Those of you with short, stubby little ponies.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
What type/size etc of saddle do you use? Struggling to find something to fit the most short-coupled welshy on the planet! Well, OK, maybe that's not strictly true, but she is VERY short-coupled, and although the little safari cub I'm using right now is good for her, it's no good for lanky daughter.

So, erm, help? Pretty please
grin.gif

Bethxx

Tinypony

Visit site
I use a Freeform treeless saddle, the SB version (Short Back). It's designed for adults like you and I who ride stubbly little ponies! They are sold by Goldfinch saddles.
If you go treeless I would recommend you avoid the ones with hard blocks in the pommel and cantle, like Torsion, Cheyenne etc. This is because if it fits your adult posterior it is likely to be a bit long for your pony. Or if it's the right length for you pony your bum will probably push on the cantle - a nasty pressure area.

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
I have the same problem with Spooks, had the saddle fitter out last week for Fanta and asked her to bring some pony saddles, but even she said he was impossible to fit one too, has recomended the maxam pony but thinks even that will be a bit narrow
crazy.gif

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have the same problem with Spooks, had the saddle fitter out last week for Fanta and asked her to bring some pony saddles, but even she said he was impossible to fit one too, has recomended the maxam pony but thinks even that will be a bit narrow
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting as I was looking at the maxam as my next port of call, although may well investigate the treeless option too.
Bless little SWUO, she's very new to this ridden lark, so it needs to be a very positive experience for her in order for her to trust her rider.

Thanks hun x

rara007

Visit site
The thorogood(sp.) sythetic pony club ones, come up to XXW and shorter ones. We also have a super few posh ones, but all over a decade old, ut could investigates makes if it would help.For the shetties we used to have felt pads, and racing saddles(the TB ones)....

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Same with mine, I dont want his first experience of being ridden (esp with my great wieght on him) to hurt. I have a second hand maxam pony arriving soon hopefully that will fit

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly it....would hate to think that anything we did with her was going to hurt her in any way. Tried a saddle on her tonight and as soon as my daughter mounted Jelly's back came up ad she wasn't happy. 5 minutes on and ahe was very unhappy, so we put the little cub back on her and she was much happier.

Will you let me know how it goes with the maxam?

xx

sallypops

Visit site
poppy has an xxw saddle from stirlingshire saddlery, it's a native showing saddle or something fits her a dream. my friend has one in xxxw!!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Have you looked at these? I know it's ebay, but they're made for shires (I cant get them to come up on the shires website though). They have an adjustable gullet so if you choose a wide gullet it'll adjust up to an xx wide.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hi-Lite-Elite-Synt...VQQcmdZViewItem

If not, s. milner and sons saddlery make shetland saddles which obviously are made for very round ponies, they're like a cross between a saddle pad and a saddle, and pretty popular in the showing world. Other than that I havent a clue. The Maxam saddles do come up pretty wide, but the smallest they do is a 15", which i found was a tight fit (length wise) on a 12hh pony.

Tia

Visit site
I had a beautiful one made for Cloud when we lived in England and it fitted her and daughter perfectly for many years, however when we all came over here, daughter grew out of the saddle unfortunately so we searched for another. There aren't many English Master Saddlers over here LOL! so I ended up going for a GP saddle made by The Australian Stock Saddle Co. It isn't an Australian Stock saddle though, just a regular GP and it fits Cloud like a glove.

Tia

Visit site
Megs handmade one back in England was 14". The Aussie one is 17". I'm sure they have a website though so might be worth running a search. They are quite nice saddles, not as nice leather as English leather though, but pretty hard wearing.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
17 inch would drown the shetland! lol. 14 inch would be pushing it, but 13 inch too small for the rider.

I don't care what it's made of, so long as it fits and doesnt require a morgage to pay for it.

Tia

Visit site
Oh no this one wasn't expensive at all. I think I only paid 300 bucks for it a couple of years ago.

I'm trying to find a site for you but all the sites I've looked on are only offering Stock saddles - one has a GP but it is bogging!!

Mooch

photobucket.com
I got a Maxam XXW for the kids first pony - Mini the Mooch.

It was the one that you got the Fish bits with, so if they changed shape through the seasons you could alter it.

However, Mini never changed shape at all.

It was a lovely saddle and it fitted her a treat.

She was a Welsh X something and 12.2hh if that's any help.

And, she looked like this......

Mini.jpg

Honeypots

Visit site
Katy: Jasmine is 11.2hh and takes a 4'6" rug and her Maxam was a 16". It fit her no probs...I've even had it on my mini shettie who takes a 3'9" rug!!