Those without arenas/sand paddocks how do you cope?

nikicb

www.facebook.com
School in field when I can otherwise box to an arena. It's a pain, but the compromise I made to have mine at home.

ETA when I school in our field it is an area that is set aside for that purpose and marked out with white boards (well white guttering) and letters. We mow and harrow it regularly so it is a reasonable surface to work on.

Last edited:

oldhat

Visit site
I have no proper school which is annoying as I had one where I last lived so I also use fields and roads to school; in a few weeks til next spring there are also acres of stubble fields which are great if the weather is ok but terrible when too wet, as are wet grass fields! Only answer is to either build said school or move nearer to one!!

Dirtymare

Visit site
I school in a field we keep especially for schooling.
Works out very well for me as my mare had always struggled in deep arenas.
Its a well drained and sandy soiled field which we have sectioned off a 20x40 part for flat work and have jumps up for those who jump.
It also teaches your horse that grass is not just for galloping on.

staceyn

Visit site
We are on clay soil its not good at all is there any way of making it less boggy without having to construct an arena? it is not my land so do not want to spend money to improve someone elses house but can not move yards as it is my own private free livery and i have stallions so that wouldnt be an option.
Many thanks

Supertrooper

Visit site
In summer we school and jump in field and hack out.

In winter we normally don't ride at all apart from the odd hack xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
School on the road, hire one, just hack, not everyone can afford sand schools

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

And every time I look out of the window and see the horses at home, think that I would not go back to livery whatever facilities were on offer.

Trix98

Visit site
I just hack.. unfortunately the feild Patch is kept in is not very good ground and difficult to school in. When the crops are cut I school in those fields but other than that we just ponder out :rolleyes:

Muddy Wellies

Visit site
I hire a school now and then but hardly even, maybe once a month. I mow and have marked out a schooling area in the field with markers and sometimes put the jumps in there. Other than that, school on the roads. I think it does the horses good to do most of it in field.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Well I'm looking to move to a farm without one from a yard with one! I hardly used it before and love hacking so tend to school whilst out - there is one down the road to hire...can you do the same? Or box to one? Set up one in the field?

orionstar

Visit site
We used to ride in a field at the top of the farm. It was great in the winter especially as the bungalow opposite had a security light you could trigger, if you rode up to the hedge and waved your arms!

Footlights

Visit site
We used to ride in a field at the top of the farm. It was great in the winter especially as the bungalow opposite had a security light you could trigger, if you rode up to the hedge and waved your arms!

I do the same!! Our field backs onto houses with floodlights in their gardens; when we ride in the field it triggers the lights and allows us to school in the dark! It's a bit cheeky but no one has ever said anything!!