Those of you with stables with two doors…

spotty_pony2

Visit site
How do you do your beds? I know not overly common but there must be some others on here with two doors as I’ve had a stable in the past with two.

Long story short, we are putting doors in the back of our stables as we have had a separate drive put in for the stables and it will be easier for mucking out and turning out. The front doors will still be used occasionally so don’t really want lots of bedding round the doorways but floor is concrete and I also don’t want bare floor and them slipping if they go from one window to the other. The new doors will be shut at the top in bad weather as there is no overhang on that side of the stable. At the moment, I’ve just cleared by bed ready for the door to go in this afternoon… am planning on putting a rectangle of rubber matting in the new doorway - the front of the stable currently already has rubber matting down, it’s just the middle bit where the bed is that has no rubber underneath so I’m thinking I’ll leave bedding down and just have two rectangles for the door. 🤔 what does everyone else have their stables like? traditional 1/2 -3/4 bed and hay and water at the front or something else?

Timelyattraction

Visit site
How do you do your beds? I know not overly common but there must be some others on here with two doors as I’ve had a stable in the past with two.

Long story short, we are putting doors in the back of our stables as we have had a separate drive put in for the stables and it will be easier for mucking out and turning out. The front doors will still be used occasionally so don’t really want lots of bedding round the doorways but floor is concrete and I also don’t want bare floor and them slipping if they go from one window to the other. The new doors will be shut at the top in bad weather as there is no overhang on that side of the stable. At the moment, I’ve just cleared by bed ready for the door to go in this afternoon… am planning on putting a rectangle of rubber matting in the new doorway - the front of the stable currently already has rubber matting down, it’s just the middle bit where the bed is that has no rubber underneath so I’m thinking I’ll leave bedding down and just have two rectangles for the door. 🤔 what does everyone else have their stables like? traditional 1/2 -3/4 bed and hay and water at the front or something else?
I have fully matted and half bed (at the back to middle) but if stable doors are both the same side would it be possible to have the bed 1/2 size but instead of starting at the back and pulling to the front start at the side wall away from the doors and pull towards the middle where the door edge starts if that makes sense?

paddy555

Visit site
all of mine have 2 doors and some stables open into each other. They are all fieldguard rubber matted (they have the correct drainage installed) and a very small amount of shavings that is part of the fieldguard system. The doors open easily either way over the mats and the horses have comfy beds. Hay bin is pegged against the wall in a corner.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Mine have top door in the back and grills at each side.

In terms of a bed it's a nightmare, they poo and wee whichever way they're standing and move about mixing it all in. I bed the whole lot and use aubiose so I can sieve it all.

I could move to standard stables but I do like them to move around so I put up with it

Michen

Visit site
We have this with runs at the back. I have banks at the side (they are pointless anyway and more for storing fresh bed to drag down throughout the week). Inevitably bedding spills out in the run.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I’ve popped a rubber mat at the new door, and left the bedding down inbetween the doors. I’ll probably make this bit of bedding thinner in time so if he kicks his poo around I can just remove it and replace it with fresh. He couldn’t believe his eyes when he came in tonight and he has a new window. That will keep him busy 🤣 just got to get a catch so I can pin the top door back so can’t leave it open unattended yet but he enjoyed having a look out this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_8766.jpeg
    IMG_8766.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8768.jpeg
    IMG_8768.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8762.jpeg
    IMG_8762.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: