Those who have minis.....

MadJ

Visit site
Do you clip them before spring?
Mine's still got his full coat and unrugged. He's the first mini I've had and his hair is insane compared to the horses. I'm thinking of clipping and rugging him next month so he's not carrying his crazy coat when the weather warms up.
Does anyone else do this?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I have an Icy that I sometimes clip out when his coat starts moulting in handfuls. I do it a lot later than this though, usually about April. Even that late it doesn't affect his summer coat .

Pinky94

Visit site
I have clipped my mini boy april/may time the year before last. He then had a high trace in November 2012, and it was still very visible in July as he was still holding onto his coat. He has had a trace clip again this winter and I will be clipping him out completely when the clocks change.

MadJ

Visit site
Thanks. I only got him Feb last year (he accidentally ended up getting on the trailer when I was collecting a pony for a friend) and he wasn't in a good way so didn't think about clipping him then.
Like yours Pinky, mine held on to his coat for much of the summer and I'd like to avoid that this year in case he over heats. The poor boy needs to enjoy his retirement to the full after what he's been through.

kat2290

Visit site
Last year my two minis had enormous winter coats, when the spring came they just weren't shedding it fast enough so they ended up getting really really sweaty and all of their coats became totally matted and disgusting. I tried my best the keep on top of it but it just got out of control. It took then until about July to fully shed their woollies, it was ridiculous and they looked horrific!! So this year I am planning on clipping them both, and then rugging until it warms up a bit.

Question - when would be the best time to clip? Bearing in mind I only have a lightweight no fill rug for each of them and I really dont want to have to buy them more rugs, they've never even worn the lightweights!

nevis

Visit site
I've an Icey too (waves to Gloi!), an Icey cross and 2 shetlands who live out 24/7 1000 feet atop a hill.
I get them bib clipped mid Jan - end Feb time depending on where the winters at as it's just too warm for them to work otherwise. The bib means that if it rains it just drips off the side so they're still pretty weatherproof but not too warm to work?
It's also when I'm wanting them to slim down before the spring grass comes in?

A minis coat is the best weather defence system a mini will ever have... When its minus drastic up here the ice freezes on the top and insulates them inside. Gotta love mother nature!
(I'd be begging you not to clip and rug unless you need it for daily ridden work reasons... but I'm a hill dwelling hairy fan!)

kat2290

Visit site
Oh I'm right there with you on the not rugging front, hence why mine still have their tags on - just got them for emergencies really! But I don't want to have a repeat of last year, aside from them looking ridiculous with their dread locks it was obviously uncomfortable for them as they were far too hot. Plus because they became all matted I think that compounded the problem as they couldn't shed properly. If I clip them out I'm sure their coats would grow back so fast they wouldn't need to be rugged for very long??

pippixox

Visit site
my friend has a mini, who has tonnes of fur. last year she just kept attacking it with a shedding comb (the metal teeth brushes) and it did get a lot out. but it took a while! even in the summer he keeps quite a thick coat compare to most. think he would blunt her clippers!

nevis

Visit site
I hear you... Mine get matted behind the armpits if I leave it too long (only happened once)... how long are we talking about here? You could bib or trace leaving nice hairy protected legs but would clean up the pits and cool them down a lot?

I'm always a bit hesitant until I think the big snows have gone up here - wee hooligans first winter up here had the nutter snorkelling all of his 37" in 30" of snow - they got their chests shaved LATE that winter! :-O

kat2290

Visit site
How long are their coats? A good 3-4 inches, longest in their pits and bellies, a trace clip could work I guess and I could tackle the rest with my shedding blade!

Sorry to hijack your thread OP!

Bobbly

Visit site
I usually clip my girls at Easter then rug up till the weather is warm(er)! A drop of sedalin first helps the process as they don't seem to like the vibration of their little bones then do the tricky bits whilst they are 'under' :)

Equi

Visit site
They shed from about Feb on so they thin out pretty fast if you keep them well groomed. I clip for showing, so i won't be touching mine until april at the earliest!

putasocinit

Visit site
He will lose his coat before you realise it, as soon as it warms up it will be gone so dont clip him, you could help him when the time comes by brushing him

MadJ

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice.
I got a shedding comb last year which was amazing on him. I'm hoping part of the reason he held on to his coat so long was that he was very run down and poor when I brought him home. Even my vet wasn't impressed at the state of him. He certainly doesn't need a rug with all that sheep like fur, it's so long it even covers his feet.
I'll hold out with the clippers for a while and see how he goes. If we get a warm spell in spring then he can have a shave.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My mini (as in mini-shettie) is already starting to drop her coat slightly, tho there is around 3 or 4" of deep-shag pile there :)
Yes, on a warm day she gets a bit warm, but equally on a cold wet day, she is still toasty comfy :)

I just keep on top of the coat, use a shedder when needed & make sure there is shade on a warm spring day.
To be honest, I'd never clip a native unless they are in regular hard work or require it for medical reasons. Why make work for yourself and also have the worry if not there & the weather/temps changes?
Ponies will usually self regulate as best they can :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
My new 8hh cutie has an amazing coat - honestly I'd have to attack him in a majpr way with sissors before even dreaming of clippers - it's going to be a hairy spring in our house!!
His chin I'd say is easily 4 inches

putasocinit

Visit site
image_zpsf8b32c48.jpg

He will lose this coat by March, does it every year

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have three minis and in the winter they are so hairy they look like round fat balls on fluffy stumps but in the summer they develop beautiful glossy summer coats and they are stunning. I have never clipped them but their summer coats are fine and silky so haven't really felt the need to.

MadJ

Visit site
putasocinit thanks for putting the pic up as the other thing I've been paranoid about is his tummy!
My vet has said he's just right weight wise but always looks quite round in comparison to my the horses.