Thoroughpin

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Has anybody had a horse with one before and if so did it cause any problems with lameness etc?
We are debating viewing a 6 year old horse with one and didnt know if it was advisable?
confused.gif

lowbardon

Visit site
i have just bought a hunter(in october) he has a thoroughpin he was vetted and passed, the vet said it is a blemish but thats it it will not effect him in any way and he has hunted every week since the start of the hunting season and has not shown any pain or anything so we just ignore it.

glenruby

Visit site
I had a pony who developed thoroughpins and the vet said they were harmless. Never did cause any problems - she never had a lame step in her life.
Also been taught in vet college not to worry about them and not to fail a horse on a vetting due to them.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
I had a pony who developed thoroughpins and the vet said they were harmless. Never did cause any problems - she never had a lame step in her life.
Also been taught in vet college not to worry about them and not to fail a horse on a vetting due to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? that's good to know! Sometimes Axel has them and some days they aren't there at all, if I press hard enough I can make them go.

ticobay831

Visit site
my horse has it, never caused him a problem at all.

Thoroughpin.

This is a distension of the tendon sheath that encloses the deep digital flexor tendon at the back of the hock. While not essentially a condition of the hock joint, it has a similar appearance to a bog spavin and therefore, needs to be distinguished from it. The swelling associated with thoroughpin is higher up and further back than a bog spavin and may be pressed from inside to outside and vice versa. Thoroughpin does not usually cause lameness and is generally regarded as of little significance.

Debs x
smile.gif

hussar

Visit site
Glad to read all of that as my youngster has what I think is a thoroughpin but he's going in for a scan on Thursday just to make sure - as an endurance horse the hock joints work very hard! My vet's opinion backs up what you've all said about it not being a problem.