Thoroughbred doing Working Hunter???

GreenEyedMonster

Visit site
I am fortunate to have found myself the loveliest little thoroughbred mare who is quite well boned and has good conformation for her type, she also has a great jump and very good brain.

I've always had a love for showing though and I feel that she would excel in working hunter and being only 18 I considered Intermediate working hunter (in the future) but of course being a TB would she even be looked at in the ring?

I know they are meant to be of hunter type but I've noticed some working hunters aren't as heavy as you might think and I think with work and good feed shed fill out nicely to be more of a warmblood build. So is it worth considering?

I wouldn't be thinking of trying the actual classes until next year at the earliest but I am just curious.
She moves so well but she isn't eligible for RoR as she never raced and there is some debate as to whether she even trained because she couldn't be quick or sharp or even remotely fast if she tried!

FYI - she is a fraction under 158cm, the most delightful manners and very nice paces, good natural jump but would need work before jumping Int. courses, good basic flatwork - quite bold, willing and laid back.

I would attach a photo but I don't know how!

thanks in advance

Crackerz

Visit site
Upload your photo's to photobucket and paste the IMG tab over here.

But as AA said - it's more about substance than breed. I had a TB that would not have looked out of place in the Hunter ring, so they do exist :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Upload your photo's to photobucket and paste the IMG tab over here.

But as AA said - it's more about substance than breed. I had a TB that would not have looked out of place in the Hunter ring, so they do exist :)

Sadly not many about anymore though Crackerz. The demise of the Hunter Improvement Society eliminated most of the old fashioned big boned TB's. A proper NH bred TB would carry 15/16 stone all day without question in the hunting field.

Crackerz

Visit site
Sadly not many about anymore though Crackerz. The demise of the Hunter Improvement Society eliminated most of the old fashioned big boned TB's. A proper NH bred TB would carry 15/16 stone all day without question in the hunting field.

That's a shame! Mine had masses of bone and was moved fabulously!

GreenEyedMonster

Visit site
Her sire was a winner of the Irish Derby and her dam also a successful NH horse if that helps create a picture of her in terms of bone and type?

I understand it's not helpful without a picture!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Her sire was a winner of the Irish Derby and her dam also a successful NH horse if that helps create a picture of her in terms of bone and type?

I understand it's not helpful without a picture!

Without a stood up picture it is impossible to say. Many a good NH horse has been a weed and some flat bred horses are big strong horses, examples would be Lady Rebecca and Persian Punch.

Equestrienne

Visit site
Well what's the scoring breakdown for working hunter where you are? I believe here 'type' is a 30% component. If your lovely sounding horse lacks slightly here, you can still go for gold with the other 70% worth of marks that incorporate manners and talent. :)

cundlegreen

Visit site
But I just worry she won't have as much as the others in her class! And so would never place despite manners, movement and jumping.

In Working Hunter, at least at the county qualifiers, its all about jumping a clear round. Then if she gives a good ride, you can afford to lose marks for type. I had a little TB mare, 16 hands with little bone, more like a riding horse. She took me to HOYS and placed at RIHS due to the fact she could jump the big tracks.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
In Working Hunter, at least at the county qualifiers, its all about jumping a clear round. Then if she gives a good ride, you can afford to lose marks for type. I had a little TB mare, 16 hands with little bone, more like a riding horse. She took me to HOYS and placed at RIHS due to the fact she could jump the big tracks.

Ballydoogan was not the biggest and look at his success. On the subject of TB's with substance, anyone on the facebook group 'Racehorses where are they now' page there is a lovely picture of a retired Somersby. Hen Knight always had proper TB's as did Jenny Pitman.

KautoStar1

Visit site

very true AA. This was raised in the minutes of the SHB (formally the HIS) AGM along with the general issue of there being too much foreign blood in the hunter ranks now. Hunters being workman like with 3 even rhythmical paces and a good lowering gallop, not suspended toe flicking trots as seen in the dressage arena. But while the professionals continue to present these types and judges continue to place them, then the true hunter, whether that be a full TB, ID or TBxID are going to be lost forever.

Sorry OP, gone a bit off piste here.

Difficult to comment without seeing a pic of your horse, but as everyone else says, if your horse can jump well out of a good forward rhythmical pace (no hooking and setting up show jumping style), has good conformation, good even paces and works in a soft elastic contact and is polite and mannerly for the ride judge then you should be fine. At county level you have the option of lightweight and heavyweight classes too. The best way to find out is to enter and see what feedback you get.

Crackerz

Visit site

This! My 14hh now retired boy doesn't have the greatest conf, but he could jump any track cleanly, whether it was a big open one or a tight twisty one. He went well too, so could afford to lose marks in the conf.

GreenEyedMonster

Visit site
Just remindi you all that she would be an Intermediate so she wouldn't be in the Open classes (they'd be through BSPS) and therefore weig sections aren't applicable!

But thank you, she is a pleasure and own - her only faux pas will be her legs are so sensitive if you try to pick one up she nearly jumps in the air and she's bold as Anyang but quite easily distracted ( she likes to talk to everybody and
look at everyone! )