Those who have freezemarks...

suzysparkle

Visit site
It's not for the driving Horses in my pic, but good point!! I used to work for a Horse drawn funeral company but no more. I just do RC and unaffiliated stuff so it showing wouldn't be an issue. Thanks!!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Shoulder on both, visable when hacking and riding. A few days off that’s all, no problems at all.
grin.gif

quirky

Visit site
Under saddle and she had 3/4 days off but could be lunged during that time.
I was discouraged from having it on the shoulder .... not really sure why!

Angua2

Visit site
back both times. I do dressage and I found that when I wathced horses with the mark on the shoulder I was drawn to that and it was a struggle to focus on the whole picture and not just the freezemark

Ezme

Visit site
I didn't particularly mean from a driving perspective but just a general visibility thing. Saying that you don't see them on the neck much anymore! I get the dressage POV, like a horse with only one or two socks, distracts you no matter how impartial you try to be!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I had mine done on the shoulder due to being stopped by undesirables (we have a camp not far from us) asking to buy Bodey, they followed me up the road. My thinking was that having it done on the shoulder meant it was obvious when I was out riding and therefore more of a deterrent.

megwan1

Visit site
its under the saddle on fliss although it was done before i got her so wasnt my chioce, depends on what ur doing i think because if i was big into showin i'd probs go for under saddle but tbh i dont think it matter either way other than shoulder is still visible when ridden
smile.gif

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
One has it on shoulder, the other on his back on a convenient marking! The skewbald needs his clipped in winter as it merges into his dun colouring a bit, and I do think that it must feel strange to him having a clipped strip under the saddle .

D

Donkeymad

Shoulder, I want everybody to know they are freezemarked.
They are all part of our carriage hire business.

Shazzababs

Visit site
Mine are both done on their backs.

I've also painted the number on all my rugs (in foot high letters), with my mobile number & postcode so that it can be easily spotted in the winter if they stray. So far has stopped people taking the rugs off their back too.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
I HATE Dexter's mark on his shoulder- it looks horrible in the showring so i end up colouring it in with boot polish..
I wish his last owner had done it under saddle.

the watcher

Visit site
Mine is done on the shoulder - I want it to be visible at all times. I don't think it is any more unsightly than a warmblood brand mark, for example.

Their safety is far more important to me than a slight blemish to their appearance

Tnavas

Visit site
In NZ - TB's are freeze branded on both shoulders - on the nearside is the stud brand and on the off side the foal and year number. They used to be hot branded but it can be hard to read at races so they opted for freeze branding - there was a bit of a fuss made by the showies but they realised that in a few years every horse in the ring would be branded. Brands are usually only a couple of inches high.

The standardbreds get branded on the offside at the top of the neck with marks that mean numbers.
Even riding/sport horses get brande as we have to have that to enable us to enter some classes at bigger shows. Anything with a life height certificate also has to be branded.

BeckyD

Visit site
Shoulder, and always would do. Heard too many horror stories to have it on the back. Plus his has gone bald now, so would be a problem under the saddle.

Fizzimyst

www.catsprotection.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Mine is done on the shoulder - I want it to be visible at all times. I don't think it is any more unsightly than a warmblood brand mark, for example.

Their safety is far more important to me than a slight blemish to their appearance

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to get mine done on the shoulder for exactly these reasons

christi

Visit site
no point having a freezemark if its never seen .I want everyone who sees my horse to see the Freezemark !! also microchipped twice !
my horse just after being done ....
P1000475.jpg

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
I have booked in for my boy doing on 6 June.

I was worrying about having it done on his back but Farmkey said not to worry it won't make him sensitive to his saddle or anything.

Just reading this now and the horror stories mentioned, what kind of horror stories? Please tell!

I am now back to being undecided as to where to have freezemark done now!

Pondrider

Visit site
Neck or shoulder areas are preferrable to having a brand done under the saddle: as a saddle fitter I've seen far too many problems caused by brands under the saddle!
shocked.gif

I always have mine branded on the neck/crest as even on pale horses which effectively have to be 'bald-mark' branded there are never any issues with rubbing from tack or rugs.
smile.gif

Please don't intentionally subject your horse to additional skin-damage in the saddle area as this area is already at very high risk of being compromised.

jumbyjack

Visit site
I had mine done on the shoulder, I wanted it to be seen when she is ridden.

Christi, your horse is simply stunning!