those of you with TB's

severnmiles

Visit site
Ernie is a thin skinned wimp of a horse! Who hates hacking in rain let alone spending the night naked in the rain!

He's in during the day with a fleece on in the stable, we have had a few really chilly days (nearly a frost early this morning) so he was in a lightweight stable rug. He's out at night(at the mo) and is in a light(but not really light, light-middle weight I'd say) turnout rug.

They say its two overcoats colder in Wales though! Essex and Kent were very warm last weekend in comparison.

Patchwork

Visit site
Yep - out in lightweight turnout overnight, in wearing a sheet or fleece during the day.

smile.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
Mine has had a fleece on at night for about a month now. No rugs during the day unless it is really raining & cold then MW turnout but he has only had that on twice. Probably going upto a light stable rug soon but we are moving to a nice brick stabble so he might find that warmer

serena2005

Visit site
ours are still out at night and in during the day, naked 24/7. this is the first winter iv kept a TB and now hes losing his grass belly hes starting to look a big thin, and was debating putting a light turnout rug on. Im at an exracing yard when they have racers in the field 24/7 and they havent put rugs on yet, didnt know what was best....

go by when the race horses get their coats on or just go for it and rug up...

GTs

Visit site
NEVER - last year I moved a horse from the desert at 46C as a high, to CO that had a low of -22C - never saw her shiver.

eekmon

Visit site
Just put a summer sheet on my old boy, he looked a little tucked up and starey coated yesterday, not a fan of rugs early, usually but he is 29 and half tb ( do I count? )
blush.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
Mine is half tb, on box rest and generally a wimp. Last year I had to start ruggin in August!
As he is in at night, he has a lightish stable rug on and his coat has gone from being 'fluffy' and starey and horrible to sleek again. Plus he looks happier. He is naked during the day, as I don't feel it's really cold!
When he is out, he will be out w/out rug at day and in w/ rug at night.
He wil in a couple of weeks get a light turnout on during the day and we'll go from there!

serena2005

Visit site
thats why im not sure, i dont think hes cold, but he has a very fine coat, and hes not been particularly well with weight, and every one i know with TB's are saying theirs are all dropping weight at the mo

sarahrees

www.myspace.com
perrys been having her summer lightweight on the last few days because its been wet. but she is 18 and doest like being in but doest like the rain (cant win lol)

She seems happy at the mo with her lightweight on at the moment

Shrimp

Visit site
Mines a wuss too. If the weather is like it was today, then he has his fly sheet on at the moment or if its raining, his lightweight turnout. He has a cotton sheet on over night.

so03

Visit site
My TB is 28 years old. Still out 24/7 with no rug on. First year without seeing her ribs too. But we are in the south, it has been mild, with little rain and we have loads of trees for shelter.

She's very happy at the moment.

eekmon

Visit site
Yeah well mine has no coat either, but its been soooo hot here in the South over the last few months, but has been v Autumnnal over the last few days and he is quite old, but I have never been one to rug early! Have given in in this year though !
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My TB is 28 years old. Still out 24/7 with no rug on. First year without seeing her ribs too. But we are in the south, it has been mild, with little rain and we have loads of trees for shelter.

She's very happy at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our old boy is 26 ex racer and he's out 24/7 naked as is the TB broodmare, so it really depends on each individual horse and not the breed as such.

See you're from Maidstone..I was down there last weekend...Sunday was like our June!! Very warm ,we sat outside to eat Sunday lunch, I was quite amazed!

Ginn

Visit site
Mine had her l/w put on yesterday but a lot will depend on the weather - if the sun comes out and it warms up it'll be off again!

4whitesocks

Visit site
my boy is half TB but has never been rugged up to today was out 24/7......we'll see how we go (mad thing was how many rugs I managed to collect up from my old yard - had been thinking would have to go out and buy new ones for him but discovered I have two turnout's that fit him, a stable rug, lightweight sheet and a cooler......bearing in mind my last two horses were different sizes please don't ask how many other rugs I have ended up with!!)

classiclady

Visit site
My Mare is anglo arab still living out as she would create merry hell if she was the only one in but if we have a heavy shower she would get cold and start to shiver so I have a light weight turn out on her.
When she does come in she will have a six oz stable rug on till the temp starts to drop.

serena2005

Visit site
thanks everone for your comments, iv come to the decision i will start with a light weight turnout for now, he has dropped a bit off weight and has gone up a hole on his girth, so i dont want him to start feeling the winds we have been having.

sevenoceans

Visit site
My TB lives out 24/7 all summer and still is. just started to put light weight turnout when it's raining but otherwise naked. He's not very good at keepng weight on but had 1 meal a day since he lived out and good grazing, he had thrived well. He'll be coming in soon cos of Blxdy mud fever.

RobinHood

Visit site
I have an extremely wussy 16yr old tb but he's still out nakes, well actually he's wearing his rambo sweetitch hoody which must keep the wind off a bit. My winter tactics involve getting him fat in september, and so far we're on track.

Twiglet

Visit site
In at night, out during the day, will be naked 24/7 until the temp drops or the rain sets in a bit. If I start rugging now, I'll have run out of warmer options by November!

Parkranger

Visit site
Not yet! He's getting a slightly thicker coat but now looks like the other horses in the summer.....probably clip him at the end of September/beginning of October then start rugging up....

Seems a bit crazy to be rugging up horses near London - it's just too hot at the moment!