Those of you who can't get to the yard until after 5...

StarFell

Visit site
How do you cope when the clocks go back, with the dark nights? I'm a bit worried because I started a new job this year, and my working hours mean I won't be able to get Star in until after 6, when its going to be dark. I'll have to lead him down a long path which is going to be dark to get him back to the farm too. How do you manage getting your horses in and out in the dark? Do you just take a torch? Bit of a daft question I know
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Could you come to an arrangement with another livery? You can buy halogen head lights that go on a band around your head leaving your hands free for negotiating gates and stuff.

Janette

Visit site
I turn out at 7am, and get in after 5pm and used a torch last year, but it made getting MY Star's (
grin.gif
) head collar on a bit iffy. She wasn't sure about this thing in my hand. I know that some people use head torches, and Musto (I think...) make a peaked cap with little bulbs in the peak and these are quite good as well.

It's amazing how much light there is though, especially when the moon is out. I didn't need my torch very often at all. When it's frosty/snowy, it's really quite bright.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
i would also recommend trying to get a friend to go with you too if its a dark path...and a torch yes...but really would want someone else around with me just incase....
or try and get someone to bring her in for you before it gets dark maybe that you turn theirs out for them to bring in?

grouchymare

Visit site
I just use a head torch so hands are free, thought my mare would be freaked by it but she's fine. It helps if the light can be angled so you can point it down towards the ground instead of straight in horses eyes!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 but I bring them in at 5am and then 8-9pm when I get home and I generally cope fine without a torch (used to use one but haven't got round to replacing the batteries
blush.gif
) you will be surprised how well your eyes adjust to the darkness and how much you can make out - it can also be very light if the moon is out. Thankfully one of my boys is grey so I can find him pretty easily!

Guinness

Visit site
I would try and arrange something with another livery, there is nothing worse than having to get your horse in when its dark + peeing down (when they generally hide in a corner of the field and you cant find them!). I have to turn out in a field about 1 mile from the yard (down a road + up a bridleway) so there is no way I would do that in the dark. I turn out in the morning for another livery and then she fetches them in before dark, works out fine.
smile.gif

LOZHUG

Visit site
If you cant get anyone else to get your horse in invest in a head lamp. I use my dad's fishing one its great, hands free to do gate, lead horse etc. I thought my horse wouldnt like a light on my head but he doesnt even bother doing a thing.

I chuck out at 5:30am on my own and bring in just gone 5pm which very soon will be dark.

Last year he was in the field over the road so I used to go with light have tabard on and my dad used to come and drive behind us with hazards on just whilst we were on the road. This year its much easier as he is straight out the door and in the field.

WeeBrown

Visit site
As others have said I used a head torch last year when it was dark. I was putting her out at 6am and having to cross 3 fields filled with other horses so needed hands free to shoo them off.
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I have three out at grass all the time, so do them every night with a head torch - they don't mind at all.
If you are buying one, though, pick one which has different light intensity settings - I can dim mine if I am blinding any of my horses (although now they just stand and eat hay with their eyes shut til I go away
grin.gif
).
S
grin.gif

katie_southwest

Visit site
Head torch - and run!
I finish work at 5 (ish) and get to yard at half 5, so it will be pitch black
crazy.gif

Luckily usually there are others there still so we all wander about with our head torches on and just get done as fast as possible
smile.gif

SO1

Visit site
I dont get to the yard till 6.30 but I have a living out pony and he has a blaze so that helps when I am trying to identify him with the big torch as there are 4 other ponies of similar shape and size and colour.

He now recognises the torch as meaning food and sometimes comes wondering over if I am lucky - I don't take him up to the yard in the dark though as it is 15 minutes walk in the dark and last winter he spooked in the dark and I let go of the lead rein and he jumped back over the gate into the field. I just feed him by the gate.

If you have not got a very long journey from yard to field then if you have lights on the yard it may light some of your journey - then you just need head torch and possibly big torch as well. If your horse comes in at night you may find with less grass he will wait for you by the gate and come in quietly as he is ready for tea. My pony does not wait by the gate though but he has plenty of grass.