Thoroughbreds and hunting?

tls

Visit site
I had a little tb mare i hunted regularly, she was the best hunter i have ever had. She had loads of stamina could gallop all day and would jump anything. She had got very good conformation and plenty of bone for a tb so soundness was never an issue.

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
We hunt our chestnut TB mare. She stands brilliantly at the meet or on point, takes off like a loon at other times, jumps everything, doesn't bat an eye at the chaos around her, copes with lots of roadwork some days, and generally is fab. She's not a great fan of mud (nor am I) so she will try and go faster and/or jump it. I am uber-careful about managing her legs afterwards - cold hosing, clay, etc and touch wood, she is fine.

Have fun!

Stu

Visit site
Hi ,
Thoroughbreds can make great hunters. I tend to hunt ex racers (because you can pick them up cheap!), mainly national hunt jump racers.

As long as they havent had any major injuries in the past then they can hold up just as well as other breeds.

And, as other posts here say, they have endless stamina and will gallop and jump all day long and never have trouble keeping up with the hounds.

I usually find they love to be somewere near the front with all the action, so head of at from the meets just behind the hounds and let them enjoy themselves!

Obviously every horse is different, but I see no problem hunting Thoroughbreds and you will have a great day. Some people may moan if they are getting a bit hot headed at the meet, but you will have the last laugh when you and your horse are still flying when others are heading for home.

Happy hunting.

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
should be ideal for Australia! As long as it can jump! Like any horse you can get one's that take to hunting like a duck to water and then there are others that just go mad!

pinklilly

Visit site
I had tb's ( ex pointers ) in at kennels where I worked as hunt groom and they did the job as well as any horse, in fact last season they were generally sounder. It's fairly rough going up here too and they would do a fair amount of work whipping in or hunting hounds all day with a non too lightweight man on board.