Those horses of the past you wonder about

kbsaff

Visit site
I always wondered the whereabouts of Emma.
She was my first pony who was completely mine. She taught me EVERYTHING! From the importance of a well fitting riding hat to not forgetting to double check the bolts on stable doors.
She was a spotty little 14hh ish welsh x something or other. Slightly unfortunate looking(!) with brown ears, black legs and funny "fried egg" eyes.
A lovely little pony although a little shy. I sold about ten years ago her as I'd gone as far as I could with her. I think the girl was called Stephanie I think. I guess she'd be about 20 now. Oh, and she had a reputation as a bit of a farrier killer.

Also Tilly or "Tilsdale Top Gun" 15.2 IDxTD. She was a rose grey ish colour. She was sold to a lady in St Albans. Probably about 11 or 12 now? A stubborn Moo who knew her own mind but completely bombproof with the most laid back nature

I'dlove to hear how they're getting on if anyone knows!?

DebbieCG

Visit site
I've had over 25 years of wondering what happened to my stolen horse, Ballymoss. He was a 16.2hh chestnut, T/B gelding and he was our world. He was 12 years old when stolen in 1981 from Hertfordshire. We think he was spotted at a sale in Shrewsbury soon after and after we received an anonomous phone call in 1984 we think he may have been in the Oxfordshire area, but we knew nothing for certain, so don't know whether he survived or not. We have always hoped he got to a good home. We searched all we could back in the 1980s but could never find him. Still heartbroken about it.
I was going to put his details on a separate post on the forum (but unsure if reponse would be sympathetic) in case anyone may recognise him from the past (he had distinct markings: star and snip, two hind socks.) Obviously a long time ago, but there are people who visit this forum who rode and had horses back then and probably still today. He would have been about 25 years old in 1995, but in theory about 40ish now, so obviously no longer here. He was a lovely, gentle horse.

horsepic4.jpg

somethingorother

Visit site
teddybearhaffy, i have replied to your pm :)

DebbieCG, how awful to wonder all these years. Maybe a post in the stolen part of the forum might help. He was a gorgeous boy, i am sure someone would have fallen in love with him and given him a happy life. x

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I know, that story was so sad. I hope someone knows where he is. Do you have any pictures Laura?

I hope everyone is reading everyone elses if they have time, it's a big part of the point of this ;)

I hope this is a link to photos of him. I can't seem to copy it. I hope it works.
http://www.winkflash.com/photo/imagew2.aspx?c=7060009&i=322922754&z=0
http://www.winkflash.com/photo/imagew2.aspx?c=7060009&i=322922761&z=0

Sorry they're not clear but they are off my phone and it's old LOL.
I had some photos of him but i think they got thrown away while i was in hospital as i can't find them anywhere now. (no prizes for guessing who threw them away)

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Ok i managed to copy them to my Photobucket account. Hope it works now.
littlejo2.jpg

LittleJO3.jpg

LittleJo.jpg

Littlejo4.jpg

And thankyou for the link smartieBean09 I'll make some enquirerys. I'm off line till after easter but if anyone knows anything of his whereabouts i would be so greatful of any news. PM me please.

DebbieCG

Visit site
teddybearhaffy, i have replied to your pm :)

DebbieCG, how awful to wonder all these years. Maybe a post in the stolen part of the forum might help. He was a gorgeous boy, i am sure someone would have fallen in love with him and given him a happy life. x

somethingorother - thank you very much for your kind and encouraging reply. I have been meaning to put a post on the H&H forum for some time now, but sometimes there have been some posters who are not too kind when it comes to 'opinions about horsetheft' and they do not understand the emotional effect it has on the owners and their families.

Even though my horse would be too old to be alive now, it does not bring me closure or peace of mind - for that I need to know what happened to him. Hopefully all horse owners that love their horses dearly will understand this. So I will hopefully soon put up a post to see if anyone from the horseyworld may just recognise him from the past. I can only hope he survived and got to a place where he was loved and cared for, as we did.

Small photo below was taken just before he was stolen, and he looks slightly different as he was clipped.

horsepic2-1.jpg

charliehands

Visit site
mines evie (not sure thats how its spelt) she was on loan to the people that i rode for as a companion after their other horse died in 2006. they had her from december 2006 til january or feb 2007. she was around 10 years old at the time so 13ish now, she was a 15.2 tb mare and when they had her she had bred 2 foals. she had trouble with her back ( which i was told she did whilst jumping) which meant that she couldnt be ridden but she did start to have treatment from a Chiropractor and they were planning on bring her back into work. i believe she was from the north oxfordshire/south warwickshire area. would like to know how she is :)

cute.jpg

NeilM

Visit site
There are two horses I often wonder about, both were at the riding school I learned at back in the middle 1980's.

Teddy was a hairy cob who was the colour and who's coat was the texture of a teddy bear. He taught me to be kind to horses. He did this at the end of a ride when I had probably been a bit over enthusiastic in all respects, especially at a canter with my stick. As I dismounted, he neatly put one of his front feet on top of one of mine. He put just enough weight on my foot to prevent me from moving it and then he just fixed me with one eye. I understood immediately and apologised and he lifted his foot. What a wise chap he was.

The second, at the same school, was Knocker, a grey gelding. He was just a joy to ride and knew his job so well that he made me look like a much better rider than I actually was.

I still know the owner of the riding school, but I don't think I want to know what happened to the pair of them, I'll just keep my happy memories.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
I always used to wander about our polo ponies we sold.... all the time... i went to a yard last summer with my brother as its a polo yard and my brother was going to play for the owners team... he was showing us some of his horses and i saw 3 horses that i recognised, looked at the names on their doors and was like hmm.... and then i was like OMG its them! eeeeeeeeee... aha, one is having a foal atm... i always wandered but now i know!
still as lovely as i remember and i am so happy that they are this guys place, just down the road from us, even though when we sold them we lived an hour away from where we are now...

tickety_boo

Visit site
Peter's Paperchase - 'Polly'
16/16.1hh rich bay mare, heart shaped star, no other white markings.
Last known 'in the Birmigham area'.

Would love dearly to know how she is.

Faithkat

Visit site
Oberon, 7/8TB 1/8CB born 4th May 1996, by Bootsman Bains out of Aprils Choice, chestnut probably about 16hh. Registered/passported with the now defunct British Horse Database (he's on NED) I had him from 10 months to 3.5 years, sold him to a local girl who sold him on to someone who I believe now lives up Wantage/Oxford way. I'd love to know how he is. If you have him or know of him, please pm me. I have baby photos you might be interested in

Snugglebum

Visit site
Pandora (Panda) Steel Grey Mare 15.2 I sold her in July 2006 to a home in Shropshire to a lady called Dawn.I know she has now sold her but I would love to hear how she is getting on with her new owner.She's very pretty and was a lovely horse and I miss her alot and think about her daily.

Joseph ( Wannes Van Essen ) 17.3 Grey gelding Warmblood BWP brand - By Corland. I sold him in 2004/2005 only because he grew so big! He was a fab horse and i struggled on with him for over 3yrs but me being 5'2 just couldn't get to grips with him he thought he would just ignore me and thought i was tickling him with my legs. He is a very vocal boy and moans and groans when being ridden and jumped! He always used to bring him self in from the field however high the gates were - He even once jumped over a car as it was in his way to get back from the field! Last i heard of him was in Cheshire with Andrew Heffernan and he was eventing himn but had him up for sale - I'm hopeing he is in a good competition home.He will be around 10/11 ish

Veno - 16.1 Bay Gelding Slavakian Warmblood - Lord and Ladykiller lines Bay with white stripe and snip - Sold in 2007 - Home in North east - Was told they would keep in touch and that they were going to hunt him but never heard anything from the new owners and i tried txting but never got a reply when i rang they never answered.He will be about 7 now.

Mr Dudley - 14.2 unreg welsh cob chestnut with flaxen mane and tail with a big white blaze - wasn't mine but i used to work on a dealer yard and he was one of the ones I realy fell for he was fantastic very good jumper , very wick was sold to a yard in the Cheshire area .I think the name on his passport was sparky.

I have pics of all the above but can't work out how to put them on with out the OH here to help!
If any body knows any of them i would love to hear from you

AGAGE

Visit site
I often wonder about what happened to Pagan (Windymeads Etiquette) and whether she is still alive, as she would be in her late 20's/early 30's now.She was my second pony, a 14.1hh flea bitten grey/roan welsh cross x arab. She was absolutely stunning and a real character.

We sold her as a light hack to a friend of a friend in New Buckenham, Norfolk. We heard via the lady that put us in contact with the buyers that she was doing well there, but after a year or two moved to friends in Swaffam as a companion.

I do hope she is still alive, I spent the best part of my teenage years with her. I will always remember how she tried to jump the drop frence on a xc course by jumping up 3ft into the air as if there was a huge fence there, we both went splat. My legs stuck up from her sides like wings, she looked like Pegasus!

twisteddiamond

Visit site
i often wonder about sandy a welsh b we had on loan from a dealer called johnny cooper, we were supposed to get first refusal of him when he came up for sale, one day we went up to ride and he was gone, the YO told us Mr cooper had taken him as he had sold him to someone else, he would be 26 this year he was a lovely little chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail

Fii

Visit site
The one pony that i regret selling, is a chestnut, NF gelding called Firefly, he is about 13.2, with four white stockings and a blaze, with a white chin, and would be about fourteen now.
he was a bit cheeky, and would take polo's with his teeth, instead of his lips, so i used to post them into the corner of his mouth.
The woman who bought him, phoned about two months after, to say she was having problems with him jumping out and biteing, and could i help, i offered to buy him back at the price she bought him for, but she refused.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I wonder about all our horses from the past and how they are and even if they are still alive, would be surprised if the TB mare was still going, she would be about 30+ now. Our old stallion would be getting on too if still going, he would be about 28 now! eeekk

I did get in contact thanks to a lovely lady on here with the now owner of my mare's first daughters, being a pretty distinctive piebald she was easier to track down I think, and I am so chuffed, I do hope to see her again one day, I would even buy her back if money allowed, I had her for her first 10yrs, backed her etc.

I just hope that all of them are well loved and looked after wherever they are

MagicMelon

Visit site
I've been very lucky to stay in touch with all owners of my past sold horses and ponies. There's really only one (the only one I had on loan when I was a kid) that I have tried looking for but never found :( He was a 13.2hh grey roan Trakhener x Welsh, very odd looking guy as he had a big horsey head on a pony body! Had the strength of a horse too unfortunately. He was gelded with us but he remained a rig. We just couldnt cope with him - when he bolted with me out of a field onto a main road falling over in a heap, my mum tried to return him. But the owners were very poor... so they couldnt have him back and agreed for us to sell him for them which we did (I think he went for peanuts!). I heard from one person since who said they knew of him once - because of his rig behaviour he'd been passed around a lot of pony club homes in central Scotland somewhere :( :( :( We were only novice owners back then but I really wish I could have him back now and stop the passing-about. Apart from trying to kill my other gelding (literally - he would jump fences etc. to get to him), funny thing was that on his own he was the sweetest pony and he could jump HUGE! No idea if he's still on the go :(

Regret-wise, there's two. The last horse I sold (Welsh D) I really regret selling, he just made me feel so lucky to own and ride him. He was the most difficult horse at times but we had such a strong relationship. Another pony I regret selling to a particular home... all others I've been quite pleased with where they've ended up!

Last edited:

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Another horse I often think about is Peacan from my old Riding school, The Spanish Bit.

Last I heard, she had just had a foal. I used to always ask to ride her. She was brilliant.

I have no idea how old she is now but she was about 15.2hh and Piebald. She also hated whips.

RSL

Visit site
Rather a few to be honest, would love to see them again but its never going to happen.

One was a 8months old, Appy x Welsh D, supposed to be going half's with a mate, mate turned out to be some totally different then she was, don't know what happened to the foal from then on, hes name would have been "Marbles, Brambles or Harvey" he was a strange color, Sire was 16'2hh and Dam 15'2hh, came from Rowland's Castle.

kezimac

Visit site
I always wonder about my first horse CHLOE (think new owner spelt Cloe) She was Idxtb and a palamino. With blaze and two white socks on hind legs and little bit of white on front front heel. She was 15.3hh. She was 5 in 1993 so about 22/3 now - she was my world. I couldnt afford to keep her and sold her to a family who the husband was planning on riding her -she went to a place by water orton - just north of birmingham - I did get a card with a pic first xmas after she went but then lost touch - I would love to know how she is.
She was very similar looking to third pic in my signiture - but palomino not bay. will try dig out photos and scan them

monkeybum13

Visit site
I've always wanted to know how Black jack is getting on. He was my first pony, he taught me to ride and was a general super star. He was a 12hh black welsh section A
I'd hope that he's teaching lots of other little children how to ride. If I had the space I'd try and have him back as soon as. It's upsets me that we never kept in contact which is why the two ponies we sold after him we have made sure we are in regular contact, they're both close so we can go and see them, infact one is with another HHO on her yard.

(dressed up for a pc musical ride, hence why we look like rugby players)
blackjackasrugbyplayerPCCamp2000Ley.jpg

Last edited:

TheShark

Visit site
I'd love to know what happened to the horses and ponies from Greenacres Riding Centre, at Puxley near Milton Keynes, after the riding school there closed in the mid-90s. There were some amazing ones and some naughty but loveable ones and it is always the naughty ones that teach you the most! I'll always miss Percy, Heathcliffe, Dylan, Jasper, Sonny, Cherie, Erin, Hector, Hope, Mr Nibbs (the resident grump), Danny, Harvey and Sterling! Bless 'em - I hope they all went to good homes.

monkeybum13

Visit site
monkeybum13, good ponies like that are worth their weight in gold, i bet he has taught lots of kids how to ride and had tonnes of cuddles along the way :)

I forgot to mention - angel on lead rein, b*gger off!
On the lead rein he'd do anything, jump everything xc and I'm sure he would have made an excellent lead rein hunting pony as he was fab to canter /gallop if riding and leading.

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Great post!!
I often wonder about an Arab I loaned from a work colleague about 5 years ago. I don't normally go for Arab types, but he was so the opposite of an Arab. He was so relaxed and laid back. His nickname on the yard was Eyore (sp).
He was a rose grey, about 14.3 hh and called Shah. His owner fell pregnant and she gave me full responsibilty, although she paid the bills. He was about 4 years then, so would be coming onto 10 now. He jumped for England and schooled lovely! Have got some pics, but no on computer :(
Owner moved to France, and gave me first refusual, but I didn't have the money then :( She sold him to a lady who wanted something sensible to "look after" her youngster.

I don't know if my friend is still in France, and have tried to find Shah, but never got anyway! Be nice to know how he is doing though...

Quadro

Visit site
I am desperate to find a horse a sold to years ago :( i had to part ex him with a dealer to be able to afford the horse i was buying, i only sold him as i had jumped him as far as he could go, i even put my details in the back of his passport (sports horse GB one) but noone has ever called :(
He is 15.2hh bay gelding called toy prince or teddy at home, he is conn x TB and was born in 1999, he was registered BSJA with me with winnings but he has never been registered since :( he is very strong but unbeatable against the clock, has sweet itch (mild) in the summer and is a sod to catch!!
i sold him in the summer of 2008 to Kate Bunting (Turlood Sports Horses) and would be desperate to find him now!! and if he is ever for sale i will take him no matter what the price tag where he will have a home for life!!
i miss teddy...............................

Doncella

Visit site
JLs Spyder 15.2 WCxHann Bay gelding
I only sold him a couple of years ago but the new owners never got in touch and sold him on again because of the recession.
He's a fab dressage horse but can jump.
I believe that he was in the South East when last heard of.
He's a gentle soul and I'd love to know how he is.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I have two ponies from the past I would love to know the whereabouts of.

Rushmoor Just William a bay, New Forest pony, rising six, probably about 14hh, really sweet and chilled out.
2909750630038774728.jpg

& Blue, a Welsh type 12.2hh, grey (used to be blue and white) mare, nervous to shoe and catch, she was a good childs pony and was previously a broodmare, bred lovely coloured foals. She would be about 20 years old now.
0812280102.jpg