Thoughts about employing a groom to join the team

measles

Visit site
How do you identify the right person? We are at the stage where, with OH and I working off the yard and A studying, we could do with someone backing us up on the yard. We are a small genuinely friendly family business with high standards and would want to recruit someone who fits in and enjoys working as a team with us sharing the work and the benefits rather than just doing the mundane hard work.

It's been about 10 years since we had someone with us (business was dropped back while I had B) and back then it was so, so hard to find anyone reliable. One groom who was with us for 3 years was fantastic and she is now a good friend, but the others we employed were unreliable and could not work to acceptable standards (think no hooves picked, rugs left off etc) despite my being as careful as I could before they joined us.

So, I guess I am interested in other's thoughts about how to get it right this time. What attracts someone to a position and how is it possible to identify commitment to the job? I haven't found a few days trial to be an effective way of identifying someone who shares our outlook which puzzles me as I am usually a good judge of character. How do you go about it or those who work with horses what was your best/favoured interview process?

Also, how do you quantify the value of training and lots of competing, livery for an own horse, transport to shows for that horse and help there etc? We don't have accommodation but do have other benefits and bonuses. There is another post about equine jobs on here today and some staff receive I believe very low levels of take home pay. I want to be fair and reasonable and motivating for someone but also need to ensure I don't bankrupt myself!

General thoughts?

amage

Visit site
Try find an older ex international groom who wants to stay home rather than do a lot of travelling. Essentially I think you want the groom version of Saffy...knows the job, trustworthy, and good with young people!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Well if you take incompetents that are nice I'll come and work for you :p

No idea, sorry. Just didn't want to read and run. I think if you're going to offer genuine instruction and transport rather than just the promise of it that would be worth quite a lot to people. I have a couple of friends who've groomed for reasonably big names and the promise is always there but the actual fulfilment of the promise is another matter altogether ;) Could you not offer static caravan accomodation? A couple of live ins on our yard had the house and then one of the girls had the caravan. Just a thought.

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Saffy can be shipped to me... Or i can be your groom and take over the ride on Saffy until A is ready ;-)

If you are going to offer competitions and lessons (a big plus for me) be clear from the start how often this is likely to be.

Be clear about pay and holiday - this has caught me out before.

I'd go on word of mouth - someone who you know and trusts recommendation. You could speak to local instructors who may have a pupil who is suitable. Or theres a page on facebook where you can advertise - grooms jobs and riders i think its called.

Good luck!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Me me me! I'll come and work for you if you have space for the Moot and her big bruv! I'll just sleep in the stable ;)

I'm not really sure about the value of stables etc, I get paid my wage and pay for my horses separately so they don't have to work that out. I use to work for someone who took what she offered in terms of stables, lessons and accommodation very seriously, despite me not having any of it, I got paid 2 pound an hour... :D

amage

Visit site
I meant Saffy type in terms of the great experience and fun she has given you all! In terms of payment/what you are offering I would pm JanetGeorge on here. She looks to offer a very good package to her grooms and treats them very well so I would imagine she could a) guide you in quantifying training etc and b) possibly recommend someone

measles

Visit site
If you are going to offer competitions and lessons (a big plus for me) be clear from the start how often this is likely to be.

Be clear about pay and holiday - this has caught me out before.

I'd go on word of mouth - someone who you know and trusts recommendation. You could speak to local instructors who may have a pupil who is suitable. Or theres a page on facebook where you can advertise - grooms jobs and riders i think its called.

Good luck!

Clarity is a good point as is word of mouth, and thanks for the page suggestion

measles

Visit site
I'm not really sure about the value of stables etc, I get paid my wage and pay for my horses separately so they don't have to work that out. I use to work for someone who took what she offered in terms of stables, lessons and accommodation very seriously, despite me not having any of it, I got paid 2 pound an hour... :D

It does sound as though many people are in that position which long term is untenable I think. I'd rather build a relationship that was for the longer term than wear someone out and starve them in the short term!

measles

Visit site
In terms of payment/what you are offering I would pm JanetGeorge on here. She looks to offer a very good package to her grooms and treats them very well so I would imagine she could a) guide you in quantifying training etc and b) possibly recommend someone

Thanks, amage, will do that.

Someone needs to tell me how to do multiple quotes at once! ;)

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
It does sound as though many people are in that position which long term is untenable I think. I'd rather build a relationship that was for the longer term than wear someone out and starve them in the short term!

I do think in the horse industry, the value of good staff is somewhat taken for granted. People who want the job are ten a penny, but people who are worth employing are few and far between. Speaking from experience, having a boss who appreciates you is far more important than wages, as realistically everyone who works with horses does it for the love. So as long as you can live off your wages, having a lovely boss who says thank you and delivers on their promises is the most important thing.
I loved every job I've had with horses, but there are times I feel taken for granted, and its far more disheartening than getting paid 2 pound an hour! ;)
However I'd work for you in a heartbeat, so I'm not sure that's anything you need to concern yourself with!

EventingMum

Visit site
Legally you have to pay minimum wage and the tax and national insurance etc then charge them seperately for any tuition or livery. I charge my staff a reduced rate for livery and lessons and it comes out of their packets each week. You would also need employers liability insurance and have risk and fire assessments in place.

From what you have said it would be a great opportunity for someone and the attraction of having their own horse would appeal to a lot of people. Hopefully you can find someone reasonably locally so the accomodation isn't an issue - you're fairly centrally positioned which should help. It may be worth speaking to any trainers(DG etc) as they often know of people. Good luck :)

WellyBaggins

Visit site
There are people out there, for me, the opportunites and working environment are more important than £ but I don't have any responsibilities, just my horse ;) word of mouth is the way to go if poss, I have been in my job nearly 10 years :eek: good luck, I am sure you won't have a problem finding someone!!!

measles

Visit site
Legally you have to pay minimum wage and the tax and national insurance etc then charge them seperately for any tuition or livery. I charge my staff a reduced rate for livery and lessons and it comes out of their packets each week. You would also need employers liability insurance and have risk and fire assessments in place.

From what you have said it would be a great opportunity for someone and the attraction of having their own horse would appeal to a lot of people. Hopefully you can find someone reasonably locally so the accomodation isn't an issue - you're fairly centrally positioned which should help. It may be worth speaking to any trainers(DG etc) as they often know of people. Good luck :)

Thanks, EventingMum. I have all the obligatory aspects covered, it's now to identify the committed person that it is so difficult. Will mention to DG today - good suggestion.

Worried1

Visit site
Our head girl has been with us for 4 years she's been fantastic, she leaves us in February and we are already worrying about replacing her!
I try to always go with my guy instinct, it's usually right. We've had some part time staff who the less said about them the better!!!!
I think a good level is ensuring the basics are done to your requirement and then knowing no one ever does it quite like you. We have a job list which is done everyday no matter what then weekly extras which are done when there is time.
This means even freelancers can come in and pick up.
Mr Worried doesn't do manual ;) but I do and I think pitching in and never asking someone to do something you wouldn't helps.
Food helps too! We supply it in vast quantities and I think it works! Biscuits, tea, coffee, cakes, pizzas and fry ups! They tell us the stay for the food ;)

sarahann1

Visit site
Mr Worried doesn't do manual ;) but I do and I think pitching in and never asking someone to do something you wouldn't helps.
Food helps too! We supply it in vast quantities and I think it works! Biscuits, tea, coffee, cakes, pizzas and fry ups! They tell us the stay for the food ;)

This 100% and i agree with whoever said don't make promises you won't be able to keep. I've worked at a riding stables and I was promised a lot and got very little in the end. Long days with commonly only a 15min lunch break was the norm and the instructor training lessons, and extra stable management lessons never appeared, even the riding lessons all but stopped. It was really disheartening.

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Very encouraging to hear! :)
Sorry measles, half my reply has walked! I wanted to say, for me personally £ is not that important, opportunities and working environment are but I have no responsibilities, just my horse, before the bit that actually appeared, stupid Internet :rolleyes: good luck, there are people out there and I am sure you will have no problem, word of mouth is def the way to go :)

Last edited: