Thought are with horse owners in Somerset BBC news.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I am feeling so sad for all the people in Somerset where the bad floods are, just saw a horse stables and a ménage feet under water on the news.. I just pray all people and animals have been moved to a place of safety. There is nothing that can be done now but pray the waters go down soon. At least no lives have been lost. So heartbreaking to see it happening .

Merrymoles

Visit site
Yesterday morning on Radio 4 I heard a lady in Moorland said she couldn't be evacutated as she had lots of animals, including horses. This morning they are saying water levels have risen another metre and I have been wondering whether she has managed to find somewhere for her horses or whether they are all still there.
It must be an absolute nightmare and I feel for everyone involved but especially for those with livestock. Evacuating yourself and pets from home is one problem but trying to cope with horses, cows, sheep etc is a whole different level.

Janesomerset

Visit site
It must be terrible. On the BBC news this morning, I saw horses being loaded into boxes and evacuated from somewhere on the Somerset Levels (missed the first part of the broadcast) and there was a barn full of hay gradually disappearing under water. However will they replace that? Feel so sorry for them.

hnmisty

Visit site
It's sad for them, but the people I feel worse for are the farmers. My dad got home not much before 11pm last night after helping with the evacuation of 550 cattle from the levels.

It's sad for horse owners, but they can find a livery yard and just suck up and pay for the duration. It's not ideal, and of course it's infuriating, but they are hardly facing financial ruin. They aren't looking out onto their ruined fodder that they spent all summer working on, they aren't already in hundreds of thousands of pounds of debt, and they chose to purchase properties on the levels, unlike farmers who will have inherited their land down through the generations.

My pony was temporarily flooded out of her stable thanks to the work being done on the house next door (his scaffolding planks got swept against the bridge). Luckily my neighbour had a stable I could borrow, and we lost half our hay. Imagine that happening on the 500 times the scale. I can't.

It's awful for everyone affected, and I really hope the water level starts falling soon, or there are going to yet more British farmers and their knowledge of the land lost.

Dollysox

Visit site
I really feel for everyone affected by the flooding. Watching the footage last night of the farms where the cows were knee deep in floodwater in their barns was awful. And the scenes with acres and acres of land under water ... I just don't know how on earth some of them are going to recover. It should never have been allowed to get to this situation. The Government have known there is a problem in the area since the beginning of January - it isn't like it has just happened overnight.

Turks

Visit site
It's sad for them, but the people I feel worse for are the farmers. My dad got home not much before 11pm last night after helping with the evacuation of 550 cattle from the levels.

It's sad for horse owners, but they can find a livery yard and just suck up and pay for the duration. It's not ideal, and of course it's infuriating, but they are hardly facing financial ruin. They aren't looking out onto their ruined fodder that they spent all summer working on, they aren't already in hundreds of thousands of pounds of debt, and they chose to purchase properties on the levels, unlike farmers who will have inherited their land down through the generations.

My pony was temporarily flooded out of her stable thanks to the work being done on the house next door (his scaffolding planks got swept against the bridge). Luckily my neighbour had a stable I could borrow, and we lost half our hay. Imagine that happening on the 500 times the scale. I can't.

It's awful for everyone affected, and I really hope the water level starts falling soon, or there are going to yet more British farmers and their knowledge of the land lost.

My thoughts exactly. It's a hard enough job when the money comes in and the sun shines. Absolutely puts our gripes in perspective.

p87

Visit site
It's terrible for everyone involved, especially the farmers, I agree with hmisty. At least they have the option to move to a livery yard out with the area if needs must, their entire livelihoods aren't being ruined unlike the farmers.

Still devastating for everyone involved though, and I feel very lucky that I live in the hills and only have to contend with calves deep mud.

Janesomerset

Visit site

Yes. agree with this entirely. Just that my friend and I, as horse owners, were saying this morning we are very lucky compared to owners on the Levels. At least we only have mud and an underwater muck heap.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I can only echo what has already been said. I feel so badly for them and wish that there was something more that could be done to help, but sadly I think that point has already been passed and all that can be done now is salvage what can be salvaged and stay as safe as possible. Thank goodness that they have managed to save so much of the livestock.

Can only hope that when the water does eventually recede that all those promises currently being made by local and national government are kept and that the money promised is spent wisely aiding those most in need and that it doesn't disappear into petty bureaucratic sinkholes.

Equi

Visit site
I hope that noones animals are suffering too badly, this flooding is awful! Best wishes to anyone effected, ill keep praying for the waters to go away!!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
absolutely heartbreaking watching 'tough' farmers holding back the tears as their livelihoods are ruined by the floods, i just hope they don't get forgotten as soon as the water disappears, recovery will take a long time and sadly in some cases may be impossible :(

Polos Mum

Visit site
It is terrible, there is a video doing the rounds on facebook of a poor farmer that can't even speak he's so upset - evacuating 100's of cattle and watching the water ruin his feed and grass for the spring all gone.
24800 acres under 60 million cubic meters of water - difficult to imagine but it's 2200 IBC containers of water on EVERY acre!

Does anyone know how to donate to fodderaid - I've seen it mentioned a couple of times and I have spare hay they could have - not that 50 bales would go that far but it can't hurt either?

hnmisty

Visit site
Polos Mum, where abouts in the land are you? I am sure I read there is a fodder distribution centre just off the M5.
Here's a link http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/06/02/2014/143167/flood-hit-farmers-how-you-can-help.htm

I think this is the guy who my dad was helping yesterday. I was kind of hoping he'd get another claim to fame and give a really embarrassing interview :p (He was interviewed during F&M. I went into school the next day and all my friends had seen him. I was mega embarrassed :D)
http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2014-02-06/farmer-speaks-about-his-flooding-nightmare/
I am surprised this poor chap has even managed to get any sleep. He must be eaten up with worry.

liz4949

Visit site
I am in Somerset, thankfully just on the edge of the flooding and it is an unbelievable huge area flooded. You can't imagine it from the tv images. As others have said there is an evacuation of humans and livestock going on as we are in the middle of another storm tonight.My horse has been in for days as I feel the winds are just too dangerous to put him out in although some are out around us, just stood in standing water 24/7. Everyone makes there own call I guess.

babymare

Visit site
I echo your words shysmum. Having being flooded once) and no way near to extreme the poor people down south are exoerincing)you are all in my thoughts. Does anyone know if there is a fund to donate to? . I seriously want to do something however small to help. Stay safe everyone x x x

Tobiano

Visit site
Lord I hadnt realised how bad it was. Also wishing everyone to stay safe and yes would be good if anyone knows of a fund. Those poor people and especially the farmers.

flaxen tail

Visit site
Its horrendous really feel for those people. There are appeals google Somerset Flood Appeal and they will come up but I think they should mention the appeals when the floods are are the news as its such a disaster.

skint1

Visit site
Every time I see all that devastation on the tv I just feel like crying for the farmers, householders, businesses, everyone who has been affected. I can't imagine what I would do in that situation, my heart really goes out to them

putasocinit

Visit site
I dont think anyone should make comparisons between horse owners or farmers, they are all suffering right now, and yes horse owners can move the horses if they can find a livery yard, lets hope everyone comes out of this okay, i certainly give thanks that it is not me in this siutation, god bless them all

MochaDun

Visit site
There was a piece on our late night local BBC Points West news about horses in that Moorland area in Somerset - the local people who were there all filling sandbags for everyone else in the area to try and help out had all gone also and helped a woman move her small herd of Dartmoor ponies - all unhandled ones I think she said and yet everyone pitched in and got them moved - took about 2 hours and the lady said she was so proud of her two sons as they'd never handled a horse in their life. Everyone rallying round it was brilliant. There was also a mobile food van that had had endless donations of food given to them to leave out for people who couldn't get to shops and someone else making a plea for farmers that weren't suffering to donate bales of silage, hay, straw or whatever they could spare for those that were in trouble with the floods.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Just seen on facebook that one of the local competition centres (King Sedgemoor) have filled their stables with 22 refugees and another friend was offering space for 3/4 yesterday so hopefully everyone that needs to move theirs can.

Dreamer515

Visit site
it is amazing the amount of support that people are giving. i live in somerset myself, not on the levels thankfully, and everyone i have talked to are offering help or donating when they can. fair play to sedgemoor auction centre at J24 taking in the cattle. they are asking for feed/bedding for cattle and well any livestock. it is amazing the amount of support and really restores your faith in man kind. Thank you to everyone that is helping/donating.

siennamum

Visit site
from fb:

Junction24, Somerset

on Friday

PLEASE HELP WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT! Our hearts go out to all those local farmers over moorland and somerset this week. The floods are causing more and more devistation everyday and here at Junction 24 we are doing everything we can do support those and others. We have opened up our pens this week for storage of livestock and we desperetely need your help. Everybody is working hard here to lend a helping hand but we are looking for donations to help the boys working day and night to support these farmers and their animals. To make a donation for the haulage of these animals please contact GREENSLADES TAYLOR HUNT on 01278 410278 or to make a donation to help with the cost of fodder, straw, feed etc. then please contact NFU on 01278 489291. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SHARE THIS POST ON YOUR WALL. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Pebble101

Visit site
There is a facebook page about this. You can pay for bags of animal feed at one of the local feed merchants and they will deliver a pallet once they have 40 bags paid for.

Dunlin

Visit site
I read on my local Facebook news page yesterday that a lady with Dartmoor ponies (a charity I think) was charged £600 to move them and then £10 per night per horse where she took them, it's caused quite a bit of outrage when people are doing so much for free. Tesco has also been lending trucks out free of charge to help farmers move livestock. Here's the Facebook page with both articles on it;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaking-News-Somerset-and-Beyond/157570164438129

If you are local you can drop off bedding and feed to Sedgemoor Livestock (J24, M5) who will distribute it. Or the following is taken from the Farmers Weekly website, just remember to MARK THE DONATION FOR SOMERSET (sorry for shouting);

Well-wishers without fodder who still want to help can make donations via the Farming Community Network webpage at Just Giving.

Donations should be marked “For Somerset Farmers.” The web address to donate is www.justgiving.com/fcn/donate .

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/06/02/2014/143167/flood-hit-farmers-how-you-can-help.htm