Those that have built their own internal stables

dill

Visit site
I've got a spare barn with room for about 18 12x12 boxes. On average how much did it cost you in metal and boarding to build your own boxes?. OH is certified welder/fabricator so 'labour cost' is irrespective. Monarch/Loddon boxes are way outside the budget!

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've got a spare barn with room for about 18 12x12 boxes. On average how much did it cost you in metal and boarding to build your own boxes?. OH is certified welder/fabricator so 'labour cost' is irrespective. Monarch/Loddon boxes are way outside the budget!

[/ QUOTE ]

we have Hancox stabling (cheaper than loddon etc) but exactly the same !!!

I think they would cost about 20k though !!

fairhill

Visit site
My livery yard has internal stables made from breeze blocks, with grilles in between the stables and half doors, which might be a cheaper option for you?

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
At the moment my horses are in an internal barn and the owners got a carpenter to make the fronts out of strong chipboard with stable doors and a half partition seperating each stable. On top of that are grilles which go up to about 7 ft so that the horses can see right into all the other stables and they love it.

rara007

Visit site
Our stables are in a much smaller old barn than yours. We only had 4, and they are slightly different sizes, from about 8X12 to 12X12.
Bobbie.jpg

Made from wood, they have proved to be stong enough and have held up a few beatings from WB's. I'm not sure how much it cost, but it was just the cost of timber really.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've built a few! Some I did myself - but just with timber (welding is beyond me!)

You can see 'bits' in the pic below. For two boxes - one 15'x15' and one 10'6 x 15' the total timber cost was about £220 - about 5 years ago.

home-r15.jpg

The framework is 3" x 4" and 2"x4". Partitions were clad with three-quarter inch thick plywood on both sides. When I added another two, I used 1" x 8" boards. The doors were made using some left-over kick boards from the manege - about 1.5" x 8" - they're very strong and have worked well.

For the other level of the barn I got some partitions from West of England Stables - used metal channel with recycled hardwood. They are VERY strong - I've got one sod who kicks walls for fun - he punched right through the kickboards and outer boards of normal timber stables - but he can't dent these (though he tries!)

They come in bits - unpainted, painted or galvanised.

This shows the construction method (a bit)

barn-4.jpg

And this shows closer to finished!

barn-5.jpg

They were about half the price of the big name people - and MUCH stronger!