Those of you who buy large round bales of hay & straw.....

olop

Visit site
Could you tell me how much you use a month??

I am thinking of going back to DIY to save some pennies and the yard sells large round bales of hay & straw but didn't know how much I should budget for each month (he is a 15hh piglet who gets through about 1 & a half haynets a night)

TIA

Kezzabell2

Visit site
my round bales used to last 2 weeks for 2 horses and a mini Shetland, that literally stood at it eating 23 hours a day! but they did waste a lot of it too, would drop it on the ground and poop on it! was still cheaper that feeding small bales!

gingernut81

Visit site
A rround bale of hay lasts me about a month for a 14.2 and Shetland. Round bale of straw just over. I have found it so much cheaper than shavings - saved about 80 a month on bedding alone!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Two big ISH on hay 24/7 eat a bale a week, sometimes it lasts a bit longer if I'm lucky. If they're out during the day it lasts double that.

flaxen

Visit site
My 13.2hh welsh c goes through one round bale of hay in about 4-6 wks, he has 2 decent nets a day ( one at night one in his turnout pen ), straw can be the same or longer depending how much he is in.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We buy large bales at £27 per bale & they last 2 x 16h2" & 1 x 15h12" horses about 9 days. The horses are out from early morning till mid afternoon on good grass & then brought into stables.

We don't use straw at all, we use pellet bedding.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Large round hay bale lasts 4 x 16hh horses about 6 days, in overnight and hay in the field during the day, pretty much fed ad-lib.

We have big rectangular bales of straw, one lasts 3 horses (other has shavings bed) about 3 weeks. We find there is less waste with the rectangular bales than with the round ones we used to get.