Thorowgood dressage saddle and short billets

stimpy

Visit site
Has anyone ever converted a Thorowgood dressage saddle to use short girth billets? I'm at my wits end trying to find a stable dressage saddle for a round pony and really need a saddle with short billets. After going through many expensive saddles I'm now considering going cheap and cheerful and trying the low wither saddle from Thorowgood but ideally I want short billets as I really struggle to adjust a dressage girth whilst mounted on this pony without unbalancing her. I thought I could use the replacement short girth billets that Thorowgood sell for their GPs and use them on the dressage saddle after getting a saddler to stich a short billet onto the rear girth position. Has anyone else tried this?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think if your having trouble with stability I wouldn't think a thorowgood would work they are not ideal for the round wide type, I have an extremely wide round flat backed Arab I use a Lavinia Mitchell Dressage saddle with a flexi girth and the girth is done up quite high, I have had issues in the past with slipping and moving this set up works perfectly.

My advice would be find a VSD saddle that will have short billets or find a dressage saddle that fits and get the straps changed.

Me personally wouldn't have a thorowgood for love nor money horrible saddles.

stimpy

Visit site
I think if your having trouble with stability I wouldn't think a thorowgood would work they are not ideal for the round wide type, I have an extremely wide round flat backed Arab I use a Lavinia Mitchell Dressage saddle with a flexi girth and the girth is done up quite high, I have had issues in the past with slipping and moving this set up works perfectly.

My advice would be find a VSD saddle that will have short billets or find a dressage saddle that fits and get the straps changed.

Me personally wouldn't have a thorowgood for love nor money horrible saddles.

I've tried many saddles specifically designed for wide, flat backs, many girths and many fitters. Many of the fitters promise the earth but none of them deliver for this particular horse, even where they have worked for my other round, flat backed horses. Interestingly had an LM in the past but tree still too curved for my horses.

Thorowgood do a tree specifically for the low wither wide horse and I'm thousands of pounds down already so I'm happy to give it a go but it must have short billets as I will not struggle with a dressage girth any more.

eahotson

Visit site
Short backed pony with massive shoulder and I ride with a longer leg.
Oh I understand now.Well good luck.I have had Thorowgood saddles in the past and they have been perfectly satisfactory but I haven't had a dressage saddle.Perhaps a decent saddle fitter could ad ise.Or contact Thorowgood direct.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've tried many saddles specifically designed for wide, flat backs, many girths and many fitters. Many of the fitters promise the earth but none of them deliver for this particular horse, even where they have worked for my other round, flat backed horses. Interestingly had an LM in the past but tree still too curved for my horses.

Thorowgood do a tree specifically for the low wither wide horse and I'm thousands of pounds down already so I'm happy to give it a go but it must have short billets as I will not struggle with a dressage girth any more.

If it fits your horse give it a try but maybe try a girth that gives better stability I use a flexi girth or a leather no elastic and both work well.

stimpy

Visit site
Have you tried a show saddle? Even a working hunter saddle with a slight bit of knee?
I've got really used to big dressage blocks and when I tried WH saddle it felt quite odd :oops: My favourite saddle ever is a Barrie Swain WH that I have used on several of my horses over the years and I love it so much I can't bear to part with it but try as I might I just can't get it to work on this horse, two fitters have had a go at it but can't get it stable on her. She has a super wiggly back which is great in some respects but not ideal for saddle stability :rolleyes: