Those with dogs fed on Millies Wolfheart....

chillipup

Visit site
My 12/13 kg, almost 9 month old cross bred bitch, Tallulah, has been on Millies Wolfheart complete food, Tracker and Countryside dry complete, (after so many recommendations on here) for about 4 months now. Plus I add a tablespoon or so of canned meat. She is in excellent health, is a good weight for her size, is very energetic and gets daily off lead exercise, (with her friends) for 1- 1.5 hours a day. I have reduced her meals down from three to twice a day two months ago, same recommended amount, but now in two meals instead of three. Morning and evening with access to fresh water at all times. Nothing else has changed.

However, she poos at least 3/4 times a day. Normal, firm poos, never runny, (even after eating a wild Mixie rabbit leg!) and she never strains. Is this normal for a dog fed on this product? or a bit odd? How often does you dog(s) go?

As I've said, everything about her is completely normal, she is a fit, happy and healthy girl. It just seems rather a lot of poos every day.

I.M.N.

Visit site
Both of mine are on it, one probably goes on average 3 times a day, the other one I have no idea as he's a shy pooper!

Thistle

Visit site
It's normal for a dog to go 2, 3 or even 4 times a day, consistency is important. One of my dogs does 2 huge ones, another 4 smaller ones!

Why do you add the tinned meat? What brand is it? Does it contain cereals? If so not much point in feeding a prime food like Millie.

Have you tried just adding a little warm water instead to make the food more appealing.

My dogs get meat and veg scraps when there are any and also get a whole raw egg including the shell twice a week when my cooks are laying well.

I find that if any of mine get fed bread, pizza crusts or other wheat products (including biscuits like shapes) the pop changes texture and becomes more frequent.

satinbaze

Visit site
This is why I'm glad I feed raw. Dogs only poo twice a day hard white and easy to pick up.��
I realise raw isn't for everyone but I've done it now for 18 years so I think I've got the hang of it!!!!! Lol

chillipup

Visit site
It's normal for a dog to go 2, 3 or even 4 times a day, consistency is important. One of my dogs does 2 huge ones, another 4 smaller ones!

Why do you add the tinned meat? What brand is it? Does it contain cereals? If so not much point in feeding a prime food like Millie.

Have you tried just adding a little warm water instead to make the food more appealing.

My dogs get meat and veg scraps when there are any and also get a whole raw egg including the shell twice a week when my cooks are laying well.

I find that if any of mine get fed bread, pizza crusts or other wheat products (including biscuits like shapes) the pop changes texture and becomes more frequent.

Good grief Thistle, where did you find these amazing 'cooks' you employ who are able to supply you with eggs too? Where can I find one, did you go through an employment agency, I want one ;)

I've not owned or fed a young dog for quite a number of years, most of mine have been older adopted rescues, which if I recall correctly, would only poo once or twice a day. I can still remember feeding raw fresh tripe with biscuits many years ago. However, I'm very pleased to hear 3/4 times a day is a normal amount for many dogs to 'go'.

Sometimes the girl turns her nose up at just the dry complete Millies and will walk away. I pick it up after 20 mins if she's not gone back to eat it, offer it again later on and if she still wont touch it, I'll bin it and she has to wait for dinner.

I did try adding a little warm water to make it more palatable to her but she wasn't impressed. She loves a raw egg once a week (I'll include the shell as well next time) and that makes her eat all her meal. She does not get anything else other than Millies WH dog training treats and the odd bit of cooked chicken breast if there is any left overs. She does not get any bread/pizza crusts or any other human food titbits.

The spoonful of dog meat I add currently, is from the Lily's Kitchen range (usually chicken and turkey casserole which contains 60% chicken, 15% turkey, 15% organic veg & some fruit, plus lots of herbs, vits and minerals. No soya or wheat, No artificial colours or additives, no GMOs. No rendered meats or derivatives)
It costs a ruddy fortune per can but she does eat all her food if it's mixed in well with the Millies. I was going to try a little bit of Millies wet food to add, as it can come with my next order of dried, or do you think she may be better on the wet food instead of dried altogether?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My pup is on MWH and a small amount of minced RAW and goes three times a day. More than I'd expect a RAW fed dog, less than I'd expect a cheap kibble to produce-smells more than on RAW too!

Thistle

Visit site
I now have an image of little fat cooks with big hats on, squatting to lay eggs, thanks to spell check.

You may well find that she turns her nose up at the egg shell, my 2 labs and the Springer love theirs the Staffie doesn't always eat the shell.

I haven't tried the MWH wet range, what's the price comparison with Lily's? I have greedy dogs, labs are fantastic eaters!. I would love to feed raw but would I need lots of freezer space having 4 dogs? I only have a standard size upright.

Have you tried different flavours on MWH. They do some small size packs for this reason.

{97702}

Visit site
This is why I'm glad I feed raw. Dogs only poo twice a day hard white and easy to pick up.��
I realise raw isn't for everyone but I've done it now for 18 years so I think I've got the hang of it!!!!! Lol

Ditto satinblaze - except it hasn't been 18 years lol - I would be overwhelmed if 4 greyhounds went 3-4 times a day :D :D

chillipup

Visit site
Thanks Thistle, Yes I ordered several varieties of the small trial packs from MWH prior to buying the big sacks, to determine what she might like. (soft touch, aren't I?) and looking at the varieties for different types of dogs and the calculator, decided, as she's not a working dog, did not require such a high protein content. (although they're all pretty high, good stuff anyway).

Lily's Kitchen is £2.25 400g tin through Tesco. Millies WH wet is, (if I order 36 x 395g tins) £ 1.32 per tin. I think I'm going to order some Millies WH wet....

I'm tempted to try her on a raw diet as she did relish the leg from a Mixie rabbit she caught recently. I do have the space for a small freezer too. There are so many rabbits around where I live, if she became better and faster at catching them, she could blimmin well catch her own food, which would save me a small fortune to boot ;) I'll need to study all the info on a raw diet first though before I decide.

Thanks for your help.

chillipup

Visit site
Lévrier;13389150 said:
Ditto satinblaze - except it hasn't been 18 years lol - I would be overwhelmed if 4 greyhounds went 3-4 times a day :D :D

Oh yes Lev, 'You're going to need a bigger poo bag' would come to mind ;)

missmatch

Visit site
Can I ask why you feed egg/egg shell? Does it benefit the dog ?

Eggs are an excellent source of protein. If you consider they contain everything to grow a baby chick, then you can see why they are such a good feed choice.
The shells are full of calcium, I never feed raw eggs more than twice a week as I have very large breeds and too much calcium is obviously as dangerous as too little.
I only buy organic eggs as I don't want my dogs eating anything that's been washed and sprayed with God knows what.
There is a theory which says that the egg shells worm the dog. I for one think that's a slightly outdated theory but I do believe they are beneficial in keeping a clean gut and healthy dog which in turn means they manage natural worm burdens well. I do worm, simply because I know first hand the devastation worms cause. I also guard against lungworm having lost a dog to it.
Some people use a coffee grinder to grind the shells and add to food. I just feed whole. There is no right or wrong way and everyone will have different opinions and or theories.
Mine have been raw fed nearly two years now and they are stunningly beautiful dogs. Weighing in at 46kg and 48kg respectively.
They do have their own freezer so I can bulk buy - much cheaper.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I feed raw eggs, well I do when I have a glut, my last wee dog would just take one whole and eat it up :) whereas the other one didn't appreciate shells. The cat loves them too-shell and all.

When I started RAW I got a free freezer from FB -massive thing that I got a pal to PAT test for me. There always seems to be freezers of various sizes going cheap/free around us. We've since replaced it for a more efficient one but we had it running for a good 6 months. I buy in bulk from local butcher and DAF but like I said, he's not on it completely right now.

Another alternative which I don't think is quite as spendy but looks good (especially the tins) is Simpsons Premium.