I already knew that.

I am having a think, but am inclining towards PTS, otherwise I am pretty much waiting for another ‘sign’ in the form of an accident. To me, he looks stressed and unhappy. It’s hard because he looks absolutely magnificent, but I am not sure what would be achieved by keeping him going until he starts falling over.

So, there we have it. No happy ending, but I wasn’t expecting one.

Polos Mum

Visit site
So sorry to hear that. Having witnessed a small pony have a fit and the danger associated with an horse becoming unsteady / panic attacks I would PTS.
If he hurt you or someone else it would be such a tragedy.

Kindest for him to go in a managed and planned way (not in a panic when he goes down at 2am in the pouring rain in the field for example)
Safest for you too.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh Catembi, so so sorry. At least you have some definite answers and reasons.
I have also met a milestone with mine this week :(
It’s just so incredibly crappy isn’t it.
You have done everything and more. I know, same as me you keep clinging on to that very last possibility that it’s something fixable.

Hugs xx

GT_02

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you're in this position. I had to make the decision to PTS my lovely old warmblood some years ago, due to arthritis in his neck causing him to become ataxic in his forelimbs. He lost all proprioception and sadly couldn't safely be led to or from the field as the risk of him stumbling was so high.

It was a heartbreaking decision as he looked superb in himself, and was as happy as ever. However, my vet helped me make my peace with the decision by telling me that while it's normal for an owner to question whether they're making the right decision or not, it's much harder to live with the grief had I gone down to the yard one morning and found him down in the stable unable to get up, cut to ribbons. It sounds very brutal, but he was quite right, of course.

Thinking of you x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well, we now have some answers. They found that his proprioception was poor and that he was unsteady. Clinical findings are arthritis in his neck impinging on the spinal cord and a small but definitely there brain lesion in the right place to cause wobbliness. His sudden panic attacks are probably due to stress at feeling wobbly.

We had an awful journey back as he alternated between falling over and trying to kick his way out of the lorry. He arrived lathered and dripping and with several new minor injuries.

He does not meet the insurance company’s threshold for PTS. We can try medicating the neck, which might or might not work. Nothing to be done about the brain. Pronounced unsafe to ride, but I already knew that.

I am having a think, but am inclining towards PTS, otherwise I am pretty much waiting for another ‘sign’ in the form of an accident. To me, he looks stressed and unhappy. It’s hard because he looks absolutely magnificent, but I am not sure what would be achieved by keeping him going until he starts falling over.

So, there we have it. No happy ending, but I wasn’t expecting one.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am really sorry that it wasn't better news. I am afraid that experiences like yours are the main reason that we don't insure. Tbh I surprised that the vet having told you not to ride and having diagnosed a brain lesion and the rest didn't support pts to the insurance company
I wouldn't want to wait for the next incident, which could mean an emergency pts in dire circumstances which would be distressing for you and the horse.
I am not a hugger but sending sympathetic thoughts your way

Eta no idea why my quote and reply have been separated

catembi

Visit site
The vet said that where we are now is unlikely to meet the insurer’s threshold but I am going to do what I think I need to do. It’s not about the money. I will submit the paperwork afterwards and see what they say without any expectations. As we all know, the cost of buying a horse is probably the least costly cost! The insurance money would be a drop in the ocean compared with the yearly cost of maintenance!

Ceriann

Visit site
So sorry, that’s such terrible news for you. I would be thinking the same but for now just so sorry you are having to go through this.

nutjob

Visit site
I'm very sorry, I also have one where the vertebrae in the neck is impinging on the spinal cord. It's just a matter of time for him also and he's only 5.

The brain lesion would be a decider for me, a miserable, unpredictable horse which could seriously injure you or himself the next time he panics is a terrible situation. You've had some very bad luck.