thoroughbred so hard to find one

horsemow1

Visit site
I been looking for months is it me or do people want silly money for tbs off the track or with pot to be allrounder/show i mean 4000k for one that finished a month ago whats going on....

ghostie

Visit site
I paid £4k recently for my boy but he is extremely well bred. He has been off the track three and a half years and beautifully reschooled by his previous owner and is now a lovely little dressage horse.

I saw lots of cheap just off the track tbs back in January around the £1k mark - where have you been looking? Horse Mart and Preloved had loads.

McW

Visit site
I got a lovely well mannered athletic boy for under 1500, where are you based? I know his breeders have others.

skint1

Visit site
What part of the country are you based in? How competent a rider are you? I may know of a few that would be under £1000

guido16

Visit site
I have a lovely TB for sale. But unraced and unbacked (is just about to go away to get backed)

I would presume that the price you pay will depend on what you are after and where you are based.

forestfantasy

Visit site
Last time i went to DBS bloodstock sales there were hundreds going for the starting bid (800 Guineas) and all i see online are cheap TB's.
If you've got a good eye and are willing to take a risk i'd be off to the sales, we've had a few from doncaster and all have made lovely allrounders.

kateo

Visit site
I've been looking to buy a horse for a while and in the less than £4k range all I seem to see are either hw cobs or tbs with not much inbetween!

They've all been a lot cheaper than £4k though, even seen a few advertised for less than £1k. I went to view a tb mare yesterday for £2k.

Suziq77

Visit site
i def want someting that has raced and also that will show in a year

I know a lovely one which has raced, had a year off and has been re-backed and is going beautifully, very calm and sweet, lovely prospect for the show ring - advertised for £2,750. Not sure where you are looking?

forestfantasy

Visit site
as stated cumbria

You may have to travel to find the right one at the right price though - if your only looking in your area obviously there will be less choice - look for the nearest racing trainer to you and give them a call - they are generally very honest when selling as they don't want any bad publicity.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Why don't you try contacting trainers that are reasonably local to you directly - trainers down here are often looking to rehome horses that just haven't made the grade and appreciate not having to put them through the sales.

horsemow1

Visit site
You may have to travel to find the right one at the right price though - if your only looking in your area obviously there will be less choice - look for the nearest racing trainer to you and give them a call - they are generally very honest when selling as they don't want any bad publicity.

will in travel but not like 6 hours and as i want a nh tb no point looking near newmarket etc

forestfantasy

Visit site
Last edited:

boxcarhorse

Visit site
Phone your local National Hunt yards directly and speak to the trainer. At this time of year NH horses are being retired/sold because they are unsuitable for racing for whatever reason. Owners are often happy to give them away to a good home or accept under £1k for them. There are loads and loads around - just get on the phone, you'll find you are being offered TBs left, right & centre once you start!!!!!

Have a look at...

http://www.sourceanexracehorse.co.uk/
http://www.ror.org.uk/index.php

http://www.thoroughbredrehabilitationcentre.co.uk/

Last edited:

forestfantasy

Visit site
as most of the trainer in cumbria are actually family friends iv already spoken with them

It looks like your the only one on here who can't find a cheap TB for sale then!
We've all given you plenty of ideas for places to get one - looking at everyones comments i'd have had several people/sellers to call already.