Those of you without a wash box/proper washing facilities?

Visit site
How do you cope getting ready for Hunting and washing down afterwards? :eek: Don't mean to sound stuck up - but I've always kept my horse at a yard with a wash box and shower facilities since we have started Hunting four years ago but a move is on the horizon - beautiful yard, but only has a cold water hose pipe. Do you completely wash your horses off after Hunting with 1000s of buckets of hot water, or do you just wash the sweaty bits and then brush off all mud once dry? I'm intrigued! :)

icemaiden113

Visit site
I wash mine before and after with a hose pipe and never wash down in hot water. That opens the pores in the skin for mud fever. The ones that live out are just wet brushed where the saddle went and then a good brush before they go out.

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
seconding no hot water because it opens up the pores which not only can cause mud fever but allows all sorts of nasties in.

for me i thoroughly and quickly hose legs and under belly (basically the really muddy bits) i will sometimes use warm water if they have got particularly sweaty around the bridle area or saddle patch. thorough sweat-scrape (use the hard back of the scraper not the rubbery bit on saddle-patch, rubbery bit is for legs)get legs as dry as possible with a towel/wisp particularly if i am bandaging, sweat rug goes on (sometimes i thatch her as if it has been a particularly wet day) and then she goes in to her stable.this usually takes me 20 mins.

once completely dried , stable rugs go on and i bandage her up done! rest of mud splatters can be brushed off the day after when dry :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I take a 25 litre container in the box with me - filled with piping hot water from the kitchen tap, wrapped up in a couple of towels & a rug.
By the end of the day it is lukewarm & great to use for rinsing off clipped areas, dunking tail & then throwing over any really disgusting tack.

Rest is left to dry & gets brushed off later.

L&M

Visit site
I have no hot water on the yard, but can bucket it over from the house.

As mine is grey I (but fortunately not a mud monster!!!), I wash his legs and tail in the morning prior to hunting. I use warm water as he won't tolerate being washed with cold.

After hunting I do not wash his legs - after a check over for any cuts etc I then stable him on deep straw overnight, and brush off any remaining mud in the morning.

Kick On

Visit site
I wash down with hose pipe and sponge (with hibbysrcub). It depends on how much mud and how cold to whether I do full bath (but rug up asap). Also I have kettle with warm water for face and food (if needed). Always bandage up legs (dried), then thermthax rug and stable rugs added (depending on temp) with necks. Good deep bed with proper banks............. plus I do not go home until horse has settled, warm and munching well into haynet.

JenHunt

Visit site
i do legs and belly with cold hosepipe, and then use 2 buckets of warm water to sponge bath the body and face... i use vetrolin liniment to wash the body with because it doesn't need rinising and is antibacterial.

wench

Visit site
Bucket of hot water from the kettle to do the sweaty bits, scraper it of, then leave muddy legs etc until dry (as I don't clip legs!)

MissTyc

Visit site
Cold hose for my horses as well & then fleeces on top to dry them off ... and keep them clipped ;)

I've never had washing facilities so have never known any different ... and mine are all coloureds with majority white and they do sparkles in the field!

ahml100

Visit site
Mine is cold hosed on legs and belly then sponged everywhere else. I just make sure he has the correct rugs in to keep him warm but also help to dry...thank you waffle rug and thermatex! what I have also done now I can do it is plait the tail up properly. Makes life a lot easier with hosing legs off and means tail is not covered in mud. However, where my father hunter is kept the YO has warm water in containers waiting for when he gets back.