Thoroughbreds vs Warmbloods??

orsceno1

Visit site
Just wondered what peoples thoughts/experiences are on the above in terms of trainability, temperament etc etc. I am in the process of looking for a youngster (as some of you know
laugh.gif
) which I want with the view to eventually event (prob not much more than PN though unless I suddenly get extra brave!) plus do dressage and SJ on so basically a good all rounder. I have started looking at various horses and depending on who I speak to, some are dead set against warmbloods saying they are thick and awkward to train, whereas some will say the same about TBs
crazy.gif
Now I currently have a WB who I have to say is awkward, but certainly not thick!! But I didnt have him from a baby so dont know how he was early on. Would be really interested in what other people think about this!

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk

I have a WB and a TB. My TB Ive had since a 4 year old and he was quite easy to train, although abit of a nut case! He is pretty lively and Id prob say abit harder to ride than my WB.
My WB is far from stupid, Id actually say she's incredibly intelligent. I think some times its easy to get stupid and clever mixed up. She is much easier to ride than my TB and alot easier to handle at comps.
I think some times it depends on the horse as much as it does the breed. For instance, my Mums TB is like a big dog, very laid back, could put your granny on him, but my TB is abit of a loon who no one wants to ride half the time!

fingers_crossed

Visit site
i'm a fairly recent convert to TB's - all the way! There is nothing wrong with a warmblood its just a bit of a risk whether they can gallop well enough to make the time/stay fit easily enough. BUT for pn this is not so much a prblem. Just try to avoid anything with too much bone to avoid concussion problems as well as you can. I went out looking for something to 2*. wanted a warmblodd and had always hated TB's and ended up with a full TB who is the nicest horse i've ever met, he learns so quickly I can't believe it! He can put a bit o an argument up now and again tho. If you find a nice thoroughbred I don't think anyone can match them, but you have to find a good one thats not been messed up!

Bossanova

Visit site
I think you have to look at the horse as an individual.
I adore intelligent thoroughbreds and find them very good fun and straightforward.
I like intelligent warmbloods too and I have 2 at the moment. I cant abide stupid horses and believe me, there are some very stupid tbs around!!
I personally like my horses to have a dash of pony in them as it makes them sure footed, clever and resilient.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Don't stereotype!

I've known/ridden bright and trainable TB's - loved them!
I've had a very talented TB who was hot/anxious and tense and incredibly frustrating......
I've known/ridden stupid, awkward and stuffy warmbloods - hated them!
I've now got a very forward going, amenable WB who is very easy to do and very easy to take anywhere. Not to say she is 100% perfect - she isn't. But I don't think there is a horse out there without at least one thing (even v. small) that is less that perfect. If there is he is probably plastic and you put 10p in the slot!

Don't discount any horse on breeding alone - conformation, temperament, ability and attitude are far more important!

Good luck!

kerilli

Visit site
as above, generalisations are very dodgy, but i too would recommend an Irish x tb, they tend to be quick-thinking, honest, and to want to do things for you, rather than having an awkward temperament. that bit of carty makes a huge difference, they have an extra leg when they need it xc for instance.
i've had wbs, tbs, and ishs, and i'd rate the irish sports horses highest, and the most fun.

not_with_it

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think some times its easy to get stupid and clever mixed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt agree more. My mare is very intelligent, she is really aware of what is going on which can make her flighty and spooky. Everyone thinks she is stupid because of it but in the wild she would be the last one to get eaten.
tongue.gif
She has self preservation.

OP- Go and try both and see what you like. most WB's have a lot of TB in them anyway so they are not as far apart as people think. It really will depend on the individual horse and what you want out of it.

MandyMoo

Visit site
i have a warmblood x and a tb. the tb is younger and learnt things very quickly, and has a nice temperament...but can be a bit skitty sometimes if stressed. my warmblood x i didnt train myself...but he is very clever...but very spooky (which is from the hannoverian part of him tho) and he is very clever and i expect was very easy to train.

out of my two horses... of course i love them both to bits...but i would say i prefer riding my wamrblood x hannoverian slightly more, just cus there is more beneath me and i prefer the bigger feel...but its what you prefer really
smile.gif
xx