Thoughts on a stallion

emlybob

Visit site
If you want to produce a dressage horse then my favourites are:

Wolkenderry
Legrande
Dunhill Pursuit
Flemmingh
Furst Heinrich (deceased but is frozen available)

All very different but quality in their own right

sallyf

Visit site
Depends what you want to breed for ,but if shes anything like the other showmakers i have seen you would want something light and modern with a quicker hindleg for dressage

Faberge

Visit site
What are her conformation strengths and weaknesses? What are her paces all like? What is her temperament/trainability like? And do you have any pictures? Does she have a comp record? Very hard to give helpful, relevant suggestions without seeing a good confo pic of her.
Do you have a maximum budget in mind for the stud fee? And what exactly are you trying to produce? A dressage horse for a professional or an amateur etc etc?

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I cant link as on phone but I put above how to see a video of her. She is highly thought of by people but has just got an injury and we may give her a long time off. Dressage horse is the aim

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Not sure she is being scanned tomorrow. She started going crooked ,quarters to left tail to right. Next day massive off hind. Box rested and hosed for 5 days now leg looks normal but having scan and if any damage we would like to give long rest. Thought maybe have a foal to keep.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Oh no, but fingers crossed it's nothing serious, at least you're in no rush to get her back into work.

I love Wolkenderry and if I had a decent mare to put in-foal she'd go straight to him. Have you looked at his Facebook page? Lots of lovely pics of him hacking and going XC too and having fun, looks like he has an amazing temperament.

SusieT

Visit site
if your young mare can't stand up to work why on earth would you want to breed a similar horse? breeding is not something to be done becasue your horse has ovaries and is no longer rideable.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Thank you SusieT.She just needs time to mature .We would keep the foal as I have once before he is now 17 years old. The vet has suggested putting her in foal after seeing completely normal hindleg scans and think the injury was caused by slipping on the road. Horses that move as well as her put strain on their body and we want to give her time as she is to spend her life with us

FreddiesGal

Visit site
Thank you SusieT.She just needs time to mature .We would keep the foal as I have once before he is now 17 years old. The vet has suggested putting her in foal after seeing completely normal hindleg scans and think the injury was caused by slipping on the road. Horses that move as well as her put strain on their body and we want to give her time as she is to spend her life with us

I don't understand why people think that just because the vet has suggested it people seem to think they are obliged to. If she's having soundness issues and problems with her legs, the last thing she wants is extra weight on them.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
She has no problems .She slipped on the road we noticed she was not moving straight and had her tail to the side. Next day her leg was big. Called vet. Hosed and box rest for a week. Leg normal but had scan to check. Perfect scan but asked vet opinion on having a foal as we had worried all week about her and thought she might have injured ligament and thought we would rather give her time to mature . He said good idea but keep her in work and at 6 when she has had the foal she will soon go through the levels and stay sound. Lots of dressage horses dont as they are asked too much too soon. We dont want to do that. We are aware of the strains put on dressage horses because of the extravigant paces. A year off will do her no harm.

SusieT

Visit site
a five year old who can't cope with the work level appropriate to her age does not count as one of those who is worth breeding from-most vets are happy to let clients breed as time off will do the horse good, and clients like being told their mare is worth breeding from-it is the attitude that 'dressage horses' are so different that they put strain on their legs and that this is acceptable that leads to dressage horses having poor soft tissue strength and being bred for a conformation that predisposes to ligament strains. try not to be blinded by the whole 'my horse is a fancy dressage horse' thing.... And if you can manage to put any replies on open forum rather than by moaning pm that would be great....

sare_bear

Visit site
Hmm, its amazing how people are jumping on the OP, about not breeding from what looks to be a very quality mare, just because she had a big leg for 5 days!! See far more rubbish being bred from and no one commenting that they shouldn't. I think that some of these big moving warmbloods get pushed too fast, too early, because they have natural talent, without their bodies being ready for that level of work.

Not many suggestions on the stallion front as not into dressage, but did like Wolkenderry when I saw him. I think it would be easier for people to give suggestions if you could post a pic of her standing so could see her basic conformation.

Good luck and hope you find a nice stallion for her.

stoneybroke

Visit site
I hope u enjoy the whole process and r not but off by the aggressive responses on here to a perfectly acceptable question. My only recommendation is see as much stock as u possibly can from your chosen shortlist of stallions....it is after all about using a stock getter. Enjoy :)

Tempi

Visit site
Just wanted to add a reply to this, after seeing some videos I think she looks fab, shes a gorgeous mare.

I would shortlist Johnson (as you know I am biased though!!!) - and I will take those pictures for you if you are still interested. I'll try and do it before it gets dark tonight.

My friend also has an absolute stunner by Wolkenderry and I think if I bred another foal and had a suitable mare that would compliment him he would be my next choice.

Or there is the lovely Amour G, who is also on my list!