Those with non horsey oh's

pansymouse

Visit site
Mine is strictly heavy labour. I once threw Mads' lead rope at him and asked him to hold her while I nipped to the loo; he couldn't have looked more scared if I popped him a cage with tiger and asked him to wrestle it.

Ben2684

Visit site
Leave him at home and give him a list of things that need doing round the house?? My OH is a clean freak, so whilst I am riding, he is cleaning :) I usually reward him with making brunch when I get back if we are both not working. He will nip up and feed/check if I need him to, and secretly quite likes to I think

Annagain

Visit site
Making up feeds, filling water buckets and emptying (but not filling) the wheelbarrow is the limit of my OH's activity. He will very occasionally come down to the hay fields with me in the summer (about a 3 minute walk) and lead one back up while I have the other and the dog. In some ways though it would be easier if he took the dog elsewhere and left me to get on with the horses!
He was a lot more keen to begin with but has taken less and less interest over the years (19 of them!) which suits me fine. I'd rather have him at home moaning that I'm late than with me nagging at me to hurry up!

tashcat

Visit site
Don't have an OH, but when I bring my non-horsey male friend to the yard he wonders around, pats some of the horses (whilst I try to subtly hint that he might want to avoid the bucking and biting bronco ones!) If you can put him onboard then go for it: he might actually enjoy it! Maybe avoid the stinky manual jobs - save those for when you've lured him in with the nice part of horse owning!!

smja

Visit site
My OH is enthusiastic but useless when it comes to mucking out, so he's not allowed to do it any more. He's decent with a yard brush though :D

He generally brings a bag of carrots or something and feeds/pats them whilst I do jobs. He's not at the yard very often, so I don't see any harm in that.

B&J

Visit site
When he first started he would just make a cup of tea and sit on the stable door and have a chat with the old boy until I was finished. Then he got 'horsey' and started riding a bit but there are certain things he won't do - haynets, mucking out, poo picking (although he'll wheel the barrow for me). But he will do the 'manly' jobs such as fixing things, picking out feet, turning the hay steamer on (what is it with men and gadgets!)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My OH, first time just came to see the mare and foal. I think he held a rope briefly, and then we went for a pub lunch :)

Must have worked as he ended up with his own horse some years down the line!

Fools Motto

Visit site
My OH came up to my work yard for only the second time in 18 months the other day. Saw me ride and jump one horse for 10 mins, then I told him to put the jumps away!! He then legged it!!
last summer, he went and checked and poo picked my mare once when I was busy. That was the first time he'd seen my horse in about 2 years, and oddly the last time he saw her too. It was a help though, and I'm very grateful, even when he complained about the 15 poos he had to pick up (too many he says! lol)

micramadam

Visit site
My OH comes to the yard when I need him to repair, move or fix something! Luckily he doesn't complain about doing this and is convinced the horses think of him as 'carrot man'. Don't push him to get on any of them and he is quite happy pottering about doing the things I ask him to. Although he isn't horsey he does like them and when Ruby died, he also shed a lot of tears.

Lauren_abigail

Visit site
Mine used to be pretty good when it came to 'yard time'

He would help muck out, fill water buckets, do haynets and even lead to / from field.

Until mid-winter when I asked him to put a tarp up in the back of the stable to stop the wind. He was perched quite precariously on the ledge and slipped into the big bed that was made up.

Unfortunately I hadn't finished mucking out and my darling OH fell into a big steaming pile of Jack's s***! Right on his bum.

Funnily enough, he hasn't been back!!!

Annagain

Visit site
A miracle occurred last night. Mine actually trotted M up so I could see if he was lame. Actually ran with him! He told me though he won't ever do it with A as he doesn't trust him... He's right not too. :D

lazyfoxx

Visit site
Im very lucky my wonderful husband likes to help me out when he can although never been around horses untill i got my first horse 6 years ago and more recently another wonderful horse he had never been around horses before, now he can muck out, do haynets, pooh picks, fills up water buckets, brings in and turns out and feed and rug change ! holds stirrup when i get on, he spends time on his phone while im in the school , but does come out on the bike for hacks with me, he made me a perfect fit mounting block ( if you own a giraffe - my fault i gave him measurements lol ), and generally helps me with what ever needs doing. On the downside he picks up horsey speak but doesnt really know what it means, watching other people riding and saying stuff like " she needs to get him on the bit " i ask do you no what that means ? him- no idea - along with other classics such as - the problem is her seat if you ask me- why is that horse dancing ( dressage practice ) she really needs to put the leg on- and his favourite quote when i mention any friends having a slight problem with their horse is- "this horsey world is full of middle aged women scared of their horses- cant you take up knitting ?" he's only joking -i hope- i count my blessings as he is a huge support to me and my expensive time consuming hobby ! as the saying go's..... Love me..... love my horses

kittyb

Visit site
Mine comes down once a month to "show an interest" in where I spend all my time. I mostly think he comes down to check there are no attractive men loitering around!

He tries to be helpful for around 30mins (but never anything to do with poo!) but then gets bored and finds a dog to play with. If I am riding he will take a few pictures and my horse gets fed a lot of treats when he is around! After about an hour he starts asking if I'm done yet every 10mins.

Tried to teach him how to read a dressage test for me once when I was schooling but to say he got in a bit of a pickle would be an understatement

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Mine used to be pretty good when it came to 'yard time'

He would help muck out, fill water buckets, do haynets and even lead to / from field.

Until mid-winter when I asked him to put a tarp up in the back of the stable to stop the wind. He was perched quite precariously on the ledge and slipped into the big bed that was made up.

Unfortunately I hadn't finished mucking out and my darling OH fell into a big steaming pile of Jack's s***! Right on his bum.

Funnily enough, he hasn't been back!!!

Am I mean that I laughed rather a lot at this!? :D