Thoughts on bit please

3OldPonies

Visit site
So, new horse, been hacked and not done much for past year, 18, hackney X Tb, tack that came with home had a three ring gag and grakle. Not too keen to change what he is used too, but; he is pretty touchy around the ears, and he is known to have had some trauma around his head but not what exactly (physio thought he'd been hit hard round the head). So, I am thinking that while he definitely is a big powerful, but kind boy, maybe a bit that puts pressure on the poll isn't the best for him. What do you think?

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
If the head trauma was still causing him any agitation, then I would agree that maybe you could try out a bit/bridle that would put less pressure on the poll. My horse has a ps of Sweden bridle which is padded either side of the poll but doesn’t touch the poll itself - if he was v sensitive in this area something like that might help? I think there are cheaper ones around if you don’t want to spend on something that might not work... Otherwise, if he’s just head shy from being hit, nothing to do with poll pressure, then I’d think it would be more of a groundwork thing, as in getting him used to having his face and ears touched without getting frightened. Of course, it’s always worth a try if you think it might make a difference - maybe borrow a different bit and see if he likes it better? Good luck - hope you find a solution

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
why not use the 3ring that came with him and use with 2 reins, 1 on the lower bit that he is used to and the other on the large ring of the snaffle. ride with the large ring rein and you are then only using it as a normal snaffle and you can use the bottom rein if he gets too strong..at least you will be safe and can work out if he would be ok in a normal snaffle

AHarley

Visit site
Have you tried a sheepskin sleeve to go over the poll? I used to have a mare who had terrible pain around the poll which was recurring and difficult to correct. She also came in a three ring waterford and a grackle, we changed her into a plain nose-band and rubber pelham. She was much more comfortable in it. I would really recommend looking at the noseband and poll sleeve.

As for bits if he's not strong he may go nice in a sweet iron loose ring.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
How does he react to the pressure when it is applied? If you use the gag with a curb strap you do limit the rotation/possible rotation but you also could have lots of other options but I think people would need to know more about him and his way of going.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. He's OK with the pressure, I think he is so used to it that he just accepts it as a necessary evil part of being ridden.

I do like the idea of the two reins, so just using the lower as an extra brake if needed can definitely give that a go, maybe with time we could get back to a less strong bit. I'm quite handy at basic sewing to, so could also try making a sleeve for the headpiece.

I have been doing a lot of groundwork with him around his face and ears, he is gradually accepting that I'm not going to hurt him, even managing to brush his forelock was a pain, but now I can do that. So progress is being made, I just want to do the right thing by him as he is a sweet boy and so gentle and kind when you're not trying to touch him near his ears!