Those that have gone from lorries to towing...

Michen

Visit site
How have you found it? I REALLY need to sell my impractical car (merc slk) as I now have a dog, and my 3.5 tonne horsebox is not getting anywhere near the use it should to earn its keep given one horse is off games for at least a year and the other is a baby so outings will be minimal. It's silly to have it sitting there. I keep going round in circles knowing I need to sell it really but never bringing myself to do it.

I have my license and used to tow my previous horse with a tiguan and ifor williams. Absolutely rock steady, never had any issues, never worried about towrg though I was careful about what winds I'd go out in. My young horse has been in a trailer and my older horse has once (and travelled fine), but with another horse. I have no doubt he will be fine in a trailer as he's a great traveller now.

I am absolutely terrified about the idea of towing again though!! I have no idea why, I get a stomach flip thinking about my precious precious cargo in a steel box behind my car. I am not a nervous driver whatsoever so not sure if I just need to get used to it again and am being a bit pathetic.

Those who went to or back to trailers did you adapt ok and get used to it? Or end up back to a lorry? My lorry is a rare as hens teeth older reliable 3.5 tonne so would be very hard to replace if I wanted to swap back.

AandK

Visit site
I have switched between since passing my test in 2010, prior to that had a little lorry for 5.5yrs. Had a trailer for 5yrs, then switched back to a lorry in 2015 then sold that and went back to a trailer in 2018 after not using the box enough as horse got older and then lost an eye, horse is now retired and have another who is happy in the trailer, may go back to a lorry in the next year or two. Never had an issue switching between the two to be honest, was just like getting back on a bike.

Michen

Visit site
I have switched between since passing my test in 2010, prior to that had a little lorry for 5.5yrs. Had a trailer for 5yrs, then switched back to a lorry in 2015 then sold that and went back to a trailer in 2018 after not using the box enough as horse got older and then lost an eye, horse is now retired and have another who is happy in the trailer, may go back to a lorry in the next year or two. Never had an issue switching between the two to be honest, was just like getting back on a bike.

Thanks thats good to hear. What do you tow with? Never had any issues with trailer etc?

HeyMich

Visit site
Before I bought my trailer (2 years ago) I went for a lesson with a local trailer driving chap. I didn't need to, as didn't need the test, but the lesson just reminded me of some of the towing essentials and gave me confidence that I could reverse and turn around if I had to! It was worth every penny. I've had the trailer out and about most weeks since the lesson with a whole variety of ponies and horses in, and I don't even think about the tricky bits now, it's just second nature.

AandK

Visit site
No issues with trailer, both times have had a Bateson Ascot (different ones of course!). Have towed with a Disco 3 and Jeep Cherokee in the past, now have an older Kia Sorento, not quite as gutsy as the other two but has enough for me and my one horse (can tow up to 2.8t so could take two if needed).

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Ive gone from a 3.5t lorry (new style) to a trailer due to the lorry breaking.

Have a very, very large cost to fix it again...but it will be and the tow car and trailer sold as soon as it is.

Im not an experienced tower (this is the first time), but leaving aside how much I dislike it is it such a pain in comparison.

Lorry. Pack. Get keys. Drive.

Trailer. Find many sets of keys. Fight with hitchlock. Fight with people having parked in ways to make it awkward to get out. Deal with stuff jumbled all over the car boot which you havent dare leave in the car on full view overnight. Find the stuff (1st aid kit etc) that used to just live in the lorry...you get the idea.

I reckon it takes me 25 mins longer to get sorted out for going out in the trailer at least and I panic more about forgetting stuff.

This is just how I feel about it! Please give me a lotto win. :)

Wheels

Visit site
Shes only a small dog isn't she? Why not keep your 3.5t and change your car for something a little more practical but still good fun?

I went from a 7.5t to a trailer and I do miss the living. I wanted to change to a 5.5t to 6.5t but really good ones are too expensive so I'm upgrading my tow car instead to something quick and fun that can also tow.

I am not sure the benefits of a 3.5t over a trailer if I'm honest as not much extra room. I am just as happy towing as I am driving a van or lorry though so if towing is concerning you then why not drive a friends set up or have a lesson before you make any decisions?

Michen

Visit site
Shes only a small dog isn't she? Why not keep your 3.5t and change your car for something a little more practical but still good fun?

I went from a 7.5t to a trailer and I do miss the living. I wanted to change to a 5.5t to 6.5t but really good ones are too expensive so I'm upgrading my tow car instead to something quick and fun that can also tow.

I am not sure the benefits of a 3.5t over a trailer if I'm honest as not much extra room. I am just as happy towing as I am driving a van or lorry though so if towing is concerning you then why not drive a friends set up or have a lesson before you make any decisions?

It's just if I'm going to change my car it definitely makes sense to swap to a car that can tow I think. If I go for a hatchback or estate it'll just be a bit dull but also not as useful!

I feel like the 3.5 tonne is safer, but I never worried about safety with my trailer before... I think I'm being a bit ridiculous!

Michen

Visit site
Ive gone from a 3.5t lorry (new style) to a trailer due to the lorry breaking.

Have a very, very large cost to fix it again...but it will be and the tow car and trailer sold as soon as it is.

Im not an experienced tower (this is the first time), but leaving aside how much I dislike it is it such a pain in comparison.

Lorry. Pack. Get keys. Drive.

Trailer. Find many sets of keys. Fight with hitchlock. Fight with people having parked in ways to make it awkward to get out. Deal with stuff jumbled all over the car boot which you havent dare leave in the car on full view overnight. Find the stuff (1st aid kit etc) that used to just live in the lorry...you get the idea.

I reckon it takes me 25 mins longer to get sorted out for going out in the trailer at least and I panic more about forgetting stuff.

This is just how I feel about it! Please give me a lotto win. :)

I'm super disorganised so lorry a godsend for hunting as I'm always late. But I can make myself be more organised and in reality putting tack in the boot of the car isn't any more hassle than doing so in the lorry. It's nice to keep stuff in the lorry but again, no reason I couldn't have a horsey box in the boot of my car or whatnot.

Hmmm.

ihatework

Visit site
I sold my 7.5T PRB when I stopped competing and went to a trailer.

It makes sense. So much cheaper if you aren’t needing to regularly travel miles and stay over with horses. It’s the sensible decision for sure, especially as I’m a confident tower.

But it is a faff, I do miss everything about having a lorry, apart from the running costs.

To be honest, as soon as the 4yo is installed at big boy boarding school, the 4x4 and trailer will be up for sale. If I need to transport I’ll hire a 3.5T.

Wheels

Visit site
It's just if I'm going to change my car it definitely makes sense to swap to a car that can tow I think. If I go for a hatchback or estate it'll just be a bit dull but also not as useful!

I feel like the 3.5 tonne is safer, but I never worried about safety with my trailer before... I think I'm being a bit ridiculous!

Lol not ridiculous at all

But hatchbacks can be very fun and not at all dull. OH has a golf GTI and I have an audi S3 and they are pocket rockets! As are all the audi in the S range or RS range :)

buddylove

Visit site
I did the same, sold my 3.5t as wasn't using it enough, took my test and now tow a Bateson Deauville with a twin cab pick up (OH's truck so didn't need to change my car). Don't mind the towing at all, it's a long old unit though, and whilst I can manoeuvre it ok, I always have to concentrate!!
But out much more now the kids are at PC, they both travel and load well, the only issue is going to be when my Highland is backed and we all want to go out together...... 7.5t test next then!!!

BallyJ

Visit site
In the defence of hatchbacks, we've just got a BMW M140i and it is alot of fun, with a Merc A Class - AMG another one that is nice to drive but plenty of space in both boots for a Lab and a JRT.

Michen

Visit site
Lol not ridiculous at all

But hatchbacks can be very fun and not at all dull. OH has a golf GTI and I have an audi S3 and they are pocket rockets! As are all the audi in the S range or RS range :)

True. I just sort of think it I’m not going to have my convertible two seater, practical is the next step. I don’t really want to change the car just for the dog as that‘s workable, but if I change it for dog and horses then there’s a whole stack of pro reasons rather than just a couple!

it makes sense in my head!

Wheels

Visit site
True. I just sort of think it I’m not going to have my convertible two seater, practical is the next step. I don’t really want to change the car just for the dog as that‘s workable, but if I change it for dog and horses then there’s a whole stack of pro reasons rather than just a couple!

it makes sense in my head!

understandable and I'll look forward to the future 'what tow car' thread :p

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I went from trailer to lorry as a teen/young 20s, then had a break and when I got the next horse (with first house and job) I had a trailer with a borrowed car. It worked OK, but when I started to do more/had more money I went back to a lorry as it saves so much time.

I seem to be on the way back down though, started with. 7.5 tonne, then a 12 tonne, then back to 7.5 and now have a 3.95 tonne. The little van/box is the quickest and most convenient, but I do miss the cooker/heating/bed!

HeyMich

Visit site
I'm super disorganised so lorry a godsend for hunting as I'm always late. But I can make myself be more organised and in reality putting tack in the boot of the car isn't any more hassle than doing so in the lorry. It's nice to keep stuff in the lorry but again, no reason I couldn't have a horsey box in the boot of my car or whatnot.

Or get a trailer with a track room? I have the EquiTrek Space trekka and the wee tack room is an absolute god send. There's stuff in there that stays all the time, like first aid, spare bits and bobs, grooming kit, bucket, water container, steps etc, and then I just load tack up for whichever horses/ponies we are taking out. I absolutely love the set up!

TPO

Visit site
I put my 3.5t up for sale last year after its MOT and I had literally hundreds of timewasters messaging and tens of timewasters viewing. I was so fed up I decided to keep it and run it on just so I didnt have to deal with eejits.

Its barely moved so I got it MOT (even although it had an extension to January because of COVID) and bravely advertised it. Yet again bombarded with messages and a lot of really cheeky offers to drive it away.

Getting to my point, I was contacted by Warwickshire Horseboxes who bought it on the spot (I'm in scotland). They collected 2 days later and it was so much easier than having to deal with tyre kickers and downright rude people.

So my actual point is if you are considering selling your lorry and you cant face dealing with time wasting eejits then it's worth contacting a dealer for an easy transaction.

spacefaer

Visit site
I've had various permutations of trailers and lorries over the years.
During my dressage phase, I had a 7.5t and a 2 seater sports car.

Now we are predominantly hunting, we have a Hilux and trailer. Works very well for local and long distance hunting - it's much easier for parking and avoids trashing the lorry in narrow lanes.
My lorry was costing me a grand every year in plating alone. We have a pick up each anyway so sticking the trailer on the back is a no brainer

My hilux is a mk4 - the one Clarkson couldn't kill - and fine for local driving. My OH's is a high spec leather seated luxurious one which is perfect for his long distance work and tows like there aren't 2 RIDs behind

I hitch up at least once, usually twice, sometimes more, every week and it starts to feel odd without a trailer behind after a bit!

Bradsmum

Visit site
I'm in the same predicament, can't really justify the upkeep and running of my 3.5t but my worry with trailer/towing is that I live in an area of single track lanes and the thought of continually having to reverse to get to a passing place is not very appealing. Not a problem with the box and I'm sure I would get used to it with a trailer.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I have a Older 5.2 ton that i don’t take out enough to really justify but I didn’t want to get a gas guzzler 4x4 as my main car as I did 12k miles a year, huge road tax etc. I could hire but love the freedom of deciding to go for last minute hacks or to clinics. Also went away for week end at least once a year so hire costs would have been comparable to yearly run costs of the lorry. My car is an Audi TT mark 3 which is surprising practical with large boot and low running costs on the diesel. For me I like the ease of having a lorry, it’s really easy to drive also when driving last weekend in the wind was mighty glad wasn’t pulling a trailer

Eta I’m lucky that am able to afford to run the lorry, I bought outright with bumper bonus I got one year from work. I couldn’t make figures stack up any less for 2nd car & trailer or hire lorry.

Evie91

Visit site
I don’t have either but from a safety perspective prefer a horse to travel in a lorry. Just feels much safer and more secure- bit higher up in case of accidents (thinking more 7.5 as lots 3.5 can be quite low to the ground), I assume better ride for the horse as more stable (obviously I don’t know this, just an assumption) And wonder whether horses have more road vibration from trailer - again assumption, jut looks a more bumpy ride.
Also after hearing the story of a horrific accident with trailer- speeding driver crashed into her, Detaching trailer from the car, sending trailer careering up a bank, with two huge horses inside- both suffered significant injuries but survived, thankfully. The whole detaching, snaking thing worries me.
I also like the fact you can store all essentials in a lorry - but like I say I don’t have either and until I win the lottery I won’t!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do both but mainly tow in the winter as it much more convenient than the trick for hunting .
When I start towing again after a while I am always a bit apprehensive But it wears off after a few trips .
In your situation I think you work from home don’t you so day to day fuel consumption is not a consideration and you have the Pup .I think I would sell the wagon and get a trailer and a towing car .
You can also go back to a lorry in the future .
I don’t use my lorry enough to justify it now , mine is out twice a week but short trips I really should sell it .

springer-tb

Visit site
I used to have a 3.5 ton and for various reasons it wasn't going to be used for nearly 2 years. Like you I was loathe to sell because I knew I would definitely need it again and it was a great box. So, I put it on 'loan' to a friend with a very tight contract drawn up by a lawyer and she used it and maintained it while I didn't need it.
A weird, slightly mad solution with potential to go wrong? Yes. But it worked perfectly for me so perhaps it's something to consider.

P.S. yes, the lawyer did think we were a bit odd!

texenstar

Visit site
I went from a 3.5t horsebox to towing a single ifor trailer with a Toyota Rav 4. I Will never switch back as the horses prefer the trailer, travel better, and it feels much more secure to drive. I also find it easier to drive than the horsebox. Reversing is more difficult but on the whole I manage fine!
I am also happy that I am no longer paying for an extra vehicle that spends a lot of its time sat at the yard :)

Of course, it is not use if I want to transport two horses but then again most 3.5t boxes can't take 2 anyway!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks guys. Am looking at an older Q5 potentially (2010) or a Mitsubishi Outlander. I did Love my Tiguan but really don’t like their appearance to be honest!

I’d actually really like a disco, but need to put that on hold until next year financially. Probably looking to spend about 8/9k on a “in between” car for the next 12 months or so.

Going to get the car sold first before lorry, as may need it for ferrying bog around to vets in next month or so.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I'm currently trying to go from trailer to lorry (anyone want to buy a Bateson? :D ) so I think you're mad!

I’d actually really like a disco, but need to put that on hold until next year financially. Probably looking to spend about 8/9k on a “in between” car for the next 12 months or so.

Some of the new Discos have crap towing limits - down to 1800kg is some cases - so if you're going to be taking two horses watch out for that.

Michen

Visit site
I'm currently trying to go from trailer to lorry (anyone want to buy a Bateson? :D ) so I think you're mad!

Some of the new Discos have crap towing limits - down to 1800kg is some cases - so if you're going to be taking two horses watch out for that.

Hehe I love my lorry I really do. It’s been brilliant. But I need to release some money as well for Bog,changing my car makes sense and it all just kinda makes sense to swap. If only I didn’t have my trailer license that would make it easier! Not because I have to but because it’ll just make me feel a bit less twitchy financially.

Yes I think the one I was looking was 2200kg, which would be fine for the very odd occasion I may take another horse of the same size (450kg).

Michen

Visit site
Although currently in the merc garage to get an issue with an airbag fixed before I put it up for sale and feel like I NEED the new SLC ??.

Ah well, it was fun whilst it lasted, but not exactly practical for a country girl living in the middle of no where with a bunch of animals!