Those who raw feed, what benefits did you see?

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
As above really, thinking of changing my dog from kibble to raw.

Hes never really been interested in his kibble and I've finally got some space in my freezer for raw!

What % of body weight do you feed also?

Any hits/tips?

Karran

Visit site
I think it saved Mrs Spaniel. When I took this photo, she was on three large kibble meals a day (plus bedtime snack!) She was tested for worms and all sorts but the weight just did not stay on!
She is 13kg and I feed about half a kilo a day during the summer and competing season, down to about 350/400g a day depending on how active we are.
Mrs Collie (15kg) I'm still working out the right amount as she's not yet out competing but she roughly has 600g a day.
It definitely helped both calm down as they were loons on kibble!

I don't DIY and buy premades like Paleo Ridge, Natural Instinct Working Dog, and Cotswold Raw, I found Bulmers and Dogs Butcher had too much bone for mine. If you do the DIY route, its something like 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% offal. I dont tend to get ones with veggies added but both mine snack on carrots pinched from the horses, apples, pears and berries from the garden.

Attachments

• hero22.png
    hero22.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 15

Roxylola

Visit site
Fab shiny coats really soon after swapping. Much more consistent faeces - one of mine was really prone to upset stomachs on kibble. They smell a bit less "dog". Reduced poo eating tendencies.
Those are the main ones I can think of, other than a general more chilled attitude

palo1

Visit site
Well my chap was on a good kibble but I couldn't keep weight on him and he pooed about 6 times a day!! I decided to give raw a go after advice from our brilliant local dog food supplier (I had been buying from them for ages). I feed pre-packaged raw but a variety of plain meats (as in chopped and packaged) and 'posh' dinners! My Irish Terrier is about 17kg, 2.5 years old and eats about 600g a day. He gets his big meal at breakfast (about 450-500g) and then fish, a chicken wing, lamb rib, egg and yogurt or similar for tea. He only poos twice a day and is a super healthy weight though still slim. Loads of energy, lovely teeth, no doggy smell, poos are smaller and don't smell and he LOVES his food. Kibble was fine really but pretty dull for an entire lifetime I felt and the pooing suggested that he just wasn't digesting as much as he should. Raw seems to suit him perfectly and is very easy. I buy a month's supply of frozen food, stick it in one part of our chest freezer and pick out 1 large meal and 1 small or treats every evening. I leave those to defrost in a tupperware box in the utility room and he has semi-frozen fish for tea sometimes! Breakfast is always defrosted lol. I can't see a return to kibble any time soon though I would if raw stopped suiting him.

Nudibranch

Visit site
The main plus point is the fact it gets eaten every time. The other big bonus is having an awful lot less to pick up from the other end. And tartar free teeth, good coat, ears and skin.
I use Durham Animal Feeds frozen blocks, and sometimes eggs, fish, etc. My 18kg collie eats 1 DAF block a day split into 2 meals and is a good weight.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
The main plus point is the fact it gets eaten every time. The other big bonus is having an awful lot less to pick up from the other end. And tartar free teeth, good coat, ears and skin.
I use Durham Animal Feeds frozen blocks, and sometimes eggs, fish, etc. My 18kg collie eats 1 DAF block a day split into 2 meals and is a good weight.

That would be a very good plus point!

Karran

Visit site
Mrs Spaniel has always felt that its not a day out unless she makes one new friend (appropriately!) and Mrs Collie has always had an iffy temperament. The only thing that changed is that they became a bit calmer and a bit more willing to listen.

I could take a meaty raw bone from Mrs Spaniel and she'd not be bothered, so no I don't believe that is true at all! (I wouldn't dare from Mrs Collie and I've always been brought up anyway to leave dogs in peace when they eat!)

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Mrs Spaniel has always felt that its not a day out unless she makes one new friend (appropriately!) and Mrs Collie has always had an iffy temperament. The only thing that changed is that they became a bit calmer and a bit more willing to listen.

I could take a meaty raw bone from Mrs Spaniel and she'd not be bothered, so no I don't believe that is true at all! (I wouldn't dare from Mrs Collie and I've always been brought up anyway to leave dogs in peace when they eat!)

Phew! I did think it might be total rubbish :D

Karran

Visit site
I think the problem is, because the food is so much more fun and higher value than boring old kibble, that it *could* - not all cases - lead to resource guarding of the food which might be where the myth comes from?
Knowing your dog and having common sense helps!!!

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
I think the problem is, because the food is so much more fun and higher value than boring old kibble, that it *could* - not all cases - lead to resource guarding of the food which might be where the myth comes from?
Knowing your dog and having common sense helps!!!

Ahhh that makes sense!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Mine is much calmer on Raw, more at peace with himself, but still has the energy to go all day.

He also has better skin, maintains a nice consistent slim weight, and his ears are no longer an issue.

I feed Honeys. Which is a pre-made, is high quality and meets FEDIAF standards. It's also made from Organic or Free Range British Meat which is important to me. He loves it, I don't find it mega expensive and it's as easy to store as raw can be.

I tried other brands previously and did do DIY for a year but it was either prohibitively expensive or a royal pain in the behind to prepare and source quality ingredients.

Certainly hasn't lead to aggression issues in my dog, or for other family members dogs who have followed suit. None are aggressive in the first place, but definitely a common sense approach!

Antw23uk

Visit site
I wouldnt feed anything else.
Vet checks are always met with a teeth check and a 'how old is she again?' because her teeth are so clean
She doesnt have that 'doggy' smell
Good poos (you'll become slightly weirdly obsessed .. when you know you know, lol!)

The benefits are too numerous to list and it sounds like your already planning the change. Good luck, it will be the best thing you ever do for your dog :)

Antw23uk

Visit site
Great to hear, you wait till you give him his first carcass or chicken wing ... they turn feral, lol its hilarious :) Remember they need to learn how to handle bones and bodies so when you try the first chicken wing, for example, keep a firm grip to ensure he understands he must chew it properly and not just swallow it whole! They soon get the hang of it :) How exciting for you :)

[139672]

Visit site
First weeks supply of raw bought last night, swapping over gradually but loved the raw I gave him last night and this morning!
Advice used to be don’t mix raw and other dog food but the science has now changed and you can mix them, personally though I’d feed mainly raw re benefits of teeth, poos, no diarrhoea, hardly any wind!!! My dog has Nature’s Menu and also lamb and venison ribs. He was not a fan of chicken wings/small bones. He also has some good quality kibble as a back up if we’re on holiday and can’t get hold of or store his raw food.
Not sure if advice has changed but when my dog started on raw I was told no need for gradual change, just start feeding raw.
I feel sad when I read people saying their dog doesn’t eat their food so they leave it for hours and they’ll eat when they are hungry enough. No, find food that they actually like ?
For anyone interested, I’ve found a really good toothpaste, orozyme gel. I give to my dog at night, just squirt it on their teeth. It is really sticky. They try to lick it off but a lot of it sticks to their teeth and gums. Really freshens their breath as well as helping to keep their teeth clean.

Karran

Visit site
What do you mean? I supplement with Plaque-off for both. Mrs Spaniel has a Yumove and Mrs Collie a Yucalm daily. Once a week I mash an egg shell and all into a meal as a treat!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Royal Canin, as recommended by our breeder, became known as Royal Cocaine in our house as it made him bounce off the walls. On tripe, "tongue complete" and chicken wings in the evening, a small amount of a grain free kibble (Wafcol, the only one that doesn't contain something he's not allergic to) with a raw egg some days when he wants breakfast....only the odd bit of veg as he's not over keen...he looks amazing for an 8 year old Great Dane and came through cruciate surgery looking way better than the surgeon, regular vet or physio could have predicted.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Royal Canin, as recommended by our breeder, became known as Royal Cocaine in our house as it made him bounce off the walls. On tripe, "tongue complete" and chicken wings in the evening, a small amount of a grain free kibble (Wafcol, the only one that doesn't contain something he's not allergic to) with a raw egg some days when he wants breakfast....only the odd bit of veg as he's not over keen...he looks amazing for an 8 year old Great Dane and came through cruciate surgery looking way better than the surgeon, regular vet or physio could have predicted.

Lol at royal cocaine :D, assuming the bouncing off the walls stopped on raw?

Roxylola

Visit site
Be prepared to feed just plain green tripe a fair bit at least at first. Not every dog suits 80/10/10 and especially initially its a lot for them to adapt to, tripe is easy on their digestive systems. I fed a couple of weeks just tripe initially but I know lots of folk don't and manage fine.
I don't supplement as such, smart barf seems to get good reviews. Mine get odd bits of fruit and veg now and again, I make sure they get oily fish meals, and sometimes add in mussels but that's about it

Karran

Visit site
I've seen some people feed those little paw print things is is Kefir?

Kefir I think is the dog equivalent of a Yakult! Some of my friends feed it, I don't, because i'm lazy and i like things simple. You can freeze it or give it as it is. My friends "grow" the cultures themselves and harvest it - seems like a lot of hassle to me!

Pawprint things could be the kefir - you can also make bone broth and stuff and freeze them and add to the diet. Again i'm lazy and don't bother!

Karran

Visit site
if you're on Facebook there is a site called RawFeeding Rebels that might help? They are a bit "Evangelical" about raw feeding but its a good source of information with some files to access with info.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Kefir I think is the dog equivalent of a Yakult! Some of my friends feed it, I don't, because i'm lazy and i like things simple. You can freeze it or give it as it is. My friends "grow" the cultures themselves and harvest it - seems like a lot of hassle to me!

Pawprint things could be the kefir - you can also make bone broth and stuff and freeze them and add to the diet. Again i'm lazy and don't bother!

Ahhhh ok I see, haha thank you :D

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Lol at royal cocaine :D, assuming the bouncing off the walls stopped on raw?

Absolutely, it was instant, and also, because he was allergic to some ingredients (first tested by our amazing "fluffy" diet guy, and later confirmed by the vet with blood tests, his pink skin and heat went down, it was within a day we saw change, and I think 3 days all side effects had gone.

Kefir is a human product, it's better than Yakult, much better, as it's naturally brewed and would have a much broader spectrum of bacteria than Yakult, also no sugar, Y is off the scale with sugar I think. I used to brew my own but it was very sour, we get it from the Polish shop and it's the same price as milk!