Thoughts for daughter and friend please

dunthing

Visit site
My daughter and her best friend are at this moment in the Atlantic Ocean rowing towards Antigua. They are taking part in the Atlantic rowing race and theirs is in aid of Breast Cancer Care. They set off on 2nd december and hope to reach Antigua in about 80 days or so. This all depends on weather, waves, winds and whales, etc. They should be fine as they have both taken part in dragon boating for some years and they won a team silver in Canada a few years ago.

Weezy

Visit site
Wow, how fantastic are they
grin.gif
Wish them all the best to reach their goal.

dunthing

Visit site
They have both lost family members to breast cancer and it is a very worthy cause. The organisation is fantastic as we can send messages to them and they have a satellite phone for a very expensive weekly call. Each family member gets the call and phones everyone else in turn. I think they're incredibly brave. They had to anchor for the first night in 30 ft waves but are trying hard to make up the lost time. I couldn't even row across the boating lake

happy_talk

Visit site
wow, that's fantastic. I hope they make it! I read and watched ben fogel and james cracknell's attempt. it's an amazing achievement and in a very worthy cause. Good luck to them!

dunthing

Visit site
I am very proud of both of them. They were both seasick for the first 48 hours but it seems to have passed now. I checked their progress at about 6pm and they are catching up with the others after anchoring off an island overnight in 30 foot waves. Very sensible girls. Two of the boats have pulled out already, one due to a man overboard. He was in the water for a long time and the other crew member couldn't see him due to the wave height. He is ok now and will try again next year. The other I think was a technical problem with the rudder. Scary stuff. The first time I went on a cross channel ferry, I located the life jacket locker and sat on it all the way over!!

dunthing

Visit site
Just to say that they have a website and I cant put the link to it. If you google Atlantic Rowing Challenge, that will take you there. I feel sure that any donations or sponsors would be very gratefully received. It tells you how to donate on the site. They have already raised over £68,000 for the boat, equipmen, food etc. The boat will be sold when they return and any money raised will go to Breast Cancer care. Many thanks for all your good wishes. I will let them know that you're thinking of them tomorrow