Those of you who still have their 1st horse and is now an OAP ....

Blue-bear

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
prob not retired her at the age i did, think if i'd kept her ticking over few more years she may not have aged so quickly. difficult tho,as always thinking what if she trips etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the same for my boy. Hes 28 this year. he still acts like a 2 year old though!

SpruceRI

Visit site
Not my first pony....this one is about my Shettie (Eaglestone has had the pleasure of being shoved and frisked by him!)

I've had him 19yrs - he's 20yrs in May.

I wish I'd made more effort to teach him manners, though I don't remember him being quite as bad then as he is now!

He's not nasty in any way, just down right naughty!

He managed to rip my jeans and my leg this afternoon, in giving me a good shove! His headcollar is one of those with the buckle across the nose - ouch!!

Then stands there like butter wouldn't melt .....

china

Visit site
i wish i could find my first horse. a 14.1 new forest, he was my first pony and i had him from a 2 year old and had him 4 years before i sold him. now i have no idea where he is, i always dream that il find him again and keep him till hes old and grumpy. il continue looking for him but what are the chances really of us being reunited?. you never know, this might be my lucky year.

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely nothing!
smile.gif
It was love at first sight. I worked with him for a few years before I was offered him. There was never any doubt for either of us.
smile.gif
I was always told that he was too big for me, too much horse for me. (17.3 vs 5ft 2)

We have known each other 20 years now and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times we have parted company involuntarily.

I didn't have him vetted and would have looked after him even if he had become unridable the day after he came to live with me.

He is now 26yrs young, grumpy, possessive over the mare, riddled with arthritis but still gives the others a run for their money and teaches them all the "bad habits" and "things that will really wind mom up"

I wouldn't change him for the world. He is still Captain of my heart.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god, I have now got tears in my eyes .... Touch wood, I have only parted company with Motor on 2 occasions, and that was in the first year, one my fault the other he slipped
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If I thought about all the things we have been through over the years I think I would cry, laugh, cringe, giggle... thats what its all about right?
laugh.gif
(but thats a whole new thread!
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for it Crazyfriesian ... start with some pics please
grin.gif

Chex

Visit site
I'd like to think I wouldn't have done anything differently, but I do slightly regret not doing more with him when he was young and able. But on the other hand he was happy and so was I at the time so I guess thats all that matters
laugh.gif

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not my first pony....this one is about my Shettie (Eaglestone has had the pleasure of being shoved and frisked by him!)

I've had him 19yrs - he's 20yrs in May.

I wish I'd made more effort to teach him manners, though I don't remember him being quite as bad then as he is now!

He's not nasty in any way, just down right naughty!

He managed to rip my jeans and my leg this afternoon, in giving me a good shove! His headcollar is one of those with the buckle across the nose - ouch!!

Then stands there like butter wouldn't melt .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have had the pleasure of meeting him and what a lovely chap he is
smile.gif

I do recall being the wrong end when he bucked as we played Gymkana cames
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

But to be honest MH ... Shetties are Shetties are Shetties .... and that is all there is to it
cool.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif

Long may you have him, as he is a star
cool.gif
smile.gif

PS ...... I thought you would have sorted him out with your nappie technique
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Suppose if I had had more money when he was younger we would have had more lessons and dressage would have been a bit better. However he never needed lessons to be able to jump or hunt he just loved it.

I was still hunting and intro eventing when he was 24, and the last 5 years of his life I waslucky enough to have him at home, and see him from my kitchen window.

Anything I would have changed?? - if he hadn't been so damn good, I wouldn't find it so hard now to replace him.

Fiona

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i wish i could find my first horse. a 14.1 new forest, he was my first pony and i had him from a 2 year old and had him 4 years before i sold him. now i have no idea where he is, i always dream that il find him again and keep him till hes old and grumpy. il continue looking for him but what are the chances really of us being reunited?. you never know, this might be my lucky year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know .... good luck
smile.gif
grin.gif

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Suppose if I had had more money when he was younger we would have had more lessons and dressage would have been a bit better. However he never needed lessons to be able to jump or hunt he just loved it.

I was still hunting and intro eventing when he was 24, and the last 5 years of his life I waslucky enough to have him at home, and see him from my kitchen window.

Anything I would have changed?? - if he hadn't been so damn good, I wouldn't find it so hard now to replace him.

Fiona

[/ QUOTE ]

My dream is to be able to see Motor from my Kitchen window .... never say never I say
smile.gif

Like you I don't think I will ever be able to replace him .... now that is another question to be asked on here .....

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr

[ QUOTE ]

My dream is to be able to see Motor from my Kitchen window .... never say never I say
smile.gif

Like you I don't think I will ever be able to replace him .... now that is another question to be asked on here .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep dreaming and one day it WILL happen... Tis a great feeling.
smile.gif

Three

Visit site
I'd change nothing.
smile.gif

We've been together 2o years and I've only been off twice - so far!
grin.gif

Merls is 34 now and we just hack but less energetically (nothing over 40 mins / an hour) as he tires much more easily. He's still up for a canter - in fact takes off at the drop of a hat!

He's taught me loads and been a friend. He's deaf now but still calls when he sees me.

My world will be a sadder, duller, emptier place when I have to say goodbye.
frown.gif
But hopefully not yet - I've promised theyard (and M) a 35th birthday party next June if he makes it!

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
I loved my first pony had the best fun ever on him, hopeless in traffic but got better. Used to ride to Bodiam castle for ice creams in the summer with friends lovely happy days. I would not change a thing about him. Mine is now 30 and has been in the the wonderful loan home for a while now, I visit him twice a year.

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd change nothing.
smile.gif

We've been together 2o years and I've only been off twice - so far!
grin.gif

Merls is 34 now and we just hack but less energetically (nothing over 40 mins / an hour) as he tires much more easily. He's still up for a canter - in fact takes off at the drop of a hat!

He's taught me loads and been a friend. He's deaf now but still calls when he sees me.

My world will be a sadder, duller, emptier place when I have to say goodbye.
frown.gif
But hopefully not yet - I've promised theyard (and M) a 35th birthday party next June if he makes it!

[/ QUOTE ]

How lovely that you actually still ride him
cool.gif
grin.gif
.... and I have never heard of a deaf horse before .... have you any pictures of him, as I would love to see one
grin.gif

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I loved my first pony had the best fun ever on him, hopeless in traffic but got better. Used to ride to Bodiam castle for ice creams in the summer with friends lovely happy days. I would not change a thing about him. Mine is now 30 and has been in the the wonderful loan home for a while now, I visit him twice a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still gobsmacked at the amount of HHOer's with golden oldies, still going strong, it is an inspiration
smile.gif
grin.gif

Three

Visit site
He's the grey in my sig - but that was taken 3 years ago.

He wasn't always deaf - it's old age I'm afraid but my vet says it's quite unusual.

This was him grazing with his best friend (a 9yo TB) last summer
17Aug20081-1.jpg

And waiting at the gate in the autumn
MerlinFreddie.jpg

He has no pairs of grinding molars left now so keeping weight on is a challenge but we're doing ok - so far. Touch wood!

Eaglestone

Visit site
He is lovely and looks so well for his age .... you obviously look after him so well
smile.gif

What do you feed him now he has no grinding molars left, as I am struggling a bit with Motor, as he is not allowed nice soft grass and the hay can be a bit of a burden .... I feed him 2 bucket feeds of Happy Hoof and High Fibre Nuts a day
crazy.gif
confused.gif

ETS ... the one of him in your sig, shows him as being a real live wire
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
Awww he looks lovely Three.
laugh.gif
There's something about the golden oldies...
smile.gif

Eaglestone, if you have a problem keeping weight on at any point, I resorted to "equijewel" by Kentucky Equine. It is expensive, but it did put weight on the old man when all else failed. (he put on weight very quickly initially because I ahh got the measurements wrong... lol)

Three

Visit site
Thank you!
grin.gif
He's a complete fool! Jogs and bounces when he feels like it and is a 'head up, take off' merchant. Age has (sadly in some respects) bought brakes though - but I still wouldnt trust him not to p off on flat grass given the option.
grin.gif

He has two huge feeds a day and, now he's in, a big bucket of Alfa-A oil and a second bucket of Ready Grass. Short fibres are easier for him but there's still big sucked lumps in his box some mornings. (eeeuw tmi sorry!)

He's fine when there's grass cos his front teeth are ok. But still has two feeds a day to make sure he gets enough vits & minerals etc.

hackedoff

Visit site
I doubt I would have bought him now as he was a green 5 year old and I had never ridden out of a riding school enviroment - not the ideal combination but he has taught me loads.

Made loads of mistakes with him such as doing endurance race rides which blew his mind for years. I still cant ride a dressage test on grass at anything less than warp speed and got bucked off when every one cantered at a VHS class this spring! He is fine on all weather surfaces though and loves indoor schools.

Still he took me from not being able to canter out on a school hack to 50 mile endurance rides, lots of wins and places showing at local level and we even have a 5th place dressage rossettes. I have learnt so much from my horse and hope to learn more. He is 20 next year and definetly feels his legs a bit if its cold and wet and he is kept in like now, but can also out trot most things still and is herd boss. He currently goes out with a glint in his eye due to a sexy little minx of a dartmoor pony mare!

I am aiming to do more dressage as my big regret is doing the long distance put him into the wrong frame for years and then I let my self get disheartened by others attitiudes to my horses ability to do dressage. I class myself as very, very lucky that touch wood he still happily does 3 hour plus hacks.

I just wish I had moved to where I am now with loads of of road hacking rather than where I used to be in Great Barr Birmingham where the on road hacking led to a car accident and loss of nerve for endurance with him.

Its great to read of others memories of their golden oldies and esp how long some of them are happily pottering on!

SpruceRI

Visit site

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a gate through to your back garden haven't you?? Give it a go, the moggies will have eyes on stalks at their new 'garden mate'
wink.gif
tongue.gif
smirk.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
Oh yes.... I have to admit, that my Shettie kicked Eaglestone (by mistake) on the knee during an exciting long reining race.... except, I'd forgotten the long rein for him, so we tied a couple of lead ropes together.....

.... I said he might buck as he gets very excited whizzing around..... and no sooner had I said that, then 'whack'..... eek, rein wasn't long enough....

....sorry Eaglestone
confused.gif

You still managed to win all the races, even on one lame leg !!!!
laugh.gif
I should've blind-folded you as well
wink.gif

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yes.... I have to admit, that my Shettie kicked Eaglestone (by mistake) on the knee during an exciting long reining race.... except, I'd forgotten the long rein for him, so we tied a couple of lead ropes together.....

.... I said he might buck as he gets very excited whizzing around..... and no sooner had I said that, then 'whack'..... eek, rein wasn't long enough....

....sorry Eaglestone
confused.gif

You still managed to win all the races, even on one lame leg !!!!
laugh.gif
I should've blind-folded you as well
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a lovey day out and many others and many more to come, I hope
grin.gif

.... and no need to be sorry, as I was warned
blush.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt I would have bought him now as he was a green 5 year old and I had never ridden out of a riding school enviroment - not the ideal combination but he has taught me loads.

Made loads of mistakes with him such as doing endurance race rides which blew his mind for years. I still cant ride a dressage test on grass at anything less than warp speed and got bucked off when every one cantered at a VHS class this spring! He is fine on all weather surfaces though and loves indoor schools.

Still he took me from not being able to canter out on a school hack to 50 mile endurance rides, lots of wins and places showing at local level and we even have a 5th place dressage rossettes. I have learnt so much from my horse and hope to learn more. He is 20 next year and definetly feels his legs a bit if its cold and wet and he is kept in like now, but can also out trot most things still and is herd boss. He currently goes out with a glint in his eye due to a sexy little minx of a dartmoor pony mare!

I am aiming to do more dressage as my big regret is doing the long distance put him into the wrong frame for years and then I let my self get disheartened by others attitiudes to my horses ability to do dressage. I class myself as very, very lucky that touch wood he still happily does 3 hour plus hacks.

I just wish I had moved to where I am now with loads of of road hacking rather than where I used to be in Great Barr Birmingham where the on road hacking led to a car accident and loss of nerve for endurance with him.

Its great to read of others memories of their golden oldies and esp how long some of them are happily pottering on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you have been through a lot
crazy.gif
..... good luck with the Stressage
blush.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

humblepie

Visit site
Not my first horse but had owned my old boy for 17 years before he was put to sleep last month. Wish I had known earlier in his career that he would have been so good at showing which was his later life job when he had to give up jumping. Wish also had known in those days about ear plugs as he never quite had the county show temperament but they may have helped. Like another poster wish I had kept him in the day he broke down in the field. Wish I could find a 5 year old equivalent.

Juniberry

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I'd had a foal from Star
frown.gif
It's a huge regret of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought mine as a 4 year old from the racehorse trainer about 6 weeks after her last race. I was a know it all 16 year old and she my totally unsuitable first pony. I wanted to be a show jumper she was fab at eventing then we got in to dressage and went to the nationals affiliated. Then when she was 16 I tried to breed from my baby girl; two goes no sucess.
Last year at the grand old age of 18 my girl went to Beaufort Embryo Transfer Centre, they inseminated and retrived an embryo. My mares foal is due in March
laugh.gif
I can't wait, she owes me nothing did PC camp, fun rides, eventing and dressage, she can be a cow, bites pulls faces likes to ditch me, but when you work with her and not against her she is unbeatable and I have been honnored to being owned by my mare and I hope to have another 10 plus years.