Those who own / have owned Stallions

Kaylum

Visit site
If you do use him as a stallion you have a hell of a lot of responsibility on your hands, which many breeders do not care about. When we were breeding we rejected quite a few mares due to their temperaments, conformation, height, build and even pedigree. They weren't suitable to be breed from from our point of view, whilst ofcourse their owners thought they were perfect.

Ofcourse they went elsewhere but with AI you need to take this into account.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Sorry if I got you wrong here, Cortez, but I thought you were referring to the one thing he will probably be waving at you, if you know what I mean! If I am wrong, then please ignore me :rolleyes:
....ignoring.....

What I meant is that it's how you deal with temperament that either results in a pleasant, mannerly horse that suppresses his innate desire to be a thug, or allows him to be a PITA. He'll always innately be who he is, just under some form of influence (if handled well).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I rode for two years or so on a stunning Arab stallion many years ago. He was not mine he belonged to a family member. He was my go to riding horse when I was teaching my sons to ride out on leading rein, their pony was a hairy fat little gelding that lived with the stallion and his herd of arab mares. Never had a single problem with him, his manners on the ground and ridden were impeccable. He lead my small children and their pony across motorways at ground level, over bridges spanning motorways and pretty much anywhere we wanted to go. I think the answer is all in how well they are handled and trained from birth.

Incidentally, I had a full ID filly here that was as black as ebony, she kept her colour until about 5 or so and then greyed out, going from a gorgeous dappled iron grey to just plain old grey in her later years. Only remarking as OP suggested his black coat colour as a good point for keeping her colt entire.
Arab stallions tend to have great temperaments and are quite easy to do compared to other breeds, the Beduin soldiers used the Arab stallions to guard the women and children in their tents the Arab mares went out to battle.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Arab stallions tend to have great temperaments and are quite easy to do compared to other breeds, the Beduin soldiers used the Arab stallions to guard the women and children in their tents the Arab mares went out to battle.
This is correct, however the reason is said to be because on sneak attacks the mares were quieter and didn't neigh to announce their presence, as stallions have a tendency to do.

paddy555

Visit site
my chap was a total darling today. OH's horse was out of action so he rode my stallion, it was only an hours walking/trotting around the roads. Our roads are single track, we are surrounded by open moorland and there are often sheep, cattle and feral ponies wandering down them. We also have inconsiderate farmers. Todays farmer was one of those. He evicted 15 feral mares and their 5 foals from his fields and drove them (flat out as normal) with his truck and dog down the roads back to the common. There are a lot of blind bends and he just drives them, doesn't care what is in front. We have no idea when this is going to happen. In front was my little stally. . No where for OH to take the horse in a car width's road with high walls so he had to turn round and face them whilst they cantered past. What a little star.

Then, blow me, having moved the ponies in one direction and farmer reappeared driving his cattle equally fast in the other direction so the horse had to stand and wait for them to charge past as well. .
Good lad, extra nuts for him today. :D