thorowgood saddles - T4 cob and T8 GPD?

cob&onion

Visit site
Yes another saddle question!
The saddler came out today - we have decided to go with a thorowgood cob saddle - a GPD and a GP cob have been ordered to try next week.
I want brown tack as would like to do some showing and i already have a smart brown hunter bridle :)
Apparently my cob has HUGE shoulders so thats why i have been struggling with saddles
The GPD t4 cob in the synthetic only comes in black :( so we have ordered a GPD T8 in brown and a t4 cob GP in brown too.
I have limited funds and the t8 is £100 more than the cob GP - so i would like opinions on the cob GP - is it straighter cut than a standard gp? what is it like? is it smart and comfortable??
Has anyone any pic of their cob wearing the cob GP t4? or the cob GPD t8?
Thanks

Blitzen

Visit site
No experiences of these saddles, but I've had my eye on one for little cob for a while. I read somewhere online that the t4/6/8 cob is straighter cut to allow for chunky shoulders. Will be watching this thread with interest! x

Orchardbeck

Visit site
Yes, I have a brown t4 cob specifically for the big shoulder reason you describe above, and it is straight cut -i got my saddler to try an ordinary (black) t4 gpd on my mare and it was really just about the same cut in front. The main difference for me was that the panels seemed to be shorter on the cob version, and the gpd seemed to be too long for her, whereas the cob was fine... We have a funny issue in that she has big shoulders, a high wither and a broad back, and after putting shimz in the panels, adding more flocking (dippy back) in the middle and reducing the gullet width, somehow this saddle seems to be ok...!

I am really pleased with the look of it in brown, i've had black synthetics for years and fancied a change when I was sorting out a new saddle, plus I like it that they are so adjustable (with the advice of a fitter).
Haven't a pic i'm afraid though.