THOSE TOWING WITH KIA SORENTO AUTO

kezimac

Visit site
thinking of either getting a rear facing lorry (AUTO) - near impossible!!!! OR
an equitrek with a Kia sorento Auto

What realistic mileage per gallon do you get from a diesel auto kia sorento on a day to day basis and does anyone know how much to tax etc.

currently have freelander and single ifor but really want her to travel backwards as KS and also want a bit more space in trailer/horsebox for tack. somewhere to just sit and put boots on instead of dressing on car park when we go places!!!!!!

thanks alot

Jingleballs

Visit site
I think from memory my tax is about £250 a year.

The mileage isn't great - I get about 100 miles if I put £30 in. Luckily I use the train to get in to work so I don't do too much driving - I'm probably about £30 - £40 a week in fuel doing 100 to 120 miles per week.

palomino_pony

Visit site
If your thinking of the equi trek like Linda's you need towing vehicle 3.5 tonnes. That rules out a sorrento (sorry). I was looking at those when I got my defender. That's my understanding of it anyway.

kezimac

Visit site
yeah manual tows 3000kg and auto 3500kg.

just depends on cost really of mpg and how much i could get a horsebox for - if horsebox route would get a little runaround car as well so all down to money!!!!!

ROG

Visit site
If your thinking of the equi trek like Linda's you need towing vehicle 3.5 tonnes. That rules out a sorrenti
http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kia.htm#sorento05
towing capacity of between 2500 and 3500 depending on model

As long as the equitrek when loaded does not exceed the towing capacity then all is legal

Lets say the trailer is unladen 1000 and has a plated MAM of 3500 and the sorento has a towing capacity of 2500 ......
As long as no more than 1500 is loaded onto the trailer then its legal

CAVEAT - for a B+E licence - not a B licence

kezimac

Visit site
http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/kia.htm#sorento05
towing capacity of between 2500 and 3500 depending on model

As long as the equitrek when loaded does not exceed the towing capacity then all is legal

Lets say the trailer is unladen 1000 and has a plated MAM of 3500 and the sorento has a towing capacity of 2500 ......
As long as no more than 1500 is loaded onto the trailer then its legal

CAVEAT - for a B+E licence - not a B licence

cheers - yes I am old enough to have to not take my test!!!! - it would be for one horse only so she weights about 600kg so with tack and hay/water should be well within.

I am confused though - I was under the impression that if your trailer states 2340kg (ifor 505) your car must be able to tow that - even to tow it empty?????
So i could get a car that tows 2500kg and as long as I dont go over that weight on trailer I am legal??? - now completely and utterly confused!

kezimac

Visit site
so...... if the gross weight of trailer is 2600kg (space trekka M) and the unladen weight is 1100kg - I can carry 1500kg payload, if the car can tow 2500kg then as long as i dont carry more than 1400kg I am legal???
also whats this about Train weight ? I really should know more about this as i tow currently but its not in plain english and I know am legal with a single and a freelander so havent looked into it more

scarymare

Visit site
I've got a 57 plate manual and the mpg is rubbish - about 30 if I'm lucky (not towing). I do commute over back roads though which doesn't help.

ROG

Visit site
so...... if the gross weight of trailer is 2600kg (space trekka M) and the unladen weight is 1100kg - I can carry 1500kg payload, if the car can tow 2500kg then as long as i dont carry more than 1400kg I am legal???
YES - you got it :D

also whats this about Train weight ? I really should know more about this as i tow currently but its not in plain english and I know am legal with a single and a freelander so havent looked into it more
GTW or Gross train Weight is the maximum ACTUAL weight the combination can be when put on a weighbridge

The GTW is not, as many wrongly believe, to be the vehicle GVW plus the trailer MAM added together

ROG

Visit site
I am confused though - I was under the impression that if your trailer states 2340kg (ifor 505) your car must be able to tow that - even to tow it empty?????
So i could get a car that tows 2500kg and as long as I dont go over that weight on trailer I am legal??? - now completely and utterly confused!
You are confused because a few numpties on the internet spread a MYTH which said that the trailer MAM cannot be more than the vehicles towing capacity

There is nothing in law (or anywhere else official) which states that the MAM of a trailer cannot be more than the vehicle towing capacity