Those with big (heavy horse x) horses

McNally

Visit site
Been wondering the very same! I have been recommended Shires and Premier Equine.
I also have a pony who is big round the front and Premier Equine fits him perfectly so this may be the way I will go this winter.
I'm used to trying to fit a TB- this is a whole new problem for me!

Supertrooper

Visit site
I have used premier equine and they do fit well, may just stick with them. Have also found they often have the 7'3" rugs in the sale bit :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I could use Robinson's rugs or most other cheap makes on my Clydies but the Westphalian that I bought earlier this year brought a new Masta rug with her which went no-where near her and had to be turned back at the neck to fit her shoulders. I am going to investigate the 'Big Horse Rug company' (I think that's what it's called) for next winter. Ours usually go out in their own coats but |I do like to have a couple of rugs available in case of dreadful weather.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Weatherbeeta standard necks are a good fit on heavies, plenty of room in the neck/shoulder, long and deep enough. My Shire also has a 7' Amigo lite which fits him well too, he's 17 hands and big with it. I dont like cotton lined rugs as they grip like velcro and are impossible to right once slipped.

JessPickle

Visit site
My clydesdale x has Fal Pro (old style) and Premier Equine Outdoor Rugs. For indoor rug have Mark Todd, and then a Thermatex which is enormous on him and is only 6ft9! they come up HUGE!

Leah3horses

Visit site
I leave my Clyde x mare as nature intended apart from the very worst of the weather..she is extremely broad through the chest and neck area and at 15.3hh wears a 7ft Shires rug..depends where you need the 'extra big-ness', in length or breadth I'd say? Shires good for big boned broad horses, they have extra chest and neck room (Hmm is that why the company is called 'Shires'??)..Weatherbeeter,Mark Todd,Masta etc..I have found are good in the length but nowhere near big enough in the chest/neck area for my girly. Heavies rock, nothing else for me all my life,and won't be..well, apart from my minis but they are scaled down Shires :)

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I feel your pain, peeps, my lad is not a heavy horse but is in 7ft rugs and has massive movement so is difficult to rug.

However, try getting rugs for a heavy horse that is only 14-2hh. Fany, Ardennes, is massive in the chest and quarters but is just a 6ft in rugs. It is impossible! Poor mare when she does wear a rug (When she was poorly, she is a cold blood and generally doesn't need them) she has to wear chest expanders, they still rub a bit but any longer and she would trip over them!

FDC

smudge99

Visit site
I must admit I have tried them all the makes on my shire wb x who is 18.1, he takes a 60" girth and has huge shoulders and only the weatherbeeta fits him, the rest look like mini skirts on him and rub on the shoulders. The only reason I rug is that although he lives out 24/7 he gets a full clip so needs the protection. I tell you its a nightmare!! ;o) but he is worth it lol.
Edited to say he takes a 7'3 in rugs.

Jay89

Visit site
Premier Equine! Used them on all our big chested heavy boys! Mouse our old horse was in 7'3" rugs and they fitted him lovely.

bumblelion

Visit site
I find the standard neck weatherbeeta's fit my boy really well, the best rug I'v got him is the weatherbeeta tristar and it's a great fit, bit like the rambo duo. He has very wide shoulders. I find amigo's or rambo's are much too tight. Never tried masta on him, did a few years ago on my tb and they drowned him and slipped so they'll probably be okay too for heavies.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
My Shire x has worn Weatherbeeta Oricans (with the detachable neck). I find anything 'combo' and even the Premier Equine hoods won't do up around her neck.
Well, they will, but she stops breathing. :p :D
S :D

topclass

Visit site
I had the same sort of problem with my clydesdale but I found that masta do make an extra deep one and also in 7'6" and that certain weatherbetta's do a 7'6" so most of mine are from there but there is the the big horse company who deal with 7'0 rugs and over they maybe worth a look depending on the build of your baby x