Those with Prem Equine turnout rugs...

Sunflowers

Visit site
Thinking of buying a Premier Equine turnout for my 16.3 gelding…Can anyone with a PE turnout help me choose?

I am v tight on cash, so am thinking about buying the Buster Titan 40, then when it's cold, putting liners underneath to make it up to 200/300gm as required.

Can anyone tell me, in reality do the liners work well? Do they stay put, and are they easy to take on/off? Would I be better buying a conventional 200/300gm rug instead?

Thanks guys!

Shellten

New User
Visit site
hi I have PE rugs for my 16h girl, zero 40g 200g and 300g!!!! also bought 100g and 200g liners! They are all Fab! I have used cheaper rugs but they dont last. I wish I hadnt bought so many of the PE rugs now as I dont need them all only really use the zero and the 40g with the liners, you can double up the liners, this means you have a variety of weight. Make sure you purchase rugs that take the liners as they dont all take them, and if you add them on facebook you get 10% of non sale items, tthey always have a sale on and you are sometimes lucky enough to get a rug in the right size! Only thing I dont have is the stable rug, now theres a thought for xmas lol

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I personally don't like the PE rugs (I've had problems with leaks and they are so heavy when wet), so I would look for something like a Shires Typhoon if you're looking for rugs to suit a chunky type. There are some good bargain rugs at the moment (eg Hope Valley).

RE the liner system, I have a Rambo Duo and it does work well, but I wouldn't like to only have one outer.

Shellten

New User
Visit site
yea or even the zero if your have a sweaty horse or one that doesnt feel the cold too mush as i use it through the summer as a rain sheet, you will get addicted though! have a look on the horse slaes pages on fb etc as they sometimes come up for sale (but not often) just keep an eye out everyday on the FB and there website as the have 20% deals everyday and you often get rugs on it, I know they arent cheap but in the long run worth every penny!
happy shopping!

Shooting Star

Visit site
I have a PE 40g and 100g liner as well as a couple of 200g, I don't actually use the liner though as the few times I did it made the rug very heavy and bulky to put on and take off and when it rained it was like lead!

I do love their rugs though but personally would go for buying the weight that I need rather than using the liners.

Visit site
I would avoid a PE turnout rug if you plan on your horse living in it for winter. They are SERIOUSLY heavy when wet! We weighed one last winter after a day in the rain (by day I mean 4 hours!) and it came in at just over 4st! That's for a 450g full neck turnout. Plus it leaked and the horse underneath was wet across the backend, withers and shoulders.

Buds_mum

Visit site
Bought the 40g last year, leaked like a sieve in drizzle on first wear! And I found PE very rude and disrespectful to deal with.

Charmin

Visit site
My mare lives out 24/7 and has Amigo rugs, she's never been soggy or less than snug, even when clipped. They're also not ridiculously heavy when wet.

They also fitted my old WB mare well and she had a hefty shoulder.

Puddock

Visit site
I've got a Buster Zero and a 200gm liner. I own lots of rugs, but have found I only really use that and a light-to-middleweight Mark Todd in the "in between" months. If I bought a 100gm liner, I'm sure I wouldn't need that either. Never had any problem with leaking or rug becoming heavy. I love it! My horse is 16.3hh and very chunky with HUGE shoulders - the 6ft 9 fits him impeccably.

paddy555

Visit site
the liners were the least of the problems. The leaking was the biggest problem plus the fact it was so heavy when wet I could barely lift it plus the fact that it was so heavy it was so uncomfortable for my poor lad. After only 2 years I have given up on it and bought a rambo. I am a lot more confident that he will have a more comfortable winter with that make.

Ella19

Visit site
Agree with other, whilst working on a big livery yard PE rugs were my worst nightmare as they are big, bulky and extremely heavy when wet. Its for that reason I won't get one for my pony!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Bucking the trend, I used the Titan 40 all last winter & it didn't leak a drip :)
It was on a rug trasher & didn't get destroyed either!
A Bustino 200 however, only lasted 18 months... but then that was not as high denier on the outside.
I've had the trio outer & used the liners (100 or 200) and all have sat well inside, over the winters 10/11, 11/12 & 12/13.
Rug didn't leak at all either......

OP, if thats what you want, then go for it. The PE rugs are like marmite - people either love them or hate them :)

Worldiscomplete

Visit site
I love my PE - got the one where you can get the outer liner plus the three inner liners. It's never leaked and my boys live out 24/7. I thought their customer service brilliant as I miss measured and had to send first one back. The other thing I love about them is they don't move/slip and the outer sheet is very tough. I don't need any other rug now.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ooohhh........ I was thinking of getting these rugs for mine: am thinking twice now!!!

Shall stick with my trusty Weatherbeeta's I think then: at least I know they'll more-or-less fit the beastie!

Have had sweet itch rugs from PE in the past: they're nice & cheap and cheerful, and good for that purpose (have never had any of their turnout rugs) - although the sizing can be a bit tricky with their stuff IME: either too small or WAY too big.

ihatework

Visit site
Admittedly I'm a self confessed rug snob, but I can't stand PE turnouts. I have found them very bulky, heavy and not particularly breathable.

If you are on a budget I have been impressed with the revamped shires rugs, they do a useful lightweight with a bit of fill which works well on its own or would also work well as a liner under a middleweight for colder days.

Jinnie

Visit site
Very very heavy,but more worryingly we had an instance when we think another horse pulled at rug the only the liner tore and the became tangled around horses legs the chest straps stayed put at became very tight around horses neck. luckily hes a calm boy and stayed still until someone saw him and cut the liner off him.Thought it was a fluke and replaced liner only for same thing to happen again but this time liner just went sideways.Conclusion was that new horse in field liked to grab at backside of other horses rugs.
Won't use liners again!

paddy555

Visit site
as I am not the only person to find these extremely heavy when wet it would be interesting to know why the people who love them don't find them heavy. Is it because they leave them on 24/7 and don't take them off the horse when they are wet or is there some other reason?

If I had read this thread, or some of the others about PE rugs before I got mine I would have saved a lot of money. OTOH the PE liners do fit my Rambo amigo lite so all was not wasted. Customer service was dreadful. They offered me a 5% discount of a new PE. They clearly didn't understand that the only word I applied to their rugs was "bargepole"

eggs

Visit site
As others have said, they are very heavy although I have never had a problem with them leaking. I prefer the Rambo Duo as they are much lighter but do have two of my horses in the PE as they fit them better than the Rambo. They are both deep through the shoulder, girth and chest. The Rambo seems to fit the more TB type build better.

soulfull

Visit site
As others said they get very heavy when wet and don't dry out very well.
I now buy either amigo 1200 or the best shires ones. I am much happier with these

bouncing_ball

Visit site
as I am not the only person to find these extremely heavy when wet it would be interesting to know why the people who love them don't find them heavy. Is it because they leave them on 24/7 and don't take them off the horse when they are wet or is there some other reason?

If I had read this thread, or some of the others about PE rugs before I got mine I would have saved a lot of money. OTOH the PE liners do fit my Rambo amigo lite so all was not wasted. Customer service was dreadful. They offered me a 5% discount of a new PE. They clearly didn't understand that the only word I applied to their rugs was "bargepole"

It is odd isn’t it. My two clipped warmbloods lived out in PE 100gm trios with a range of liners. Never leaked in all the rain of last winter. They dont have a field shelter. Never rubbed, are a good fit on two very different horses. Are heavier when wet than dry, but so IMO are all winter rugs. Not exceptionally heavy IMO. I rode daily, even in the rain (as going to February Regionals) so had to keep going. I really like PE rugs. I don’t rate any rug below 1200 Dernier, so not sure if the problems are with the lower spec PE rugs? I only use the 1680 Dernier ones.

I have two trios for each horse, 9 liners, and this is us sorted for the winter.

I have had a chest clip break and a cross strap break, in 5 years of living out in PE rugs – both times company v helpful.

fairyclare

Visit site
Thinking of buying a Premier Equine turnout for my 16.3 gelding…Can anyone with a PE turnout help me choose?

I am v tight on cash, so am thinking about buying the Buster Titan 40, then when it's cold, putting liners underneath to make it up to 200/300gm as required.

Can anyone tell me, in reality do the liners work well? Do they stay put, and are they easy to take on/off? Would I be better buying a conventional 200/300gm rug instead?

Thanks guys!

This is exactly what I did last year! Both ponies had a pretty purple Buster Titan 40g in the PE 20% deal of the day type sale, I already had liners for 1 horse but I bought some horseware liners for the youngster and they both lived in them for the winter with different liners for the varying temperature.
I will be doing the same this year too - I haven't quite got round to having a clear out of the other rugs I now don't need though!

A tip, incase you didn't know - the horseware liners fit these rugs too and are very slightly cheaper (and easier to buy in a tack shop) than the PE liners.

Foxy O

Visit site
I have PE rugs, one of them I bought did leak but it turned out they had had a bad batch and they sent another one out that arrived the same day they collected the leaky one.

At first I bought the 450g rug but then went for the light weight with liners, as I found it far more versatile. I never noticed them being exceptionally heavy when wet but the 6'9 rugs at that thickness are always going to be heavy anyway.

They have a nice depth as I found other makes I weren't long enough for my old ISH

Casey76

Visit site
I bought a buster trio for my mare last year. I ended up only ever using the 100g fill outer, but never found it heavy or overly bulky. It also never leaked once, and Tartine was always snug under it.

My only bug bear is the velcro neck fastenings - I much prefer a clip on "cape" (like my Decathon rugs).

Having said that I can imagine any 400g+ rug being heavy when wet.

Annagain

Visit site
I've got a few PE rugs and love them - yes they're quite heavy when wet, but so are my other rugs and I don't think they take any longer to dry out. I've never known any of mine leak. Both mine have Buster lightweight turnouts - one with a neck, the other without and the one without is the only one I have that doesn't let water in around the front.

I have a 100g Buster, with a separate neck cover and a 200g liner for cold days (I have plenty of other 200g rugs so didn't get the 100g liner). My boy is a very warm horse so doesn't need more than 300g but it's nice to know I can just buy another liner if I need it and don't have to buy a separate rug.

I like that they're longer than a lot of rugs so on my two big boys they don't look like they've shrunk in the wash. I particularly like the 'puffed up' neck covers and I'm sure it's no coincidence that my boy didn't lose his mane last winter in that neck cover but my share horse in a normal neck cover did.

Last edited:

mudmudmud

Visit site
I've had my PE 4 years now and I've never had it washed or re-proofed and it doesnt leak one bit! Maybe the older ones are better than the new ones?

I'll found out anyway, I have just bought a medium weight for my pony so I'll see when it's cold enough for her to wear it!