Thorowgood Dressage Saddles - Opinions

Joyous70

Visit site
Do any of you ride and compete in a Thorowgood dressage saddle? Could you tell me how you find them comfort wise etc., are they good value for money?

I was thinking of buying one new for my girl, it won't be used for her every single day, but for when we do schooling and dressage competitions.

I know the tree shape should suit her as she is currently in a K&M GP, but i don't have the funds for a leather dressage saddle, although i would consider 2nd hand they seem quite few and far between, so i thought a Thorowgood would be a good compromise?

Are there any down sides i should consider?

SoldierBlue

Visit site
I have a Thorowgood T8 cob dressage saddle which I am wanting to sell. I bought it for my dressage horse when I was backing her and getting her out and about. Its a lovely saddle, the seat isn't the deepest but did the job well. I've moved onto a Kieffer due to horse changing shape and me needing with a deeper seat :)

Kikke

Visit site
I have the T8 dressage, really like it. Very comfy, agree not the deepest seat but with the leather seat and kneerolls very comfy.
I was only going to have it for a short time as the one I really want is £2500 so saving up but if it says like it is now don't see any reason to change anytime soon!

HeresHoping

Visit site
I compete in a T8. It's fine - the newer ones have a much deeper seat, by the way. I have one on a very wide flat backed Connie and I can ride all day in it as it's very comfortable, and not too wide in the twist. The really nice jobs rarely come that wide, so this is good for us. Compete at Novice and work Ele at home and it does not hinder. I'm sure that my position would be better in something more customary but she's never going to be less than an XW, no matter how fit she gets. :)

katherine1975

Visit site
I have the Thorowgood T4 cob dressage saddle & GP Kent and Masters cob saddle. I use my Thorowgood for everything, hacking, fun rides and schooling. As others have said the seat isn't very deep but it is comfortable and looks smart even though it is synthetic.

Joyous70

Visit site
Thank you for your replies I think i shall be looking into this further.

Do you think that they have helped with your position for schooling and dressage or have you found because the seat isn't very deep your no better off than in a standard GP?

smja

Visit site
I've got a synthetic dressage one (can't remember which number that is, sorry!) and I love it. Position is much better than it was in a GP, and I think the seat is about right - I've got a v. short backed horse and a dodgy lower back, so prefer a flatter saddle. Saddle definitely isn't difficult to sit in though, and very comfy.

SallyBatty

Visit site
I've got the T4 dressage saddle. Got it about 9 months ago. Absolutely love it. It has quite a deep seat. Is very comfortable. Really improved my leg position compared to my GP saddle. I use it for schooling and any dressage competitions I do, so probably anything between 3 and 5 days a week. Still looks in great condition so far.

Joyous70

Visit site
This is great news, thank you. I am definately going to look to getting one on trial, I believe Rideaway allow you to trial before you buy, my local stockists only have the GP version.

Peggysue1977

New User
Visit site
I have my young very wide cob in the T8 GP and I love it!!! It also looks very smart as I have the leather finish. Once the pennies are available I will be looking into getting the dressage version as I find them excellent value for money and really comfy :)