Thoroughpin advice!

GoodFlight

New User
Visit site
Hello,

My 10 year old Appaloosa cross has recently been diagnosed with a thoroughpin. My question is what are peoples experience with this for the future? Can he still jump/compete/hunt? Should there be a height limit on his jumping?

He is not lame and back in work after Xrays and ultrasound but I am just very conscious of not hurting him. I am thinking of putting him out on loan for a quieter life but he's young and from what i'm reading it doesn't seem to affect them?

Any help or guidance appreciated!

GoodFlight

New User
Visit site
TBH I thought thoroughpin was cosmetic and didn't affect performance but did y our vet not advise you?

My vet said he can resume usual activities after being brought back into work slowly but I have zero experience with it. I don't feel right doing as much as I was doing before - swelling doesn't just occur for no reason? Surely

Visit site
It might bring on earlier arthritis in the joint but we aren't talking instantly - maybe at 18 rather than 22yo say. It is just excess fluid in the joint, you can drain it but it will come back - could be a week, a month or a year down the line. Some days it could be bigger than others, you can push them back in too!

I had a fab Welsh C mare that had them so just before we walked out in front of the judge I would pull a cloth out of my pocket and give her hocks an extra shine ??

Dont worry about it! It's just a windgall in a different place. We have plenty of horses in the yard that have TP/WG's that race over fences and hurdles not a problem! Monitor it and on days where it seems bigger/hotter then back off work for a few days. Once it has settled you can resume bombing about like a loony nae bother!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a big mare pop one out, one day it just appeared. I used a pressage thoroughpin hock boot for a few weeks and it disappeared! It was on most of the day, took it off for lightly riding (walk/hack) and other than that it was on.

The horse had a few weeks off hard work, then returned to work, full eventing type work. Had her for years afterwards and it never did return.

I think this only works if they are new though, everything was not permanently stretched. My vet sold me the boot.

L&M

Visit site
We had a great horse that had a huge one - it would be worse in the summer, when the ground was hard, but virtually disappear in winter.

Never caused any bother, more cosmetic but as he didn't show, was never an issue.

AandK

Visit site
As long as you have had the xrays and scans to check there is nothing there and the horse is sound, I'd crack on with ridden work. My horse was lame with his, it turned out to be lateral collateral ligament damage. The surgeon said the swellings may disappear over the course of a year or two, or they may be permanent.

GoodFlight

New User
Visit site
Thank you all for your responses, this has put my mind at ease a bit! Originally because the swelling was so huge they did think it was collateral ligament damage so I think the scare factor got me

TGM

Visit site
When we bought our boy 10 years ago he had two of the biggest thoroughpins I have ever seen! Hasn't stopped him at all - he hunts regularly and has evented successfully up to 2* level.