Thorowgood/k&m saddles or something else

holeymoley

Visit site
What are your personal thoughts and experiences with either Thorowgood or Kent & Masters saddles? Particularly the dressage models.

I first tried a Thorowgood back around the mid 2000’s when they first brought them out and really disliked them. I felt tipped forward and really far off the horse’s back. It may have been that they just didn’t suit my youngster’s shape.

A good few years on and my horse is inevitably much older and has a completely different back profile. It seems our lovely Ideal saddle is now too flat in the tree, and despite trying to ‘lift’ it, the tree is just too flat for him now. I’ve ridden in dressage/working hunter styles through the years, mainly Ideals so I don’t like anything too bulky. Have the Thorowgoods improved over the years? I’m open to all models, T4 and T8 and the Kent & Masters look quite nice too. Price wise there’s not much between buying a brand new Thorowgood to a second hand Kent & Masters.

Also are they bigger than most in the seat? Ideally I need a 16.5”, he can take a 17” but if they’re big made i’d rather go for the small seat size.

Saddle fitter due out next month but interested to hear your thoughts and if anyone has any other ideas.

Kizzy2004

Visit site
I’ve just brought a k&m dressage saddle and really like it. I have the 16.5 inch, seat wise I would say they are true to size. Saddler brought out loads to try and my favourites were the k&m and Albion but couldn’t feel much difference for me between the 2 so went with the k&m

Northern

Visit site
I've had a T4 and T8 dressage. Hated them both, they put me in the weirdest position.
The T8 fit my horse very well though, and the quality was decent. I found the seat quite generous, so you will probably be ok with a 16.5".
Have also ridden in a K&M jumping saddle and hated it as well.
If you have the chance to ride in a few different models you can feel whether they are right for you or not.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I had a Thorowgood T4 high wither GP for a few years. It did a job, but I thought the seat felt like sitting on a plywood board, and it required twice yearly visits from the saddle fitter to reflock, as my horse changes shape significantly between winter and summer. That was a hassle, because (as you probably know) good, reliable saddle fitters are thin on the ground here. I stopped using it when a friend gave me a leather tree saddle, which I could adjust myself. I kept it around in case it would suit my next horse, but when I bought the baby PRE, I gleefully sold it the next day.

atropa

Visit site
I have a K&M High Wither S Series Compact GP on my ISH and although it fits the oddly shaped beast very well and looks okay, I don't love riding in it, it's bulky and I feel it gives me a very poor chair seat.

I've just bought an older Thorowgood T4 cob for my native and oddly I love it. Admittedly it may be because her last saddle fit her so badly that this is a big improvement, but it actually puts my leg in a reasonable position.

Can't help with the dressage versions, sorry.

catembi

Visit site
I have just got a thorowgood T4 GP high wither for my new boy & OMG it has made a *huge* difference to my riding confidence already! I feel that I am sitting in it rather than on it, & don't have to fight to keep a good position. Previous saddles were a wintec pro jump & a wintec Isabell Werth with the adjustable stirrup bar. Selling the wintecs & looking for the compact T4 GP to get the smaller 16.5 seat and a T4 dressage. It is so nice to be able to get on with riding effectively rather than thinking, eeeepp, I am perched and don't feel secure...

holeymoley

Visit site
Quite a mixed bag of opinions so far. I think I’ll steer clear of the T4’s. Unfortunately my budget won’t stretch to a Fairfax unless I win the lottery so it looks like it would be between the T8 and a K & M.

I have just got a thorowgood T4 GP high wither for my new boy & OMG it has made a *huge* difference to my riding confidence already! I feel that I am sitting in it rather than on it, & don't have to fight to keep a good position. Previous saddles were a wintec pro jump & a wintec Isabell Werth with the adjustable stirrup bar. Selling the wintecs & looking for the compact T4 GP to get the smaller 16.5 seat and a T4 dressage. It is so nice to be able to get on with riding effectively rather than thinking, eeeepp, I am perched and don't feel secure...

What size is you Isabell Werth? I looked at these too.

Elno

Visit site

I feel the same way about Wintecs. Had a Wintec dressage pro fitted by a Bates/Wintec saddlefitter when I had just bought the horse. Sold it after just a couple of months because I could not stand riding in it one more minute ? (Although I do have to add that I loved the Bates Caprilli jump saddle when I first tried the horse)

catembi

Visit site
Isabell Werth is 16.5", currently with a narrow gullet. I think that's a yellow in Wintecs. It's the one with the moveable stirrup bars which I was originally v v excited about because I am small & I thought it might help.

catembi

Visit site
I feel the same way about Wintecs. Had a Wintec dressage pro fitted by a Bates/Wintec saddlefitter when I had just bought the horse. Sold it after just a couple of months because I could not stand riding in it one more minute ? (Although I do have to add that I loved the Bates Caprilli jump saddle when I first tried the horse)

Yes, I can't stand riding in my wintec pro jump! It looks like such a brilliant saddle, & from a photo it looks as if I'm in a good position, but it feels as if my knees are under my chin even though they're not & that I might fall off at any moment! With the T4, I can actually ride my horse because I'm secure! I did have a dr T4 but sold it because it didn't fit whoever I had at the time...! I really didn't want to sell it but the saddler said I had to because it was the wrong shape. Aaaarrrggghhh...!