Those darn awful extendable leads strike again.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I hate them too I was bitten by a dog on one at a show it ran up to me and bit me above the knee it happened in an instant it was walking with it's owner and I never thought it would suddenly run across the road and bite me no warning .
I am nervous of dogs on them now

Nicnac

Visit site
Hate them. Daughter has horrible scars on backs of knees having been caught by one on a beach in Belgium. Was at Pau at weekend and some bleddy idiots had them on the XC!

keeperscottage

Visit site
I hate them but have just bought one for my little rescue Springer x Lab who has no recall once she picks up a scent! A friend of mine, several years ago, was looking out of her bedroom window when she witnessed a dog on an extending lead wandering into the road and being hit by a car and killed. The owner was hysterical. Hate them, but need one for my little Rosie......but won't be going near a road! All my dogs (four, excluding Rosie) have amazing recall, so Rosie is a new challenge!

cava14una

Visit site
Fine if they are used sensibly but a nightmare if they aren't! I had just come out of plaster after slipping and cutting my knee open I was at a dog event and twice within 10 minutes had a dog on an extending lead wrapped round my legs> Dog was with a child but parents saw the whole thing, I wasn't as polite the second time it happened!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I used one the first time we took pup on the cliffs at Weybourne, just as well as she would definatly have tried to jump in the sea from them. I have never used one before and we had a few cats cradle moments, but only amongst ourselves. Back on a normal lead once we got to Sheringham.

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
It depends how they're used. I use one for walking across fields that have livestock in them, for example, so the pooch can have a little bit of freedom and the livestock are safe. I can't bear it when I see people using them on pavements without the lock on, though. Time and place...

Lanky Loll

Visit site
awful things - saw someone running with a dog on one at the weekend, in town, dog 10ft or so behind the owner, running across road junctions etc, owner seemed to be oblivious to how far the dog was behind him it just looked like an accident waiting to happen

FubsyMog

Visit site
Count me in on the campaign. I was lunged at by a large dog last week whilst out for a jog. Owner could see me (long straight, WIDE footpath), I made eye contact with him, dog appeared to be on a lead, so I proceeded to attempt to pass, having slowed to a walk *just in case*. As I drew level, owner spooled out the extendible line and dog lept at me, barking. I had nowhere to go as lead and dog were blocking the entire path and footpath runs beside a busy main road with constant stream of traffic. I did get cross and shouted at the owner to get the dog under control as it was in a public place. Once I had passed, I looked over my shoulder to see owner allowing it out on the extendible to get into the space of another dog which was on a normal lead, the owner looking panicked.

There was a little girl knocked down and killed on the same road (further up) last year when her dog ran into the road on an extendible lead and she ran after it.

Mitchyden

Visit site
It's not the leads that are at fault but the people who use them! I use one regularly on a timid dog who if he hears a bang will run for his life. It is always on lock along roads, pavements and anywhere where other people and dogs are present. It is just nice for him to be on an extendable lead across the fields because he can have more freedom without the risk of him running off at the slightest noise.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
More a case of those darn awful people who can't use them properly, rather than the leads themselves ... ?

This ^^^

We have one, for various different reasons. Never had a problem with it being wrapped around anyone or anything - when people are around, it's a short lead anyway.

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
Oh - and those darn awful cars - they cause so many accidents ;) . Here's my list of darn awful things to be banned:
- cars, they cause too many accidents
- horses, they cause a dent in the bank balance
- estate agents, just because they exist

Sorry, couldn't help it :D :D :devilish:

Wiz201

Visit site
I use a flexi lead but I only use it on Amber who is a steady walker anyway. She has to stay on the lead as she cannot be fully trusted round other dogs so she has that for a little more freedom and she can also swim without being let off lead if necessary. I keep it locked for walking on the road which is only 2 mins in total.
I would not use one on the cockerpoo as he's bad for pulling and just runs up and down and lunges on it, so he's on a short lead. Fortunately he can be let off lead with a good recall so he can do what he likes in the field.

at work

Visit site
It's not the leads that are at fault but the people who use them! I use one regularly on a timid dog who if he hears a bang will run for his life. It is always on lock along roads, pavements and anywhere where other people and dogs are present. It is just nice for him to be on an extendable lead across the fields because he can have more freedom without the risk of him running off at the slightest noise.

This - I was going to post almost word-for-word the same

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I bought one when our dog was a puppy it helped to teach re call but I never use it now, I find it too bulky to hold and my dog walks so nicely to heal I really don't need it she only leaves my side when let off the lead, I think they are dangerous around horses seen one get wrapped around a horses legs and the dog nearly got trampled, luckily horse didnt panic too much and someone had a knife handy and cut the thing.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Fine if they are used sensibly but a nightmare if they aren't! ...

Well said, in the right hands, I think that they're useful.

There was a little girl knocked down and killed on the same road (further up) last year when her dog ran into the road on an extendible lead and she ran after it.

I'm sorry to hear about, that you met a stupid dog owner when out jogging, and what happened to the little girl is awful.
But I'm not sure that I think that it is the extendable lead's fault that she died. To me, it sounds just as possible that she wasn't using the expandable lead correctly, = while walking near/next to a road, keeping it locked on such a length that the dog couldn't reach the road. Besides, perhaps it is also possible, that if she had been using a normal lead, that instead of running after the dog out on the street, maybe the dog could have dragged her out on the street.

I think that I was about 3 or 4 years old, when I once was dragged, mainly on my stomach, across a small cul-de-sac road, by a Cocker Spaniel on an ordinary leather lead, who had spotted a wild rabbit/hare. It had nothing to do with the lead, my mother just hadn't thought about, that there could be something near "our" apartment building that the dog could want to run after, and had allowed me to hold the lead. My mother also didn't know that the dog (which we were dog-sitting), would become temporarily deaf when she saw a wild rabbit/hare.

CowCob

Visit site
They're good when used correctly-
My girlie has one for lots of reasons (being slightly deaf for one) and it's always locked when on a pavement/road or when someone is coming past us. Wouldn't use one on a dog with aggression/bolting issues tho, just too dangerous. But thankfully she's very docile and well behaved. Have too agree tho, they are way to bulky so most of the time when we're in the back of beyond woods I just let her loose but with conditions (no cows or sheep about up there so no worry of spooking them)

Onefortheteam

Visit site
Agree with most of the others about them having a place. My dog is rarely walked on a lead as she comes to work with me and free ranges all day.
However, on my days off I walk her in my village and she's not brilliant around other dogs, she's far too playful but hasn't learnt to play properly as she just plays rough with the Rottweiler guard dogs at the yard! It's perfect for letting her have a little freedom in the fields but without having to chase after her when she goes to play with that dog a mile away over the fields!
It's always locked when on the pavements though! Or I take a slip lead and use that on the roadside!