thorowgood saddles for TBs, what are they like?

cobface

Visit site
Having a new saddle in 2 weeks which is to be fitted * supplied by a saddler, well i have £500 budget and was thinking a decent second hand leather one but saddler deals with thorowgoods aswell as leather and recommended i try one as there in budget and would suit my TB, (TBs comfort is a priority). So what are they like comfort wise? am after a more forward cut type as my legs are long and i do a fair amount of jumping, hacking and xc......but on the other hand i also play about with dressage rather alot so don't want to go with a jumping saddle. As a saddle do they look okay with them being synthetic?? i am not normally a synthetic person and was secretly hoping for a nice havannah/brown leather one......
So say the T6 ones (leather look in brown) do they look okay and are they comfortable etc.......
Any pics would be good! thanks

bushbaby28

Visit site
Heya,

I have a t4 high withered one for my tb. Fits like a dream and hasn't actually needed any adjustment in the 2 years i've had it. But its very forward cut which I don't really like as I ride with seriously long stirrips.

very comfy to ride in though.

xxxxxxx

Firewell

Visit site
My mum has a T6 GP for her 16.2 TB. They both love it! Shes had it a year now and it still looks like new. You would never know it's synthetic unless you look up close, she's even had people say 'ooh nice saddle!' thinking it's an expensive leather one and not realising!
They find it very comfortable, my mum uses hers for hacking and jumping and she uses a dressage saddle for dressage (they do BD) but she says she much prefers the t6 to the dressage for comfort, my mum even went so far as to say it was the nicest saddle she's ever had!
I've just found out my jump saddle doesn't fit my boy anymore and I will be thinking about getting a T6. I'm the same as you in that I do a lot of jumping but also a fair bit of dressage.
:)

GypsyGirl

Visit site
I also have a t4 for my tb .. She's changing shape so it's ideal for her she's only 5! She goes really nicely in hers, and it's very comfertable to ride in! And when she has one of her "moments" the saddle really helps me to sit deep! I think it's because the material on the seat tbh. When I first got it, I found it a pain in the bum for the girth straps! There soo stiff to do up I found it very hard to do her girth up (she's a 15.2 and I'm 5ft1) so harder on the ground! Other from that I've found it a perfect saddle for her! :)

TheEquineOak

Visit site
I also have a T4 for my TB. It is the cut back type for high withers. It is super comfy, I've used it for jumping, dressage, hacking and schooling. I didn't want to buy synthetic but I must say, I am very impressed with it.

It is for sale if you are looking for an excellent, hardly used, second hand one :D

Kokopelli

Visit site
I have had many Thorowgood saddles (pretty much the only make we can afford) and I think they are fab. I got my first brand new leather saddle and even then we went for the leather version of the Thorowgood as I find them very comfy and my horses went well in them. :)

1alex1moose

Visit site
I have a thorowgood T4 High Wither GP for my thoroughbred-type warmblood. It has fitted him for three years from age 3 to present. I backed him in it and we are now jumping 1.20 courses in it. It has fitted the whole time and is only just starting to crack on the girth straps despite an impressive amount of abuse including my horse repeatedly taking off his own saddle and chucking it across the yard. Can't recommend them enough!!