those who pay to use arena lighting...

ConnieLove

Visit site
When I did used to pay at my last yard, it was 20p for 15min on top of my £30p/w livery but that was 3 years ago now. The arena was really well lit with 8 floodlights, but the YO at the time was saying he was going to have to up the cost..

McCauley

Visit site
Previous yard was £1 for 30 mins and took about 3/4 to properly warm up... They were also only down one side of the arena so it was like 'riding into the light and back into the dark again' !!!

Yard i'm on now has a telescopic light and lights up the whole of the arena...and some! Included in the livery, so FOC.

SplashofSoy

Visit site
£1.50 per use, its only me riding one horse so no fixed time limits as go when no one else is around usually. If i lunge use lights for about 25 mins, if i school then usually an hour, if i jump by the time i have got poles etc out and put away its about 1hr 30.

kc100

Visit site
I rode at a friend's indoor arena recently and it was £1 for half an hour - thank god my yard has free lights for both indoor and outdoor! I'd spend a fortune!

galaxy

Visit site
At a yard I was at about 8 years ago is was 50p for 30 mins

When I moved I purposely found one where the charge was included in the livery. I found at the last yard as soon as I put money in the lights everyone else piled into the school!!! I used to get so annoyed!

Ella19

Visit site
Having been at my yard for 4 years I only found out last week we pay for the lights!! For 2 years I was on shift work so rode mostly in the day. Apparently its £1 in the meter and it "lasts for ages" , certainly does as far as I'm aware £1 has lasted a week now and I work there so know nobody has out anymore in.

Mike007

Visit site
It all depends on the total wattage of the lighting ,as to whether you are paying a fair price or not.I was at a yard where the school was metered and it took £1 for about 1 hour, then they changed the bulbs to a low energy one and suddenly £1 lasted about 4 hours. Halogen bulbs eat money .

JenJ

Visit site
£1 for 30 minutes in 20x60 school - 3 floodlights per side, total 6

10p for (I think) 15 minutes in 35x35 school - about 6 lights on one side

Tinypony

Visit site
I enquired about hiring an indoor arena for a couple of hours recently. They wanted £22 per hour on top of the hourly rate for lighting. That's £22 per hour, plus £22 for lights!! I'm still reeling over that one.

Mythical

Visit site
I used to be on a yard where it was £5 to use the school and £1.50 for the lights. If you were sharing the school, as we had to practically every day, it was still £5 + £1.50 each! It was a really nice school though with a nice surface and a nice even spread of light.

Now I know that this yard used to charge extra to owners who had 'other people regularly caring for their horses' , so I'm not sure if this rate was for owners too or just sharers. It was a nice, smart yard though and I happily pay extra for the nice heated brew room and toilet room with a working light just at the moment!! (working light, hand dryer, mirror, air fresheners, even flowers, sometimes!!)

FaldingwoodLivery

Visit site
We charge £1 per hour or they can put Multiples of 20p in and each 20p gets them 12minutes. Ours has four very high wattage halogens in each corner, riding in there at night is probably brighter than rising in there most dull winter days x

Sunshine

Visit site
When I was on one livery yard about 15 years ago we had to pay £1 per half hour on a meter. School was lit by four street light stanchions with the same yellow low pressure sodium bulbs, which were not really the best. Turned out (when the owner was arrested one morning) that he had 'acquired' them, and various other items, through his job as Highways Officer at local council.

Like Mike said earlier in the thread - it all depends on the bulbs used as far as value for money is concerned. Halogen floodlights and even the sodium ones can run up quite a bill and if the meter helps 'remind' riders to switch them off as soon as they have finished then it is worthwhile. We have recently put four 30w bright white LED floodlights in for our own school and they run from a leisure battery via an inverter. Have only charged the battery once even though the lights are used 6 days a week.