Those with inbetween rug sized horses :) Amigo Fly rug advice

Louby

Visit site
Its driving me mad lol,
Shes inbetween sizes and I usually go up a size which works fine with turnouts and stable rugs but fly rugs are a law to themselves :confused:
I find if they are slightly long they pull back and rub her shoulders, but if I get the size below they are snug.
Bought the Rambo fly buster in a 6' 3, it was like a lycra suit lol, went up a size and it was too long and still snug on the body! Cost me loads to send them both back.
So just seen the Amigo fly buster on sale and I dont know what size to get? Tried an old version of this rug in 6' 6 and its too long and a bit big on the neck.
Anyone got this rug please and how does it come up size wise?
Thanks in advance

Chianti

Visit site
Its driving me mad lol,
Shes inbetween sizes and I usually go up a size which works fine with turnouts and stable rugs but fly rugs are a law to themselves :confused:
I find if they are slightly long they pull back and rub her shoulders, but if I get the size below they are snug.
Bought the Rambo fly buster in a 6' 3, it was like a lycra suit lol, went up a size and it was too long and still snug on the body! Cost me loads to send them both back.
So just seen the Amigo fly buster on sale and I dont know what size to get? Tried an old version of this rug in 6' 6 and its too long and a bit big on the neck.
Anyone got this rug please and how does it come up size wise?
Thanks in advance

I don't know about Amigo rugs but have you thought of Shires? I've just ordered their Highlander Plus Sun Shade Combo and really like it. This is the fifth rug I've ordered as all the others had belly flaps that must have been designed for elephants.

Louby

Visit site
I don't know about Amigo rugs but have you thought of Shires? I've just ordered their Highlander Plus Sun Shade Combo and really like it. This is the fifth rug I've ordered as all the others had belly flaps that must have been designed for elephants.
Thanks, Ive just got the Shires Tempest in a 6'6, cheap and cheerful but Ive had one before and it was great. Think my finger just wants to click on buy it now as these are on sale atm ooooops. Shes a Sports horse and the belly flaps barely met on the Rambo, so how they fit anything chunkier is beyond me! I just fancied trying the Vamoose as the flies are so so bad atm. I will have a look at the one youve just bought though. Thank you

TGM

Visit site
The trouble with Amigo rugs is that there is no adjustability at the front, so it either fits or it doesn't! I'd go for something with more adjustable front fastenings like the Maxima Equestrian fly rugs which allow you to alter the fit quite a bit. They also have generous belly flaps and have a sale on at the moment!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
so having had rambo and amigo versions Frank has been the same size in each though the rambo is more generous.
Usually with the v-neck (have rambos/rhino turnouts) I have to get him a size up (6') because it sits further forwards on him and doesn't then cover his arse but I don't have to with the fly rug so he remians a 5'9, and would have had a 5'9 amigo.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Amigo rugs don't fit either of my horses I find them far too tight, neither of them are narrow but they are not huge just average really and they are not odd shaped, I find shires and weatherbeeta fit mine well, I bought them fly rugs from legacy equestrian this year and they are decent rugs they have been washed countless times not too expensive either, I always tend to go smaller with fly rugs as they stretch.

Louby

Visit site
Thank you all, Im going to give it a go. Im interested to see if the Vamoose makes a difference as Im going to need a remortgage with the fly spray Im using atm :p Just made some up myself as the dear stuff doesnt seem to work either lol!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve got the Amigo bug buster vamoose and they seem true to size. I’ve got the 6ft 6in for the horse that measures that size and the 6ft 3in for my older horse who measures that. The bigger horse is wide chested and wide barrelled and it fits well. I bought one for about £60 the other day from Hope Valley.

Green Bean

Visit site
I have battled with fly rugs for my mare. The Mark Todd stable and turnout rugs are a good fit for her, however, the fly rugs are not. My horse is an ISH who is slightly wider in the chest and girth than 'normal'. I have tried a few but eventually settled with a Premier Equine rug which appears to be made for the larger lady. All the other rugs were tight at her chest, shoulder and neck, but the PE is really comfortable in these areas.

Chianti

Visit site
Thanks, Ive just got the Shires Tempest in a 6'6, cheap and cheerful but Ive had one before and it was great. Think my finger just wants to click on buy it now as these are on sale atm ooooops. Shes a Sports horse and the belly flaps barely met on the Rambo, so how they fit anything chunkier is beyond me! I just fancied trying the Vamoose as the flies are so so bad atm. I will have a look at the one youve just bought though. Thank you

I did buy a Rambo vamoose sweet itch rug and have to say it didn't seem to make any difference to the number of flies bothering my pony. I always buy the Rambo fly masks with the stiff eye rim to help stop rubbing. Pony got a new mask off and I found it in the field - covered in flies!

Louby

Visit site
Thanks all.
Ive tried the PE Green Bean, its a lovely well made rug but rubbed her chest, currently on a Weatherbeeta comfitec which is ok, just wanted a spare as Im constantly washing it. These were in the sale hence thinking sod it. I ordered a 6'3 so fingers crossed